PDA

View Full Version : song skip, skipping on media server + squeezebox

ezekieldas
2013-12-31, 14:27
Hi There. Happy New Year.

I have 2x squeezeboxes + LMS on Linux. I've also got squeezelite on a vm but I'm pretty sure that's irrelevant.

I'm getting song skipping. That is, the skip happens within a track and it's pretty subtle (milliseconds, quarters of a second) --but oh yeah I can definitely hear it. File format doesn't seem to be the culprit, though I'm seeing it right now on mp3 I have tons of FLAC, wav, and others. My signal strength is strong. The server has plenty of CPU and RAM... what am I missing? Oh yeah, I did _not_ notice this when on an earlier version of LMS + Linux (so heck could be in LMS, a codec, something in ALSA). One thing which has remained consistent is the squeezeboxes --same version since I acquired them a couple of years ago (when this whole project began).

I would bump buffering somewheres but I don't see where I'd do that. I've done lotsa tuning in the past to get these squeezeboxes synched but can't find where I might increase buffering.

Tech Details

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.3 - 1375965195
Player Model: Squeezebox Radio
Firmware: 7.7.2-r9663
Signal Strength of Players is always >90%

And if you want to see my entire setup: http://www.gliffy.com/pubdoc/4562722/L.png

garym
2013-12-31, 18:26
Are you synching two or more players. On one winXP laptop I used to run LMS on, it somehow couldn't work well with synching and it frequently was trying to adjust to get the players in sync (which sounded like the song skipping just a few miliseconds). When I looked at the sync log (with debug turned on) I could see this happening. Hasn't happened in my win7 or Vortexbox installs of LMS so I never bothered trying to debug further.

Bottom line, if synching two players, try without sync to see if that is the culprit.

ezekieldas
2014-01-02, 12:57
Thanks Gary --Yes I'm synching 2x squeezeboxes + the SqueezeLite player on the VM (no to very little latency here).

I will try playing some music w/o synch. But if this turns out to be the issue I've essentially downgraded my configuration to accomplish what once worked fine. That is, I'd still be looking for a tuning solution for this problem. Any suggestions there?

Are you synching two or more players. On one winXP laptop I used to run LMS on, it somehow couldn't work well with synching and it frequently was trying to adjust to get the players in sync (which sounded like the song skipping just a few miliseconds). When I looked at the sync log (with debug turned on) I could see this happening. Hasn't happened in my win7 or Vortexbox installs of LMS so I never bothered trying to debug further.

Bottom line, if synching two players, try without sync to see if that is the culprit.

garym
2014-01-02, 13:27
Thanks Gary --Yes I'm synching 2x squeezeboxes + the SqueezeLite player on the VM (no to very little latency here).

I will try playing some music w/o synch. But if this turns out to be the issue I've essentially downgraded my configuration to accomplish what once worked fine. That is, I'd still be looking for a tuning solution for this problem. Any suggestions there?

My problem started out of the blue as well. Not synching is just for diagnosis purposes, not a permanent solution. If it turns out that there is not problem without synching, then you can add back players one at a time (synched) to see where the problem might lie. If one of the players is the problem, then there are options to get that player better connected so that you don't have a problem. On the otherhand, if you have same issue with any player, even without synching, then you'll need to look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

Mnyb
2014-01-05, 02:09
If you find out which one of the 3 players is the weak link that make sync fall apart , then you could perhaps use Ethernet to that player ? Instead of wifi .