PDA

View Full Version : SB Classic won't connect to Wifi or LMS

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 05:19
Have a SB Classic for several years and love it. Purchased a used one from Amazon. It appears to work okay and also seems to be a newer model (remote buttons are illuminated... my other SB remote is not lighted)

It is able to detect my wifi (which does have a unique SSID) but when I try to connect it, I do not get the prompt to supply password. It appears to shut off and start back up returning to the setup prompt.

Have tried factory reset several times including the Press 1 when off and repower to reboot.

Okay... so with ethernet cable... it is able to connect and assign IP with DHCP. It also detects my LMS and when I try to connect it... nothing. I connected it to mysqueezebox.com but it still can't see my LMS and therefore my music.

I did rename host to differentiate between other unit.

Logging into mysqueezebox.com I see firmware listed is 222.

My initial thoughts are is the unit is defective due to the wireless problems but I didn't want to return it just yet.

I did recently reinstall McAfee on server PC and will try turning off firewall, though I think that would affect the other unit too.
It also occurs to me there is an IP address conflict but no new devices were turned on from the time the unit assigns IP using ethernet.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated

Thanks

Alan

aubuti
2014-02-07, 06:56
Firmware 222?! I'm pretty sure the most recent firmware version for a Classic/SB3 is 137. I wonder if perhaps you got a demo model. There are some of these that were sent to retailers that don't have full capabilities. You should probably return it for a refund.

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 07:12
Firmware 222?! I'm pretty sure the most recent firmware version for a Classic/SB3 is 137. I wonder if perhaps you got a demo model. There are some of these that were sent to retailers that don't have full capabilities. You should probably return it for a refund.

Oh no!

Is there anyway to roll back to the older firmware?

Thanks for responding.

alfista
2014-02-07, 08:29
If it's a demo model it's not possible AFAIK, but I doubt you would even have come this far with one of those.
I believe there are also a number of SB3 floating around that were delivered with firmware for a specific customer (don't remember the details), if it's one of those you may be able to have Logitech set up mysqueezebox.com so that new firmware is downloaded.

aubuti
2014-02-07, 08:45
Is there anyway to roll back to the older firmware?
You could try holding down the "Brightness" button on the remote. That's the usual approach to updating firmware.
I'm curious: when you connect to mysb.com, can you play music?
Good luck.

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 09:10
You could try holding down the "Brightness" button on the remote. That's the usual approach to updating firmware.
I'm curious: when you connect to mysb.com, can you play music?
Good luck.

I didn't actually try to play music from there as I was (at that point) obsessed with playing from my LMS! :mad::mad:

But I will give that a try when I get home.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Recoveryone
2014-02-07, 09:17
I have heard of such units selling on ebay by businesses, saying the model was setup for commercial use. The remote comes from the Transporter unit as it was the only one with a backlit remote, no matter all the remotes work with each of the units.

aubuti
2014-02-07, 10:27
I didn't actually try to play music from there as I was (at that point) obsessed with playing from my LMS! :mad::mad:
Fair enough. I was just thinking that if mysb.com gets that much communication with the SB (ie, to report firmware version) then you may be able to confirm that the SB will at least play something. Or confirm that it won't.

Something from another thread today got me thinking that it also wouldn't hurt to compare the MAC address reported by mysb.com (and on the setup screens of the SB, if it shows it) with the one on the sticker on the bottom of the SB. It's kind of grasping at straws, but it only takes a minute or less to do.

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 10:48
Fair enough. I was just thinking that if mysb.com gets that much communication with the SB (ie, to report firmware version) then you may be able to confirm that the SB will at least play something. Or confirm that it won't.

Something from another thread today got me thinking that it also wouldn't hurt to compare the MAC address reported by mysb.com (and on the setup screens of the SB, if it shows it) with the one on the sticker on the bottom of the SB. It's kind of grasping at straws, but it only takes a minute or less to do.

I also saw that mentioned in another thread and will check that.. though the sticker on the bottom is a bit worn. I can make out most of the MAC.

aubuti
2014-02-07, 11:45
If it's any help I think they all begin 00:04:20

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 13:09
If it's any help I think they all begin 00:04:20

MAC address is same on back.
Firewall shut off.

Music from Internet Radio does play.

keeps coming up with connecting to tkmclassics.com when I try to select Connect to LMS

Even after disconnecting from MYSB.com via web interface, keeps going back there.

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 15:06
okay... maybe making some progress here...

Found these instructions to update firmware:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Firmware_update

and managed to roll back to 137.

Did a factory reset and now the wifi works and it connected to my LMS

Yippee!!

Thanks for all the help!

I am sooo glad I don't have to return it!

aubuti
2014-02-07, 16:03
Great, glad to hear it! Enjoy the music.

ajrobson
2014-02-07, 17:08
Great, glad to hear it! Enjoy the music.

Thanks again

Mnyb
2014-02-07, 21:21
Wonder if the player is still registered to the previus owners mysqueezebox.com account , this could cause all kinds of problems ?

ajrobson
2014-02-08, 03:15
Wonder if the player is still registered to the previus owners mysqueezebox.com account , this could cause all kinds of problems ?

I did register it with my own account and could see it listed online at mysb.com so I would assume it was no longer registered with old user.

Mnyb
2014-02-08, 06:36
I did register it with my own account and could see it listed online at mysb.com so I would assume it was no longer registered with old user.

Thats good then :) this is usually not possible if the old user had not removed it !

alfista
2014-02-10, 04:12
Ok, found the stuff I was thinking of before, and it seems I was on the right track see Proprietary SB3 Firmware Turnkey Media Solutions (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95025-Proprietary-SB3-Firmware-quot-Turnkey-Media-Solutions-quot)
Suspect this explains the tkmclassics and the non-standard firmware version. Glad it sorted it self.