PDA

View Full Version : SB3 reboot loop -- hardware error?

GeezerD
2014-01-19, 00:31
My old SB3 fails -- Starts OK from power on, but plays for a few minutes then crashes (blank screen) and reboots. Moved it around in house, changed power supplies, same results.

Is this a common failure? Is it repairable? TIA

Also have SB Touch and SB Boom, which run fine.

Mnyb
2014-01-19, 00:55
Wiggle the power conection , it may be the contact thats loose ?

Try to run it without the wifi card ?

Tried a xilinx reset yet ?

GeezerD
2014-01-23, 19:10
Already tried pulling the wifi card and running hard wired -- same failure. My SB Touch and Boom run fine over wifi. My conclusion is hardware failure in the SB motherboard or daughterboard. Another symptom is that before crashing, the SB music gets a lot of static.

What is a Xilinx reset?

Mnyb
2014-01-23, 20:12
This. Power off hold "1" on the remote pointing at the player , apply power .

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Transporter_xilix_reset
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_La st_FW

A long shot it is probably broken .

GeezerD
2014-01-24, 16:06
This. Power off hold "1" on the remote pointing at the player , apply power .

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Transporter_xilix_reset
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_La st_FW

A long shot it is probably broken .

Got the "programming xilinx" message, then the SB3 started OK, but crashed after playing for a few minutes, the usual sypmtoms. Thanks for trying!
Watching eBay for a replacement.

Know anyone who collects SB3s and repairs them? They can have this one for the shipping cost.

Recoveryone
2014-01-27, 13:59
Have the same issue with one of my SB3's and it was hardly used in my daughters room.

garym
2014-01-27, 14:08
you're not getting the crashing because you're playing Rhapsody or Napster thru the player are you? That is causing players to crash, but is a Rhapsody/Napster issue, not the hardware of the player. Just a thought.....

atrocity
2014-01-27, 14:19
you're not getting the crashing because you're playing Rhapsody or Napster thru the player are you? That is causing players to crash, but is a Rhapsody/Napster issue, not the hardware of the player. Just a thought.....

Interesting...I tried to play Rhapsody on a Touch last night, only to have it reboot. I finally unplugged the player for a minute, plugged it back in and queued up a couple local albums...at the transition between one album and the next, it rebooted again!

Mnyb
2014-01-27, 17:43
Factory reset ? Instead of xilink reset ?

A Touch is afiak setup to reboot if the onboard squeezeplay app crashes .

A Touch is factory via the little button above the powerplug ( use a needle or a paperclip ) or via some menu in the advanced settings .

nicketynick
2014-01-29, 15:42
Funny, one of my SB3's starting doing the same thing this week as well! I changed power supplies, tried ethernet, but still doing the same thing. Still seems to run SuperDateTime without any issues, so that's good.....
I'll try the xilinx just to see.....
Wondering what I can do to help prevent the same from happening to my other SB3????
Any further trouble-shooting ideas appreciated!

Recoveryone
2014-01-29, 15:51
I did all of the resets and even switched out one player for another and the results were the same on the bad unit. Unit sets up fine shows Date & Time fine but when asked to stream it plays for about 10-20 sec and then goes into a reset loop and back to the date & Time.

nicketynick
2014-01-29, 15:59
I did all of the resets and even switched out one player for another and the results were the same on the bad unit. Unit sets up fine shows Date & Time fine but when asked to stream it plays for about 10-20 sec and then goes into a reset loop and back to the date & Time.

Yep, that's it..... but I hate to just give up on it..... I've relied on the gang here for nearly 10 years now, and they haven't let me down yet!

Recoveryone
2014-01-29, 16:15
I have done everything but crack it open at this point, I would like to fix it, but I did just score on another Touch. Always good to have a back up unit for the future.

EricBergan
2014-01-30, 12:37
Add me as another one whose trusty (and last) SB3 has started doing exactly the same thing in the last few weeks. Still makes a great bedroom clock, but need to decide what to do about music in there.

eric