PDA

View Full Version : How to set transcoding/resampling

dikkiedirk
2014-01-19, 07:30
I have Logitech Media Server installed on my unraid server.

I have my music share, which holds many .flac files of several quality: 24/88, 96, 176 and 192.

I want them streamed to my Ipad, which runs iPeng, but have a feeling that the files are resampled.

Is this default behavior of Logitech Media Server?

How can I check if Logitech Media Server is doing any transcoding or downsampling?

And how can I control this behaviour?

garym
2014-01-19, 07:34
I have Logitech Media Server installed on my unraid server.

I have my music share, which holds many .flac files of several quality: 24/88, 96, 176 and 192.

I want them streamed to my Ipad, which runs iPeng, but have a feeling that the files are resampled.

Is this default behavior of Logitech Media Server?

How can I check if Logitech Media Server is doing any transcoding or downsampling?

And how can I control this behaviour?

if you haven't changed the default settings of how LMS handles filetypes, the flac files are not resampled...they are sent to the ipeng player on the ipad as the original flac file. However, the iPad itself (not ipeng or LMS) is converting the files that are greater than 24/48 (or 24/96 in some cases). Some ipads connected to the camera connection kit can do either 24/96 or 24/192 (can't recall).

see post #13 in this thread for more info.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100641-Can-iPeng-or-Squeezepad-integrate-control-MOG-or-Spotify&p=768289&viewfull=1#post768289

dikkiedirk
2014-01-19, 08:29
if you haven't changed the default settings of how LMS handles filetypes, the flac files are not resampled...they are sent to the ipeng player on the ipad as the original flac file. However, the iPad itself (not ipeng or LMS) is converting the files that are greater than 24/48 (or 24/96 in some cases). Some ipads connected to the camera connection kit can do either 24/96 or 24/192 (can't recall).

see post #13 in this thread for more info.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100641-Can-iPeng-or-Squeezepad-integrate-control-MOG-or-Spotify&p=768289&viewfull=1#post768289

Thank you so far. I just installed the server a short while ago and haven't changed any settings. Can I see these settings somewhere and edit them?

garym
2014-01-19, 08:35
Thank you so far. I just installed the server a short while ago and haven't changed any settings. Can I see these settings somewhere and edit them?

LMS > Settings > Advanced > file types

keep in mind that unless you are trying to solve a very specific problem, it's probably not a good idea to change these defaults. And also note that no change you can make here in these settings will help with the issue of your iPad being limited to 24/48 in most cases.

aubuti
2014-01-19, 08:36
I'm curious why you appear to be concerned about resampling when the output device is an iPad. It's hard to imagine one could hear any difference between those hi-res versions and 16/44.1 on an iPad (even with good headphones). Or do you have the iPad feeding some higher quality audio device?