PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeLite on Rasp Pi unable to play BBC Radio streams.

tezza73uk
2014-01-17, 03:06
I hope someone knows the answer and a simple resolution to this...

Strangely, my Rasp Pi running truehl's excellent SqueezePlug software with LMS is unable to play BBC Radio streams using the included SqueezeLite player. When I synchronize my SqueezeBox Radio with the Rasp it is also "Unable to play stream...".

Should I use another player or is there a resolution please experts? :confused:

Cheers
Terry.

castalla
2014-01-17, 03:11
I hope someone knows the answer and a simple resolution to this...

Strangely, my Rasp Pi running truehl's excellent SqueezePlug software with LMS is unable to play BBC Radio streams using the included SqueezeLite player. When I synchronize my SqueezeBox Radio with the Rasp it is also "Unable to play stream...".

Should I use another player or is there a resolution please experts? :confused:

Cheers
Terry.

How are you accessing the BBC stations?

tezza73uk
2014-01-17, 03:49
How are you accessing the BBC stations?

Hi castalla, I've tried a few methods... chiefly using the BBC or TuneIn apps.

bpa
2014-01-17, 03:57
What version of LMS, Squeezeplug and Squeezelite.

Soundsl like you are trying to play the WMA version of the radio stream on a older version of LMS/player.

Install/use the BBCiPlayer plugin not the Apps - this will access AAC stream which can be played on Squeezelite.

tezza73uk
2014-01-17, 04:30
What version of LMS, Squeezeplug and Squeezelite.

Soundsl like you are trying to play the WMA version of the radio stream on a older version of LMS/player.

Install/use the BBCiPlayer plugin not the Apps - this will access AAC stream which can be played on Squeezelite.

Hi bpa, I installed v6 of SqueezePlug which I believe comes with LMS 7.7, and the latest version of SqueezeLite. Where do I install the BBC iPlayer plugin please? On the SB Radio and SLite or elsewhere?

Thanks,
Terry.

bpa
2014-01-17, 06:38
BBCiPlayer is a plugin so you start from LMS WebUI Setting/Plugins

Before making any changes, test if your setup can do AAC stream by playing the BBC R4 AAC stream here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4_aaclca.pls

tezza73uk
2014-01-17, 08:20
BBCiPlayer is a plugin so you start from LMS WebUI Setting/Plugins

Before making any changes, test if your setup can do AAC stream by playing the BBC R4 AAC stream here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4_aaclca.pls

Ok thanks, I've been able to remotely access the WebUI to install the plugin. I assume it will be available when I use my controller once home. Just to clarify, it's not this app I have been using though?

bpa
2014-01-17, 08:31
Did you test the URL I posted ?

tezza73uk
2014-01-17, 09:49
Did you test the URL I posted ?

I'm unable to do so whilst in the office but will do so when I get home. How do I test it with the SB Radio and SLite player please?

bpa
2014-01-17, 10:43
Ok thanks, I've been able to remotely access the WebUI to install the plugin. I assume it will be available when I use my controller once home. Just to clarify, it's not this app I have been using though?

You can also see the BBCiPlayer plugin menu is on WebUI as long as there is a player connected.

The plugin menu will NOT be under the My Apps menu - look under the Internet Radio menu.

I'm unable to do so whilst in the office but will do so when I get home. How do I test it with the SB Radio and SLite player please?

Create and save a Favorite on the WebUI using the supplied URL. Then you can play it from under the Favorites menu.

I suugest test playing the URL because I don't know Squeezeplug and I am concerned with Squeezeplug6 that
(i) version of Linux on Pi is "soft-float" and so cannot do transcoding properly unless properly built support apps (e.g. Fixed point version of faad) have been installed.
(ii) Squeezelite may be an old version that does not have AAC support built in.

I beleive you would not have these issues with Squeezeplugv7 as it is "hard float".

Latest version of Squeezelite support WMA but IIRC only if you provide the ffmpeg WMA support libraries. What is Squeezelite running on ?

tezza73uk
2014-01-20, 02:23
[QUOTE=bpa;768198]You can also see the BBCiPlayer plugin menu is on WebUI as long as there is a player connected.

The plugin menu will NOT be under the My Apps menu - look under the Internet Radio menu.
QUOTE]

Thanks bpa, when I got home the BBC iPlayer was indeed available through Internet Radio and it works a treat. Seems to be only a few seconds behind the FM broadcast rather than 30-40secs with older streams.

I haven't tried the AAC stream link given the add-on is working swimmingly.

Many thanks again :D
Terry.

bpa
2014-01-20, 02:44
[QUOTE=bpa;768198]Thanks bpa, when I got home the BBC iPlayer was indeed available through Internet Radio and it works a treat. Seems to be only a few seconds behind the FM broadcast rather than 30-40secs with older streams.

I haven't tried the AAC stream link given the add-on is working swimmingly.

The BBC plugin access the same AAC streams by default - so the test would have checked whether your setup handled AAC before spending time going through plugin install.

The delay 30-40- sec delay is probably in your LMS setting - probably Radio Buffer size of 30 secs or else some sort of connection delay due to Tunein. I'm guessing your are in the UK, so the short delay is also probably due plugin tries to play the the Flash/AAC stream first which are the best best quality and make fast connection/start-up.