PDA

View Full Version : Comparing SheevaPlug to a Raspberry Pi for LMS

MrRalph
2014-01-15, 01:44
For over 2 years I'm using a SheevaPlug for my LMS. I also have a more powerfull server, but for day-to-day music listening, the SheevaPlug with 7.8 nightly is ok. However, I want to upgrade the hardware because I'm experiencing too much delay with certain operations. For example, when playing, using IPeng with search is on the limit of its capabilities. SOX doesn't work, and that's a pitty because I also use the SB3 and Radio. My main server draws 50W and ideally I'm looking for a small replacement for the SheevaPlug, that is capable to do SOX and faster search and is power friendly (20W max?).

Is the Raspberry Pi a good step up, or is it more or less comparible to the SheevaPlug? Any other suggestions are also much apprecicated.

Thanks, Ralph

fragfutter
2014-01-15, 12:30
No big step. Transcoding might work better (floating point). The internal nand on the sheeva is faster then a sd card. The processors speed is about the same (dont compare clock speed, different architectures)

steffen
2014-01-15, 13:50
Would a wandboard (quad) be a more noticable and bigger step?

fragfutter
2014-01-15, 14:12
I don't have a wandboard. If i remember correctly its a cortex a9 at something like one gigahertz and lots of memory. That should be significantly faster. I don't know if logitech mediaserver can benefit from multicore but even without.

Alternative is a haswell based intel next unit of computing. with internal ssd and an external usb3 if you need lots of storage. Should sit idle at below 10watts. But has a fan and is more expensive. Most people are more comfortable with something they can attach a normal monitor and run some operating system they know. Or look for the previous generation they are in the sam price area as the wandboard.

MrRalph
2014-01-16, 01:02
The Haswell NCU line looks interesting. I've looked at the Core i3-4010U 1.7 GHz version. For reference purposes, my 'big' server has an AMD Athlon X2 4050e (http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K8/AMD-Athlon%20X2%204050e%20-%20ADH4050IAA5DO%20(ADH4050DOBOX).html)processor. How would a i3 Haswell compare to that, for LMS/sox purposes?

steffen
2014-01-16, 02:41
Apart from the Hardware...
What kind of SOX is not working on your Sheeva...?
I can transcode Apple Lossless to Flac to listen it on my SB3 without any problems for example...

MrRalph
2014-01-16, 03:41
Apart from the Hardware...
What kind of SOX is not working on your Sheeva...?
I can transcode Apple Lossless to Flac to listen it on my SB3 without any problems for example...

I'm talking about SOX for on the fly transcoding of > 16/48 files for the SB3. CPU util goes to 90-100 pct and playback is stopping/buffering after couple of seconds. Let alone the inability of browsing the library from the IPad (IPeng) at the same time. I have a lot of hirez albums.

signor_rossi
2014-01-16, 07:11
An i3 NUC may already be overkill if you just want to replace your Sheevaplug, the new Intel Celeron N2820 NUC costs only half (has only one memory slot, only one USB-3.0, no DP but includes Wireless N) and has a TDP of 7,5W. Add 2Gigs of RAM and a 1 TByte 2,5" hard disk and you have a complete low-power server for around 200/$.

steffen
2014-01-17, 10:13
As alternative to the Wandboard, maybe have a look at the odroid X3 from Hardkernel.
Quite cheap and more CPU Power.
Negatives:
- Just 100Mbit LAN interface
- only USB 2.0

but i think while scanning you're library you won't get a higher speed than the 100mbit can afford.