PDA

View Full Version : Squeezeplay won't connect (suddenly)

park
2013-12-26, 21:22
Hello,
I've been using Squeezeplay to play my music at my Windows 7 desktop computer for several years now. Suddenly, Squeezebox is refusing to connect to my music server and I have tried everything I can think of to troubleshoot. The server is running Squeezebox Server 7.6.2 r335593. Squeezeplay is version 7.7.2 r0. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Squeezeplay, turned the Windows firewall off and on, added and deleted the music server library in Squeezeplay and tried the latest Squeezeplay version available 7.8.0 r328 without any success.

When I start Squeezeplay, it tries to connect to my music library but times out. If I open the Squeezebox Server web interface, Squeezeplay appears as a player and I can play music through it, but I cannot control the volume and the display on Squeezplay does not show that it is playing. The funny thing is, if I boot my desktop into Ubuntu and run Squeezeplay under Wine (same version as Windows), it works fine. It connects to the music server immediately and will browse the music library, play music and internet radio and display the currently playing file. If I then log in to the Squeezebox Server web interface, Squeezeplay shows up as a player and I can control the volume. Also, all other players are working normally; 2 Duets and a Boom. So, this must be a Windows issue, but I cannot think of anything else to try in order to troubleshoot this problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

w3wilkes
2013-12-26, 22:55
I had this happen and I could use it as a player from the web UI, but Squeezeplay itself never appeared to be connected so I couldn't use the Squeezeplay UI. I would just tell Squeezeplay to switch libraries, specify the server (Squeezeplay could see my server), it would fail, hit the home key and then I could use it from the LMS webUI. Go figure, never did find a fix!

ralphy
2013-12-27, 04:49
Shut down Squeezeplay and try deleting the userpath folder, mine is located at.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ralphy\Application Data\SqueezePlay\userpath

and start squeezeplay again.

park
2013-12-27, 10:01
Shut down Squeezeplay and try deleting the userpath folder, mine is located at.

C:\Documents and Settings\Ralphy\Application Data\SqueezePlay\userpath

and start squeezeplay again.

Thanks for the reply. Tried it, but it didn't make any difference. Also tried deleting the \userpath folder, uninstalling Squeezeplay and reinstalling the latest version I could find (7.8.0). No luck. It "sees" the server since the correct library name shows up in the connect options. But it just times out. I also tried turning off the Windows firewall on both the server (XP) and my desktop (7). Frustrating since this was "every day" software. I just can't imagine what happened, unless a Windows update somehow broke Squeezeplay. Does Squeezeplay write any logs that might hold a clue?

ralphy
2013-12-28, 05:06
Does Squeezeplay write any logs that might hold a clue?

There are stdout.txt and stderr.txt in %TEMP%. They might have squeezeplay prefixed to the name.

I don't have a windows system handy to check.

I've also seen this type of hang when squeezeplay can't open the sound card.

reinholdk
2013-12-28, 10:45
There are stdout.txt and stderr.txt in %TEMP%. They might have squeezeplay prefixed to the name.

I don't have a windows system handy to check.

It's stderr-SqueezePlay.txt and stdout-SqueezePlay.txt.

park
2013-12-29, 12:48
It's stderr-SqueezePlay.txt and stdout-SqueezePlay.txt.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the last time it did a reinstall of Squeezeplay, I searched my harddrive and deleted anything containing "SqueezePlay" in the name, including those files. Apparently, they are not created at install, because they are not on my computer presently. I looked at the stout file before deleting and it had several entries referencing "network timeout". But, I don't remember exactly.

I'm intrigued by the mention of the soundcard. I recently switched from the internal soundcard to a USB external because of a bad connection on the jack. But, I'm pretty certain that I used Squeezeplay after the switch and it worked OK. How would I explore this? All other sound functions work fine.

Samme
2014-01-16, 06:58
Just curious, did you find any solution to this?

Ran in to the same thing today, reinstalled my computer with Windows 7 and latest Squeezeplay.

And now...well, it plays, but has "Problem connecting"...have tried all versions of Squeezeplay I could find (which is, seriously, not that easy), but to no luck.

I hope someone has a solution to this, quite frustrating.

jimbobvfr400
2014-01-16, 09:01
Do you have Avast installed at all? There appears to be an issue with Avast and SP at the moment. There's a thread and solution on a recent thread if you have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Samme
2014-01-16, 09:37
Do you have Avast installed at all? There appears to be an issue with Avast and SP at the moment. There's a thread and solution on a recent thread if you have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

No, I don't have Avast installed, I have Bitdefender if that matters.

garym
2014-01-16, 09:47
No, I don't have Avast installed, I have Bitdefender if that matters.

could also be a problem. Try turning off bitdefender temporarily to see if that is the source of problem.

Samme
2014-01-16, 14:19
Seems to be same problem as with Avast, tried turning it off, exit the application, without luck! But when uninstalled it works again.

Damn antivirus, causes more trouble than it solves!

Ohh well, hopefully, if someone searches for the same issue they find this or the Avast-threads.

garym
2014-01-16, 14:26
Seems to be same problem as with Avast, tried turning it off, exit the application, without luck! But when uninstalled it works again.

Damn antivirus, causes more trouble than it solves!

Ohh well, hopefully, if someone searches for the same issue they find this or the Avast-threads.

Yep, a lot of virus programs still cause problems even when turned "off". They have to actually be uninstalled to get around for testing purposes. FYI, microsoft securities essentials works perfectly with logitech LMS, etc.

Samme
2014-01-16, 14:46
Actually I manage, as far as I know, quite well without antivirus, but thanks for the tip, and help :)