PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox server on minipc

zelkes
2013-12-29, 09:12
I Am going to buy something that can run squeezebox server and AirPrint.
But what is the best to buy for the money, and not too hard to install.
I Think off something like, raspberry pi, pogoplug or maybe beaglebone or something 4. i haven't heart about.
I can se rikomagic have one Linux version, maybe it can be used?
http://www.rikomagic.co.uk/linux_mini_pcs.html

signor_rossi
2014-01-03, 12:31
Something like this http://geizhals.de/zotac-zbox-id17-zbox-id17-e-a935396.html might fit if you want to have something more 'powerful'. Needs only RAM and probably best a debian-based distro. Depending on the size of your media collection an internal 2.5" harddisk could even suffice as storage quite economically.

zelkes
2014-01-04, 10:15
It looks nice, a little High in power consumption though.
I Think i will stick with the raspberry, anyone have inputs about that, here i Think about performance.

aubuti
2014-01-04, 19:13
It looks nice, a little High in power consumption though.
I didn't see the power consumption specs anywhere -- what are they? Don't forget that you can use software tools to put the computer to sleep after X minutes of inactivity from any of the SBs, and wake it up via WOL (I'm assuming it has WOL capability here). Or that the external drive on the RPi has its own power requirements.

castalla
2014-01-04, 19:32
The Raspi is perfectly adequate as a squeezebox server (in my experience).

It is relatively easy to set up using Squeezeplug software. It has low power consumption, but the trickiest part is probably related to how and where you are going to store your music files (NAS, usb drive or stick, etc). Also, you'll need to add a case and micro usb power supply to the board cost.

signor_rossi
2014-01-11, 04:50
A new Celeron NUC with only 7,5W TDP and Wireless N included has been released too in the last days at around 120 which should serve as a good low-power x86 basis for LMS too.

satmarshall
2014-02-08, 13:20
It's not quite a minipc but thought I'd mention that I just dumped my desktop pc running the server software for a WD My Book Live NAS running the server software and it runs very well. I'm very pleased with that solution.