PDA

View Full Version : Track vs Album Art

wcndave
2014-02-06, 08:03
Hi, I keep all my art embedded in the MP3 files, so as I move them around devices they all work.

I notice from time to time that a track is missing cover art, so I decided to sort it all out.

I went through a list of all tracks with no art by simply searching for all files in windows explorer and looking at thumbnails.

I was able to find art, right click and edit ID tag (which is using DBpowerAmp), and add the artwork. Some of them are ok after a rescan, and some are not.

eg: this single track "If I lost you" is a single track, and therefore the albumn is "If I Lost You - Single".

Normally I tag all the tracks and everything works, however the album artwork is blank, and this means it's blank on all devices too..

Here is the "album" view.

Here is the single view when i click on the track.

This does not seem to happen every time, I have a bunch of single tracks like this, and about 20% seem to do this.

Any ideas?

mherger
2014-02-06, 08:21
As you don't mention the LMS version you're using I'd suggest try 7.8.
It has a bunch of artwork related fixes.

--

Michael

wcndave
2014-02-06, 08:50
As you don't mention the LMS version you're using I'd suggest try 7.8.
It has a bunch of artwork related fixes.

Michael

Thanks, I am using 7.7.2 as per http://www.synology.com/en-global/releaseNote/package/SqueezeCenter

There doesn't seem to be a more recent release for Synology, so not sure I can update it.

Seems odd that it happens in some files and not others.

Recoveryone
2014-02-06, 09:45
First off when you rip a disk the album art is attach to the folder that the files was created, not each track. From time to time you will find that the rip did not combine the track titles with the album art and you would get no album cover or get the same track name for each track. Now if you D/L music from Amazon or some other 3rd party they do attach the album cover to each track, for the reason many only D/L singles and not whole albums. So don't cause yourself more work then needed, if you are using a Touch you would be able to see if the album art is working correctly.

Also get Mp3tag (free d/L ) widely used by many to help catalog your collection and find album art.

Mnyb
2014-02-06, 10:13
Also do a complete rescan of everything not only a new and changed

Recoveryone
2014-02-06, 10:33
The more I look at the photos you attach I have to ask some questions

1. did you rip the whole album?

2. Is the single a d/l from a 3rd party?

3. Why in the album pic you have it listed as a single? and no genre?, but the single has all the proper info with it.

I think you may find your answer in how you catalog

RonM
2014-02-06, 21:22
First off when you rip a disk the album art is attach to the folder that the files was created, not each track. From time to time you will find that the rip did not combine the track titles with the album art and you would get no album cover or get the same track name for each track. Now if you D/L music from Amazon or some other 3rd party they do attach the album cover to each track, for the reason many only D/L singles and not whole albums. So don't cause yourself more work then needed, if you are using a Touch you would be able to see if the album art is working correctly.

Also get Mp3tag (free d/L ) widely used by many to help catalog your collection and find album art.

Ripping with dBpoweramp results in album art being embedded in each track file, as well as creation of the file folder.jpg in the album's folder. Some applications make use of only one or the other; it's best to have both. On very rare occasions, dBp doesn't find artwork and you may have to do a further search.

On occasion LMS does not pick up changed art through a simple rescan for changed items. Do a complete rescan and this generally fixes the problem.

When I acquire music other than through ripping a physical CD, I always use MP3tag to check how the artwork is handled. If necessary, I will extract the artwork from a file and add it as folder.jpg to the folder. Sometimes it works the other way -- there is a folder.jpg (sometimes called cover.jpg) but the image is not in the individual track files, so I add it to each one (as a single batch operation, again using MP3tag). If there is no artwork at all, as sometimes happens, I usually find it manually (do a Google image search on the album name). I prefer to control the size of the artwork, with my target being between 500 and 750 pixels on a side. I don't need higher resolution. If all I can find is a giant image I'll resize. I know there are automated methods, but as I'm only adding music to an already fully populated (with artwork) collection, I find this most efficient.

I do find that some downloaded albums (e.g. from eMusic) come with both embedded art and a folder.jpg file, but the artwork dimensions are inadequate, e.g. 200 pixels on a side. If it's something I care about, I'll find a bigger image and replace in both the individual music files as well as the folder.jpg.

R.

garym
2014-02-07, 05:55
Ripping with dBpoweramp results in album art being embedded in each track file, as well as creation of the file folder.jpg in the album's folder.

yes, but to clarify one minor point, dbpa *can* automatically do both, or it can do one or the other depending on one's settings (embeds only if "album art" is ticked in the metadata list). My personal process (using dpba to rip) is to create only a single file in the album subdirectory (named "cover.jpg" with an attempted size of 1000x1000). I do not setup dbpa to embed the artwork in each FLAC file. Then later, I use dbpa converter to create lossy mp3 versions of my files for portable use. In this conversion process, I have dbpa embed the artwork (at a smaller, 500x500 size) in each mp3file and NOT create a cover.jog file in the album subdirectory. This all works perfectly for me using squeezeboxes, vortexbox and windows LMS servers, ipods/iphones/ipads, foobar2000 windows player.

Note: I use "cover.jpg" rather than "folder.jpg" so that windows programs can't automatically (or behind the scenes) modify/change/replace my artwork. Windows can do this with folder.jpg files (as that is the windows standard), but I don't think it messes with "cover.jpg". WMP can be particularly nasty with regard to doing things to one's art that was not expected.

wcndave
2014-02-07, 06:20

Thanks, I was looking on a touch at first, and then went to LMS to look further. When you say album art is attached to the folder, I assume you mean the folder.jpg that gets created.

I really don't like this, as when I make a mixed tape I can lose the art, when I put certain songs on an MP3 player I lose it. I prefer that wherever it goes, the mp3 file has all its information self contained.

Also do a complete rescan of everything not only a new and changed

This actually fixed my problem!

The more I look at the photos you attach I have to ask some questions

1. did you rip the whole album?

2. Is the single a d/l from a 3rd party?

3. Why in the album pic you have it listed as a single? and no genre?, but the single has all the proper info with it.

I think you may find your answer in how you catalog

This was just a single MP3, I have no idea where it came from, I have MP3s going back nearly 18 years... I have a folder full of orphaned tracks, which I may have downloaded to use in home videos, or parties, or any reason really... I was going through "sorting them out" as they all show with no cover art which looks a little ugly, and some were mistagged. I just add the artwork, correct the data, and save it. This also precludes use of folder.jpg as I have one folder with a couple of hundred of these files.

Ripping with dBpoweramp results in album art being embedded in each track file, as well as creation of the file folder.jpg in the album's folder. Some applications make use of only one or the other; it's best to have both. On very rare occasions, dBp doesn't find artwork and you may have to do a further search.

On occasion LMS does not pick up changed art through a simple rescan for changed items. Do a complete rescan and this generally fixes the problem.

Yup, as above that worked. I really should have tried that before posting!! it's like the old "have you tried turning it off and on again?" rule.

I will defo look into the mp3tag program as well, although like RonM, I tend to be doing just the odd files here and there.

Thanks all!

Mnyb
2014-02-07, 06:31
Fyi LMS uses embedded art first then turns to the folder file if no embedded art exists .

That can make it look random if a bunch of files is just orphaned in a folder and that folder also has some jpg files .

For albums7singles LMS is most happy with a one folder per album structure .

Also (since a late 7.8 bugfix ) it should use the embedded art from the first track in an album as "album art" even if the induvidual trakcs gert thier own art in playlists

yes there are digital albums with different art in every track , quite nice actually .

wcndave
2014-02-07, 06:32
yes, but to clarify one minor point, dbpa *can* automatically do both, or it can do one or the other depending on one's settings (embeds only if "album art" is ticked in the metadata list). My personal process (using dpba to rip) is to create only a single file in the album subdirectory (named "cover.jpg" with an attempted size of 1000x1000). I do not setup dbpa to embed the artwork in each FLAC file. Then later, I use dbpa converter to create lossy mp3 versions of my files for portable use. In this conversion process, I have dbpa embed the artwork (at a smaller, 500x500 size) in each mp3file and NOT create a cover.jog file in the album subdirectory. This all works perfectly for me using squeezeboxes, vortexbox and windows LMS servers, ipods/iphones/ipads, foobar2000 windows player.

Note: I use "cover.jpg" rather than "folder.jpg" so that windows programs can't automatically (or behind the scenes) modify/change/replace my artwork. Windows can do this with folder.jpg files (as that is the windows standard), but I don't think it messes with "cover.jpg". WMP can be particularly nasty with regard to doing things to one's art that was not expected.

Interesting. I use the multi-rip so I get both FLAC and MP3 with one action. I find that the file size and the cover art size have not been of enough consequence given price of hard drives to change them, so I go for best quality I can so that they are future proof. (Just think how your pictures will look on that 200,000,000 resolution 4" screen in 2020!)

However I like the idea of the cover vs folder. Is that supported everywhere then? I don't even open windows media players, as they will always do something odd, like try to reorganise files.

Another reason I avoid any jpg files at all in my MP3s, is that various players pick them up as files. So my media TV streamer might pick them up. I remember having every movie's cover art appearing in an and amongst my family pictures when doing slideshows... "Here we are at the beach, Here we are at the hotel, here's the Terminator...." etc...

You can usually link folders and media type, but not always.

garym
2014-02-07, 06:43
Interesting. I use the multi-rip so I get both FLAC and MP3 with one action.

Yeah, I could do this, but I've found that even when I'm fairly careful with my metadata, etc. while ripping I often find that I see something I want to tinker with after I've ripped. I use mp3tag for such "fine tuning". So I double check everything after the rip, do any fine tuning, re-run ReplayGain when I have multidisk albums (so that all disks are treated as a single album when calculating album RG value). Then I run dbpa batch conversion on my FLAC files to create mp3 files (and it only creates mp3 files for the new flac files without me having to identify which is which). So yes, this is an extra step, but 30% of the time, I'd be going in and fixing tags in both FLAC and mp3 files after the fact because of my fiddling anyhow.... (and when done, I move everything to my vortexbox server and backup drives, etc.)