PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts in the Playlist Folder

M7CC
2014-01-16, 14:46
Hi all, I've been using a Squeezebox2 with Slim Server 6.x for quite a few years now. I recently upgraded to LMS (Win7 Pro x64) in order to take advantage of the latest greatest and, sure enough, something I totally depend on is not working.

It involves being able to place shortcuts to other folders in the Playlist folder. I've always done this and pretty much have to as I use playlists for everything. When I am browsing for music, I browse my playlists which are grouped in folders (both by alphabet and very high level Genre).

With LMS7.7.3 (I also tried 7.8 today), the only playlists that show up in the Squeezebox are actual m3u files, not what was in the shortcuts. When I rescan playlists from the PC, I can see it looking through the shortcut folder but everything in there gets ignored. Has anyone else experienced this? I really hope I can get it to work.

M7CC
2014-01-16, 20:19
OK can anyone at least confirm that they are able to point the playlist folder to a folder full of Windows shortcuts (where each shortcut is a folder which contains a bunch of M3U files)?

Here's a simple example:

Mnyb
2014-01-16, 22:43
No experience with this problem but you could white a bug report in bugzilla.
And add to this tread.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com

does it manage subfolders or is it just shortcuts it fails on ?

If you temporarily move a playlist from one of the sub directories up to the main folder does it scan then ?
Me thinking if the file path is still valid , no drive letter changes or anything similar ?

And the server.log and scanner.log files , preferably with debug would probably be of interest if you write a bug report

M7CC
2014-01-17, 22:00
Mnyb thanks for responding. I'm not sure if this is what you were asking but the problem only occurs with shortcuts. If there is a subfolder with m3u files, it works fine. Before submitting a bug, I wanted to see if this was a bug or maybe something I could fix myself.

I did some more checking however and realized that what I have been doing all these years with 6.5 is the other way around. In the server settings, I pointed the "Playlists" folder to my entire music library (which includes mp3, m3u, etc. and many many subfolders), then I would point the "Music" folder to a folder full of shortcut folders (like the screenshot) where only my Playlists reside.

I don't remember how I came up with this workaround and I am probably the only one in the universe who does this (sucks for me). But what this allowed me to do is rely totally on my "Music Folder" to browse 3000 or so playlists (while retaining the folder structure, again like the screenshot). In fact I even removed the other menu items (Artist, Album, Playlists, etc) as I had no use for them. Obviously browsing 3000 playlists in a single playlists folder would not be fun.

In any case, what happens now with LMS 7.7 and 7.8 is that I can still get the folder structure I described above, but when I go to play any of my playlists in the Music Folder I get the infamous "cannot request non-http url file" error. This error has been brought up on the forum several times over the years for different reasons but there never seems to be a resolution. Keep in mind what I'm talking about here is 100% local content, no internet streaming anything.

So... am I totally screwed here? :confused: I'd really like to make this work and not have to go crawling back to 6.5...

Mnyb
2014-01-17, 23:10
Hmm the menu "music folder" don't use the scanned database at all ,it just traverse your setup music folder .

But if you use the playlist menu entry are the playlists scanned and can be used by LMS ?

You seem to have developed a completely unique way to abuse this software :confused:
No,it's not a bug you are not using LMS as you supposed to use it .

reinholdk
2014-01-18, 08:20
I think Mnyb assumes with 'music folder' you are browsing your music by using the 'music folder' item in LMS or the players. But I guess you mean the folders in the LMS settings, right?

But I don't understand why you point your music folder to the playlists and the playlist folder to your music.

Anyway, it seems that LMS doesn't follow Windows shortcuts to folders during the scan.

But you can create symbolic links to files or folders that are handled by the file system and thus are transparent to applications. E.g. open a command line window as admin (type 'cmd' (w/o quotes) in the start menu, right-click 'cmd.exe' and select 'run as administrator') and enter, for example, mklink /d "d:\my playlists\A-L" "d:\my files\my folders for A-L". The first folder path you specify after mklink /d will be created as a symbolic link to the existing folder you've provided as the 2nd path.

EDIT: forgot to mention that there's a nice explorer extension that manages all kind of file and folder links in Windows: Link Shell Extension (http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html)

M7CC
2014-01-20, 19:24
Mnyb,

Yes I can, but I have to pick one folder (without shortcuts). So currently I only have access to one of my playlist folders from the player menu.

I can't recall how I came up with this workaround. It was like 8 years ago. I'm willing to do it however it takes, as long as I can segregate m3u files by folder. For me it's 1000 times easier to maintain consistency and control over the naming of a few thousand playlist files than managing tens of thousands of individual tags -- even with MP3tag.

M7CC
2014-01-20, 19:35
reinholdk,

I'm talking about the player (and server) menu under "Music Library" (which contains folders for Artist, Album, Playlist etc etc, and Music Folder). Until now I was able to user Music Folder but now I get the "cannot request" error I mentioned above. I am only partial to Music Folder because it retains whatever folder structure I want. The Playlist folder only lists the contents of a single folder. Assuming the shortcuts did work -- I would still want to keep them broken out by folder. I guess I'm a weirdo -- but this seems perfectly logical to me (maybe not the means, but the end does anyway). :o

In any case I was not aware of this symbolic link thing and will give it a try and report back. Fingers crossed... If anyone else is able to pull off what I'm trying to do please chime in.

Thanks all...

Mnyb
2014-01-20, 19:46
reinholdk,

I'm talking about the player (and server) menu under "Music Library" (which contains folders for Artist, Album, Playlist etc etc, and Music Folder). Until now I was able to user Music Folder but now I get the "cannot request" error I mentioned above. I am only partial to Music Folder because it retains whatever folder structure I want. The Playlist folder only lists the contents of a single folder. Assuming the shortcuts did work -- I would still want to keep them broken out by folder. I guess I'm a weirdo -- but this seems perfectly logical to me (maybe not the means, but the end does anyway). :o

In any case I was not aware of this symbolic link thing and will give it a try and report back. Fingers crossed... If anyone else is able to pull off what I'm trying to do please chime in.

Thanks all...

Have you actually tried to set up the actual playlist folder as playlist folder NOT as music folder to see if all playlists apear under playlists ? and the music folder as a music folder ?

I would also consider experimenting with scanning only the playlist folder , if we want to tinker with unorthodox ways of using this software .

The files themself ? Are they reasonably tagged ? This is essential for a usable experience with LMS .

M7CC
2014-01-22, 11:26
Yes I currently have LMS set up as intended. As I said the Playlist folder works but I can only choose one folder in the settings -- therefore I can only browse the contents of one folder on my player. The Music Folder breaks everything out by folder (playlists and files) but I cannot select an m3u file without the "Cannot Request..." error. Again all I want is to see playlists (only) broken out by folder, by whatever method (and I still need to look into the symbolic links suggested by reinholdk).

Files are pretty well tagged, I spend a lot of time doing that. But I really only use tags to tell me what is Now Playing, that's about it. I don't use them to browse. And I think it's very difficult to remain consistent when you have a lot of files. For example, in my Artists folder, I may see:

The Beatles
Beatles
Beatles, The

...which can be corrected with MP3tag or something but it takes a lot of time once you hunt down all your Beatles files. Then you remember you did it a different way with The Who...

Whereas in my big "Rock" playlist folder I could have the following which is super easy to make fixes to -- and note some files will appear in multiple playlists, which you can't do with tags alone.

Beatles -- Abby Road.m3u
Beatles -- John songs.m3u
Beatles -- Revolver.m3u
Beatles -- White Album.m3u
Beatles -- various mono mixes.m3u
V/A -- favorite British Invasion.m3u

Anyway I'm probably stating the obvious here. I think the point is it's good to have flexibility. Some prefer playlists and some prefer the various tag attributes. It drives me nuts that I have to do all kinds of acrobatics just to get my media server to list things the way Windows Explorer does (by folder/files).

DJanGo
2014-01-22, 11:51
Anyway I'm probably stating the obvious here. I think the point is it's good to have flexibility. Some prefer playlists and some prefer the various tag attributes. It drives me nuts that I have to do all kinds of acrobatics just to get my media server to list things the way Windows Explorer does (by folder/files).

Hi,
believe me you dont want to know WHAT acrobatics some had to solve cause of these Winblows Shortcuts.
Shortcuts (unless we talking of MAC OS <9) are always acrobatics....

Just open a dosbox / or your favorite Texteditor drop any .lnk file into the texteditor or type

type "drive:\path\yoursample.lnk
And after that you know everything (lnk files are real stupid) or did you find out, whats the destination path of that sample lnk :D:mad::D

Mnyb
2014-01-22, 12:00
Yes I currently have LMS set up as intended. As I said the Playlist folder works but I can only choose one folder in the settings -- therefore I can only browse the contents of one folder on my player. The Music Folder breaks everything out by folder (playlists and files) but I cannot select an m3u file without the "Cannot Request..." error. Again all I want is to see playlists (only) broken out by folder, by whatever method (and I still need to look into the symbolic links suggested by reinholdk).

Files are pretty well tagged, I spend a lot of time doing that. But I really only use tags to tell me what is Now Playing, that's about it. I don't use them to browse. And I think it's very difficult to remain consistent when you have a lot of files. For example, in my Artists folder, I may see:

The Beatles
Beatles
Beatles, The

...which can be corrected with MP3tag or something but it takes a lot of time once you hunt down all your Beatles files. Then you remember you did it a different way with The Who...

Whereas in my big "Rock" playlist folder I could have the following which is super easy to make fixes to -- and note some files will appear in multiple playlists, which you can't do with tags alone.

Beatles -- Abby Road.m3u
Beatles -- Revolver.m3u

Find the Beatles files ? :confused: one folder per album is the natural method if that is not case just load up the whole collection at once in mp3tag and sort ( backup the thing first )

aubuti
2014-01-22, 14:10

The Beatles
Beatles
Beatles, The

Beatles -- Abby Road.m3u
Beatles -- Revolver.m3u

Hmm, in my experience it's the other way around. That is, it is quite easy to use mp3tag to make your tagging consistent. "Hunting down all your Beatles files" is a snap if you sort on Artist or use the filter window at the bottom. Or you could even right-click your Beatles folder and voilą, open it and only it in mp3tag. Otoh, I find it more of a pain to maintain the correct absolute path and filenames required for playlists. Maybe you never rename folders or files?

Anyway, do try the 'mklink' command that reinholdk recommended for making symbolic links in Windows. It may work better than regular Windows shortcuts.

M7CC
2014-01-26, 13:31
Find the Beatles files ? :confused: one folder per album is the natural method if that is not case just load up the whole collection at once in mp3tag and sort ( backup the thing first )

Yes, it's obviously not an insurmountable problem, just one of many examples why I personally don't like relying on tags for anything but Now Playing info. I really appreciate all the responses, even when they veer towards telling me to change how I've been managing my library for 15 years or so. :rolleyes: I don't think it's asking too much to maintain playlist files by folder (and be able to see them that way in a player). Unfortunately if no one else around here does I probably won't get much help in that department.

The good news is that reinholdk's suggestion did work. I was able to place all my folders as junctions within a single folder, then get LMS to see them all as one long list. All the playlists play on the Squeezebox2 and iPeng. Which gets me part way there. So thanks for that!! What is strange though is that the server log threw an error for every single MP3 file (over 30,000 errors). I guess it has to do with the links being on a different drive.

[14-01-23 12:37:38.2751] Slim::Formats::Playlists::Base::playlistEntryIsVal id
(120) Warning: file:///K:/zfiles/0007/Mollusk/06%20-%20The%20Blarney%20Stone.mp3 found in playlist:
file:///K:/zM3U/ALL%20U-Z/Ween%20--%20The%20Mollusk.m3u doesn't exist on disk - skipping!

Links are on K but files are on M. BTW all my playlists use relative, not absolute references --

#EXTINF:194,Ween - The Blarney Stone\zfiles\0007\Mollusk\06 - The Blarney Stone.mp3

I suppose it's not a big deal, hopefully this thread will help others some day.