PDA

View Full Version : SB2 masquerading as SB3?

HistoricalNick
2014-02-07, 02:13
Hello all,

I've just bought a second-hand Squeezebox Classic. I already had one, which has worked flawlessly for years and which I love.

They're both apparently the same model; but the 'new' one I've just bought won't connect to my wireless networks.

I posted about this yesterday at the Logitech Forums but I've had no response.

Thing is, these are SlimDevices SBs, so I hope you won't mind me posing one question that's really puzzling me again here.

It's this:

I've noticed a VERY strange thing: the 'new' Squeezebox looks exactly like my 'old' Squeezebox, and the label on the bottom of it states that it's version 3. Both this label and the original manufacturer's box in which I received it have the same MAC address printed on them. BUT, when I connect it by wired Ethernet (yes, that works), the 'Player' tab in Logitech Media Server (version 7.7.2), states 'Player Model: Squeezebox2' and has a completely different MAC address. It also shows a little picture of the connected device, which looks like an older, pre-wireless SB, the squat model.

Is it possible that somebody has transplanted some or all of the parts of a Squeezebox 2 into a version 3? If so, I need to take this up with the seller as soon as possible. I'm thinking of sending the thing back to him anyway.

While I'm at it, I may as well describe the connection problem I'm experiencing: I have two wireless networks at home, one broadcast by my ISP's wireless router (Technicolor TG582n) and one by an additional, daisy-chained router (Belkin Wireless G) left over from a previous set-up but still in use. In fact, all wireless devices in the house are connected to the Belkin, including my original Squeezebox Classic.

The 'new' Squeezebox Classic, which I've just bought, sees both network SSIDs but won't connect to either of them wirelessly (the error message is 'Can't connect to wireless network'). As I say, it connects via Ethernet without any problem and, once connected, has updated its FW to 137.

I've done several factory resets and reprogrammed the xilinx chip. I've moved the Squeezebox around. I've disconnected the other Squeezebox. Nothing makes this second Squeezebox connect wirelessly.

Are there any more diagnostic tests that, as a not very expert network user, I can do on the 'new' SB to see what's up?

Any advice gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Nick

bpa
2014-02-07, 02:33
The SB2 electronics are the same as the SB3/Classic just with a new case.

The SB2 has the same case as the SB1 but the electronics are significantly different.

So your problem could be with the wifi card of the "new" player. What does the player setup menu (i.e. then menu press < on remote) menu of the "new" player say about the wireless signal (e.g strength) and mac address. You may need to open it up and check wifi card is seated and antenna are connected.

mherger
2014-02-07, 02:37
> I've noticed a VERY strange thing: the 'new' Squeezebox looks exactly
> like my 'old' Squeezebox, and the label on the bottom of it states that
> it's version 3. Both this label and the original manufacturer's box in
> which I received it have the same MAC address printed on them. BUT, when
> I connect it by wired Ethernet (yes, that works), the 'Player' tab in
> Logitech Media Server (version 7.7.2), states 'Player Model:
> Squeezebox2' and has a completely different MAC address.

Please make sure the player's MAC address is the same as on the label.
You can do this in the firmware settings. Press'n'hold LEFT to get into
that menu. From there you should find the settings, scroll down to the
mac address, then press RIGHT to change it. We have seen MAC address
corruption in the past. It can happen and is easily fixed.

--

Michael

HistoricalNick
2014-02-07, 03:12
Hi,

Thanks very much indeed to both of you for responding so quickly and helfpully!

Resetting the MAC address (I didn't know I could do that - it wasn't showing it to me yesterday) seems to have cured the problem!:D

The MAC address was reported as 'ff fd ff 00 00 00'; as you can tell, I'm no expert but even to me that did look a bit corrupted... So I changed it to what it says on the box and label and various promising things started happening. It was already seeing my two networks' SSIDs, so I felt encouraged that the wi-fi card and antenna were working properly.

Now it's seeing both my NASs (one with and old version of SlimServer, the other with LMS) and it's happily playing!

So, just the MAC address being corrupted can cause such problems? How does that happen?

Anyway, I'm thrilled to bits and very grateful.

Best wishes,

Nick

The SB2 electronics are the same as the SB3/Classic just with a new case.

The SB2 has the same case as the SB1 but the electronics are significantly different.

So your problem could be with the wifi card of the "new" player. What does the player setup menu (i.e. then menu press < on remote) menu of the "new" player say about the wireless signal (e.g strength) and mac address. You may need to open it up and check wifi card is seated and antenna are connected.

Please make sure the player's MAC address is the same as on the label.
You can do this in the firmware settings. Press'n'hold LEFT to get into
that menu. From there you should find the settings, scroll down to the
mac address, then press RIGHT to change it. We have seen MAC address
corruption in the past. It can happen and is easily fixed.

Michael

HistoricalNick
2014-02-07, 04:15
Hi again,

Actually, I do have one more question - and apologies for my ignorance: can the MAC address have got corrupted while this unit was in the post?

I'd guess not - it's surely something that has to be changed while the unit is powered up, right?

It's just that the person who sold the SB to me - on a well known internet auction site;) - described it as 'Hardly used'. It arrived in its original packaging but pretty heavily scuffed and with one of the two front rubber feet missing. Not a big deal - but if the MAC address was corrupt when I turned it on, and that didn't change in transit, it can't have been working properly when it left the vendor. He was pretty rude and unhelpful, by the way.

I need to leave appropriate feedback, so as to warn other potential buyers.

Thanks again,

Nick

bpa
2014-02-07, 04:25
can the MAC address have got corrupted while this unit was in the post?

I'm noit sure if Michael has a technical explanantion for the problem, but SB2/3/Classic forgetting their MAC is a infrequent but known issue (search the forum and you'll see a number of posts). IIRC It has happened to users with normal working players.

mherger
2014-02-07, 04:25
> Actually, I do have one more question - and apologies for my ignorance:
> can the MAC address have got corrupted while this unit was in the post?

I don't know what is causing it, tbh. It just happens :-)

--

Michael