PDA

View Full Version : Violin and cello music suggestions?

Kellen
2014-01-12, 10:14
I have strong interests in gaining some music of violin and cello works. Only want quiet, mellow and peaceful (not aggressive and attacking) styled musics. merci.

RonM
2014-01-12, 16:48
I have strong interests in gaining some music of violin and cello works. Only want quiet, mellow and peaceful (not aggressive and attacking) styled musics. merci.

It is hard to know just what you want. The cello is a versatile instrument, as is the violin. Are you interested in solo pieces featuring the instruments, or in violin and cello duets? Or in works featuring these instruments? For solo cello, it's hard to go wrong with Bach's Six Suites For Unaccompanied Cello. Yo-Yo May won a Grammy for these, and that album is worth getting.

Most violin/cello compositions are in the context of orchestras. Perhaps you could give a bit more info on what is of interest.

Ron

dasmueller
2014-01-12, 18:19
Karen Kang has done some wonderful work in this area w classical music.

Ikabob
2014-01-12, 20:54

Tschaikovski's Violin concerto
Also, Sibelius' Violin concerto

2nd movements are very peaceful, but I'd recommend both concertos in their entirety.

JerryS
2014-01-13, 07:20

I second the suggestion of Bach's unaccompanied Cello suites with Yo-Yo Ma performing. Massenet's Meditation from Thais for violin, short but sweet, Anne Sophie Mutter is a good bet. Brahms double concerto for violin and cello gives wonderful interaction between the instruments in the slow movement, Roistropovich, Haitink and Perlman are a good choice. Bach's sonata and partitas for solo violin are wonderful although not all quiet and relaxed. Perlman is a good choice here. If you are willing to allow the piano into the mix then the Beethoven trios are good, try the Archduke for starters, Stern Rose and Istonin.

Regards

Jerry

matka
2014-01-13, 07:57
Violin(s) and cello sounds beautifully meshed in quartet music. There are 2 violins, 1 viola and 1 cello. If you are looking for mellow sound you probably have to park Beethoven or my favorite Shostakovich for now, but you can explore Haydn, Mozart or Dvorak, perhaps Debussy. From the sound perspective, I'm very particular to Tokyo String Quartet. I've heard them numerous times here in Toronto and they draw a gorgeous sound from the Stradivarius instruments. If you can recreate this sound when playing their recordings is another question altogether.

Overall, I found cello the most beautifully sounding string instrument, other posters have directed you to J.S.Bach Cello suites, don't miss them. Among others, I like performances by Jean-Guihen Queyras on Harmonia Mundi, great sound.

Kellen
2014-01-13, 09:55
All of my thanks for the offers.

Solo or duet or with another instrument I would like. Just want it to be relaxing and not aggressive. merci.

SlimChances
2014-01-13, 18:42
You might enjoy tne Celloist
Sonia Wieder-Atherton

Shozzer
2014-01-14, 14:38
I suggest you try Calm Radio - they have a number of classical channels including for violin and Cello. You can listen and see if anything takes your fancy. Search for it in Internet Radio.

Ikabob
2014-01-16, 08:24
I suggest you try Calm Radio - they have a number of classical channels including for violin and Cello. You can listen and see if anything takes your fancy. Search for it in Internet Radio.

The Calm Radio channels look very nice. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I never knew it existed. I don't think I need another service but I'm very tempted. It would be a nice premium App for SB support. I might subscribe to it if it were a supported App. That would make it much more convenient. Thanks again Scozzer.

RonM
2014-01-16, 19:10
One of my favorite classical recordings of recent years is "Mozart" by Scott and Lara St. John, supported by the orchestral group called The Knights. The brother and sister dynamic is apparent. Both are excellent musicians (Lara on violin, Scott on violin/viola) with well-established separate careers, but on this fine recording they outdo themselves. It's Mozart, so it's not all bliss and light, but there is nothing jarring about this. A really fine recording, highly recommended and very beautiful. See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XL6EE4/ref=dm_ws_ps_cdp?ie=UTF8&qid=1389924169&s=music&sr=1-1-catcorr. Also available on iTunes.

Lara is a babe, and is sometimes marketed that way, but don't let that distract you from her (and their) musical excellence.

R.

RonM
2014-01-16, 19:23
On a completely different note, it's important to be clear that the violin is NOT the preserve of classical music. There is a wealth of beautiful music outside of the classical genre that features this versatile instrument.

I have many favorites, but consider the late Oliver Schroer. He was a wonderful musician. His take on the violin was much more celtic than classical. For instance, his duet album with Irish flautist Nuala Kennedy (also an excellent singer but not on this recording) is wonderful (http://www.amazon.com/Enthralled-Oliver-Schroer-Nuala-Kennedy/dp/B004REP2S0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389925232&sr=1-1&keywords=oliver+schroer+nuala). He's perhaps better known for solo/ensemble works like Hymns and Hers, which is also outstanding and blissful (http://www.amazon.com/Hymns-Hers-Oliver-Schroer/dp/B002QK00YI/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389925367&sr=1-3&keywords=oliver+schroer).

Dogberry2
2014-01-27, 13:59
Bach's six Sonatas & Partitas for solo violin. I'm very fond of the Itzhak Perlman recordings.

Julf
2014-01-28, 04:58
On a completely different note, it's important to be clear that the violin is NOT the preserve of classical music.

The same is true of the cello: Apocalyptica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalyptica) :)

matka
2014-01-28, 08:13
On a completely different note, it's important to be clear that the violin is NOT the preserve of classical music. There is a wealth of beautiful music outside of the classical genre that features this versatile instrument.

True, there are music genres where violin (celtic, kletzmer, new age perhaps) and cello are used, but if you look at the music scene from the broader perspective, these are the exceptions and a narrow niche. And I think this is not only true for violin and cello. Pop, rock, jazz, folk, country have a core of instruments from which they rarely reach out to to other instruments. There always be the likes of Jean Luc Ponty or Eric Dolphy (the meanest flute ever), but these artist are the exception. The narrow instrument pool is one of the characteristics that I miss when listening to jazz or a decent rock.

The above fails apart if you consider classical western music a niche, which actually might be true.

Recoveryone
2014-01-28, 08:44
Eliesha Nelson, Qunicy Porter CD and Her Russian Sonatas CD

I am not a big classical listerner myself, but she is family and plays for the Cleveland Orchestra along with being a Grammy nominee for her work on the Qunicy Porter Album.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=eliesha%20Nelson

RonM
2014-01-29, 14:49
True, there are music genres where violin (celtic, kletzmer, new age perhaps) and cello are used, but if you look at the music scene from the broader perspective, these are the exceptions and a narrow niche. And I think this is not only true for violin and cello. Pop, rock, jazz, folk, country have a core of instruments from which they rarely reach out to to other instruments. There always be the likes of Jean Luc Ponty or Eric Dolphy (the meanest flute ever), but these artist are the exception. The narrow instrument pool is one of the characteristics that I miss when listening to jazz or a decent rock.

The above fails apart if you consider classical western music a niche, which actually might be true.

If you consider only mainstream pop music, perhaps true - but perhaps less so these days.

In jazz, Jean-Luc Ponty was an early modern example of excellence, and is still performing. Of course, the jazz violin template was set by Stéphane Grappelli back in the mid-20th C. More recently, there are a number of really interesting jazz violinists. I'm especially partial to Jenny Scheinman, whose pure modern jazz, sometimes with elements of klezmer, is just great. Consider Shalagaster (klezmerish) and her most recent, Mischief and Mayhem (modern edgy jazz, not at all restful). She often plays with Bill Frisell, and is featured on his recent All We Are Saying, outstanding recording, covers of John Lennon.

One of my favorite violin features of the last year or two is on Mary Gauthier's Live at Blue Rock. This is classified as "country", but is really a kind of singer-songwriter-folk music. Mary is an excellent song-writer and singer, and this is a masterful performance. But for me the really wonderful part is her accompanist. On her recent tours she played with a single accompanist, Tania Elizabeth on violin. On this recording she's also joined by a percussionist, but Tania is front and center. She comes from a folk and traditional background (was the violinist in the Grammy-nominated Duhks, a folk group). Here she wields the violin like she's the lead guitarist in a rock group, perfectly highlighting Gauthier's melancholy and bitter-sweet songs. She often gets mid-song major applause for her breaks.

This music is not, however, what the OP is looking for. But well worth checking out. There is lots more.

R.

RonM
2014-01-29, 14:52
Eliesha Nelson, Qunicy Porter CD and Her Russian Sonatas CD

I am not a big classical listerner myself, but she is family and plays for the Cleveland Orchestra along with being a Grammy nominee for her work on the Qunicy Porter Album.

Family?

Recoveryone
2014-01-29, 16:02
Family?

Yes, my youngest cousin

Recoveryone
2014-01-29, 16:08
I remember hearing Jean Luc back in the 70's :)

RonM
2014-01-29, 19:59
I remember hearing Jean Luc back in the 70's :)

I saw him at Convocation Hall at the U of Toronto back then. During a break I went to the washroom, and who should walk in and up to the adjacent facility, carrying his bright yellow solid-body electric violin? We exchanged polite pleasantries while going about our business.

R.