PDA

View Full Version : MOG was the last straw: Moving to the dark side (Sonos)

Viventis
2014-02-04, 20:18
I have been a loyal Squeezebox owner for years. I have owned a Classic v3 (burned out in the sun), a Duet, a Touch and two Radios. My main use of the system is to stream from a premium music service. I tried Spotify, but it doesn't work with my Duet (I tried the mod). I switched to Rhapsody, but my Touch had problems. I thought I found my service with MOG, but now we have Beats and no Squeezebox support. I have Amazon Cloud, but that has never been supported. So frustrating!

I purchased my first Sonos on Ebay (an older ZP80 and a Bridge) I am not blown away but it works simply and elegantly. I will probably add a Connect next, and eventually a couple of Play systems. I love my Squeezeboxes, but I love my music more.

TimT
2014-02-04, 20:24
I have been a loyal Squeezebox owner for years. I have owned a Classic v3 (burned out in the sun), a Duet, a Touch and two Radios. My main use of the system is to stream from a premium music service. I tried Spotify, but it doesn't work with my Duet (I tried the mod). I switched to Rhapsody, but my Touch had problems. I thought I found my service with MOG, but now we have Beats and no Squeezebox support. I have Amazon Cloud, but that has never been supported. So frustrating!

I purchased my first Sonos on Ebay (an older ZP80 and a Bridge) I am not blown away but it works simply and elegantly. I will probably add a Connect next, and eventually a couple of Play systems. I love my Squeezeboxes, but I love my music more.

Glad you found that Sonos better meets your needs. Now that your Touch is worthless to you, send it to me.

JJZolx
2014-02-04, 20:40
I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform.

Viventis
2014-02-04, 20:42
Glad you found that Sonos better meets your needs. Now that your Touch is worthless to you, send it to me.I have the Touch and ZP80 separately connected to my main system. (A-B tests show no difference that I can hear) Once I get more Sonos parts, I will be selling my Squeezeboxes. The Touch holds up well on Ebay so far.

GeeJay
2014-02-04, 21:00
I'm curious if Ickstream will eventually allow folks who use streaming services to continue using their SBs, regardless of the rapid-fire changes in the industry. I'm more tied to my local music collection, so this has never been the hot button for me, although I've almost pulled the trigger on Spotify a few times. The possibilities of integrating my local music and Spotify through the Smart Mix app is what has me seriously considering subscribing.

Sorry if I went on a bit of a tangent there.

aubuti
2014-02-04, 22:31
I tried Spotify, but it doesn't work with my Duet (I tried the mod).
What "mod"? There's no mod required to run Spotify on a Duet Receiver. Just the right plugin.
Likewise, other than the problems of the past couple weeks, Rhapsody works fine on a Touch.

kc5f
2014-02-05, 04:46
"I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform."

Really? I've been using it this way for over five years, listening to Last.fm, Slacker and Pandora as well as some online stations. Should I sell all my Squeezebox gear and start saving up for Sonos?

garym
2014-02-05, 05:22
"I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform."

Really? I've been using it this way for over five years, listening to Last.fm, Slacker and Pandora as well as some online stations. Should I sell all my Squeezebox gear and start saving up for Sonos?

Well, yes, because when logitech pulls the plug on mysqueezebox.com (which is servicing players that have been discontinued for more than a year), you won't be able to use Pandora (and probably not last.fm or slacker either) unless those services are setup in a way to allow a 3rd party plugin to be deployed for LMS use (i.e., like Triode's Spotify plugin). I'm hopeful that something like ickStream will create a bridge between premium streaming services and LMS/Squeezeboxes.

p.s. For me, Sonos doesn't work (easily) for my very large local library among other things. But I've been considering a sonos player as a backup to provide SiriusXM streams (my wife is addicted to all the extra NPR shows available there). It will be like the old days. I'll have to switch "source" on my preamp to move from my Squeezeboxes to a SONOS player, just like I used to switch between RADIO and CD Player.

matka
2014-02-05, 08:08
I think people who are primarily interested in playing streaming online music services should probably be using some other platform.
Don't know about spotify as premium is still not available where I live, but qobuz plug-in works great, flac or mp3, your choice.

Viventis
2014-02-09, 08:21
What "mod"? There's no mod required to run Spotify on a Duet Receiver. Just the right plugin.
Likewise, other than the problems of the past couple weeks, Rhapsody works fine on a Touch.I meant the Triode Plugin. I still had problems with the Duet and Spotify. One song would play, the next would hang the system.

Viventis
2014-02-09, 08:31
The possibilities of integrating my local music and Spotify through the Smart Mix app is what has me seriously considering subscribing.
Sonos natively allows the creation of a queue mixing music from your home collection and streaming services. I just created a short mix of music from my hard drive, MOG and Amazon Cloud. I did it from the PC interface in a couple minutes. It's playing as I type this.

johnas
2014-02-09, 08:41
Yes both can do that. But SONOS does not have anything like the awesome Smart Mix feature developed by MHerger.

GeeJay
2014-02-15, 22:21
Sonos natively allows the creation of a queue mixing music from your home collection and streaming services. I just created a short mix of music from my hard drive, MOG and Amazon Cloud. I did it from the PC interface in a couple minutes. It's playing as I type this.

Has Sonos introduced the concept of rating music and creating dynamic playlists based on those ratings? That's the thing that kept me away before. I think it's pretty cool how mherger was able to integrate Smart Mix with erland's suite of plug-ins.

Viventis
2014-02-23, 17:33
Has Sonos introduced the concept of rating music and creating dynamic playlists based on those ratings? That's the thing that kept me away before. I think it's pretty cool how mherger was able to integrate Smart Mix with erland's suite of plug-ins.I am not yet a Sonos expert. I do know that you can select a song from any source as a Sonos favorite and select among favorite playlists.

garym
2014-02-23, 17:42
I am not yet a Sonos expert. I do know that you can select a song from any source as a Sonos favorite and select among favorite playlists.

I purchased a sonos connect recently as a backup in case we lost SiriusXM (my wife is addicted to certain XM pbs news channels so I didn't want to lose this for even a day or two!) and just to play with it so I could have first hand knowledge. I knew it wouldn't work for my actual music library given its library size limitation and some of the artwork size limits. Just playing with it, it is very restricted and simple as compared with squeezeboxes. That's probably just fine for some users. Anyhow, the answer to your question is NO, there is nothing even remotely like dynamic playlists or smartmix on the sonos. You can create a playlist yourself and randomly play from that playlist. But that's very different from the cool stuff we get from dynamic playlists and smartmix.

Only played with it a bit after setup to see how things work. I can see that Sonos is probably just fine for someone who listens to mostly music services and has a small local library. smart phone and computer remote has very few options. Other than playing albums, playing playlists, and playing music services, telling it to scrobble to last.fm or not, and selecting songs and changing volume, it won't do anything else. Of course those things are fine for many users. I was a bit frustrated because of the way it deals with replaygain values. Seems to only handle track RG value as far as I can tell and from looking in on their forum.

For me, the sonos would be fine for internet radio/services but not my own music.

GeeJay
2014-02-23, 18:26
Thanks, garym. Can't see myself settling for something with so much less functionality.