PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Touch and Squeezeplay Questions

jgcbaiz
2014-01-21, 13:27
I recently discovered Logitech's Squeezeboxes and I am both excited that such a product is invented, and sad that it is no longer produced. I have installed both Logitech Media Server and Squeezeplay on an old laptop, and have been very happy with the results. I have some questions, which I hope this forum can answer:

1. I read somewhere that Squeezeplay is a ported out version of the Squeezebox Touch. Is there a way of playing local mp3 files without the need to install the LMS? I'm thinking of something that will emulate an external HDD being plugged to the SB Touch USB port. Online sources work fine without the server.

2. I have been successful in controlling my Squeezeplay via an iphone from all the way across the pool while playing through external speakers. Is there a way of having the laptop running squeezeplay and LMS control my amplifier's (Yamaha R-S700) volume?

I have been looking on eBay and there are still some new Squeezebox Touch being sold. If I purchase one:

1. Will this unit work without the need for a local server? I am planning on hooking up an external HDD full of MP3 as well as online content from mysqueezebox.com

2. I have read about the IR Blaster plugin to control the amp's power and volume using the SBT. Does this require a hardware mod? If an external blaster is required, how does it hook up to the SBT? Do I require a PC running a server to enable this option?

I would really appreciate any help or pointers you can give me!

Regards;
JGCBAIZ.

garym
2014-01-21, 13:39
1. I read somewhere that Squeezeplay is a ported out version of the Squeezebox Touch. Is there a way of playing local mp3 files without the need to install the LMS? I'm thinking of something that will emulate an external HDD being plugged to the SB Touch USB port. Online sources work fine without the server.

no, not for squeezeplay. but then again, you can run many programs on the laptop running squeezeplay that will play mp3 and other files (I use foobar2000, but winamp, itunes, or others will work, without the need for LMS)

2. I have been successful in controlling my Squeezeplay via an iphone from all the way across the pool while playing through external speakers. Is there a way of having the laptop running squeezeplay and LMS control my amplifier's (Yamaha R-S700) volume?

Not that I'm aware of, although there used to be some various home control plugins. But I easily control volume with the squeezeplay or iphone digital volume control. Set the yamaha volume at a bit louder than you would ever play, then use the Squeezebox digital volume to adjust vol up and down. Because SB uses 24 bit, the detrimental effect of using digital volume is not there so long as you keep it at about 70% or higher.

I have been looking on eBay and there are still some new Squeezebox Touch being sold. If I purchase one:

1. Will this unit work without the need for a local server? I am planning on hooking up an external HDD full of MP3 as well as online content from mysqueezebox.com

yes, it will play local files and internet radio without a server as well as online stuff from mysb.com. However, note (search this forum) that use of "tinyLMS" inside the TOUCH with attached USB HDD is really only "experimental". Works OK for some, disaster for others. Really wasn't ready for primetime. But note that a "server" running LMS, could be a headless, keyboardless miniPC the size of a paperback book with a USB drive attached, sitting in a back cabinet attached to your router.

2. I have read about the IR Blaster plugin to control the amp's power and volume using the SBT. Does this require a hardware mod? If an external blaster is required, how does it hook up to the SBT? Do I require a PC running a server to enable this option?

not sure, but probably need a server.

jgcbaiz
2014-01-22, 13:04
Thank you!

no, not for squeezeplay. but then again, you can run many programs on the laptop running squeezeplay that will play mp3 and other files (I use foobar2000, but winamp, itunes, or others will work, without the need for LMS)

Not that I'm aware of, although there used to be some various home control plugins. But I easily control volume with the squeezeplay or iphone digital volume control. Set the yamaha volume at a bit louder than you would ever play, then use the Squeezebox digital volume to adjust vol up and down. Because SB uses 24 bit, the detrimental effect of using digital volume is not there so long as you keep it at about 70% or higher.

yes, it will play local files and internet radio without a server as well as online stuff from mysb.com. However, note (search this forum) that use of "tinyLMS" inside the TOUCH with attached USB HDD is really only "experimental". Works OK for some, disaster for others. Really wasn't ready for primetime. But note that a "server" running LMS, could be a headless, keyboardless miniPC the size of a paperback book with a USB drive attached, sitting in a back cabinet attached to your router.

not sure, but probably need a server.