PDA

View Full Version : Stream audio from external source, e.g. my TV

Commodore.White
2013-12-20, 01:36
Squeezebox touch and Picoreplayer allow me to place speakers where hitherto it has been impossible in my house without long trailing wires so Internet radio and my ripped cd collection are now accessible. I'm just left with getting surround sound from my TV to the rear speakers. Can I stream an external analogue signal source eg. plug the audio out from my TV or STB into an LMS device and stream that audio too.?

Mnyb
2013-12-20, 02:11
No .

All things stream from the server (or mysqueezebox.com )

Theoretically if you get it to the server it can do it via a plugin , but the players are buffered so the laag is always to great for video .

The controll responses for a squeezebox are instant , but the audio buffer is >30 seconds and in the players .

The squeezeboxes does not have inputs for audio to the server .

The Radio and Boom can be abused as a speaker :) with 3,5mm inputs that's bypassing the whole "squeezeboxines" off it all and doess not comute with the rest of the system .

DJanGo
2013-12-20, 03:54
Hi,

Just use some (not the cheapest) bluetooth audio converter.

Commodore.White
2013-12-20, 14:00
Mnyb: thanks for your excellent explanation of the problem I face. I guess a sonos solution wouldn't fare any better which is what the wife was pushing me towards.

DJanGo: I figured a wireless solution might be the answer but bluetooth didn't occur to me. Can you recommend a product or at least some minimum spec so have an idea how much money to spend. I guess a single set of amplified speakers would satisfy both roles (or if I wanted to sound intelligent I'd say "use cases").

Thanks to you both. Peter

garym
2013-12-20, 15:20
Mnyb: thanks for your excellent explanation of the problem I face. I guess a sonos solution wouldn't fare any better which is what the wife was pushing me towards.

DJanGo: I figured a wireless solution might be the answer but bluetooth didn't occur to me. Can you recommend a product or at least some minimum spec so have an idea how much money to spend. I guess a single set of amplified speakers would satisfy both roles (or if I wanted to sound intelligent I'd say "use cases").

Thanks to you both. Peter

Sonos would have same problem.

bonze
2013-12-20, 16:33
Sonos would have same problem.Maybe meant the Sonos Soundbar, but seems very expensive.....

scrarfussi
2013-12-21, 06:01
sonos does not have the same problem

philippe_44
2013-12-30, 22:22
sonos does not have the same problem

I can confirm that. I've been a heavy user of Squeezebox system for many years and I have, between houses, more than 10 different devices (Touch, Radios, Boom, Receiver ... all of them). Unfortunately, because they are EoL, I'll have to move to a new system and I choose Sonos, but I want to have a graceful transition. The good thing is that I have an excellent interworking by connecting the line-out of a Touch to a Play:5 (would work with a :Connect as well) that then replicates my Squeeze streams across the Sonos network. With a delay of 100ms on the Touch "Gateway", I have a perfect sync between the whole Squeeze network and the whole Sonos network

So, to cut the long story short, you can connect the line-out to your TV to a Sonos line-in and play it to any other Sonos device

Philippe

garym
2013-12-31, 05:32
I can confirm that. I've been a heavy user of Squeezebox system for many years and I have, between houses, more than 10 different devices (Touch, Radios, Boom, Receiver ... all of them). Unfortunately, because they are EoL, I'll have to move to a new system and I choose Sonos, but I want to have a graceful transition. The good thing is that I have an excellent interworking by connecting the line-out of a Touch to a Play:5 (would work with a :Connect as well) that then replicates my Squeeze streams across the Sonos network. With a delay of 100ms on the Touch "Gateway", I have a perfect sync between the whole Squeeze network and the whole Sonos network

So, to cut the long story short, you can connect the line-out to your TV to a Sonos line-in and play it to any other Sonos device

Philippe

the problem I was talking about was not the ability to connect the line in and play or to synch across players, but more specifically the ability to play the audio with a timing that matches up perfectly with the video on the TV screen. The latter has always been the issue with playing video with sound on a network music player like squeezebox or sonos.

philippe_44
2013-12-31, 16:52
the problem I was talking about was not the ability to connect the line in and play or to synch across players, but more specifically the ability to play the audio with a timing that matches up perfectly with the video on the TV screen. The latter has always been the issue with playing video with sound on a network music player like squeezebox or sonos.

I thougth you were referring to the line-in issue that was a problem with Squeezebox product line, unless you want to use a PC - For the no delay, 100% right, but I can't see how there could be a perfect solution as the streaming process by nature takes a minimum amount of buffering + processing + transmitting time and human hearing is very sensitive to even small delays. So unless your TV allows to add a delay between its line-out and speaker or it can de-correlate line-out/speakers (i.e output audio on a line-out but play what comes from a line-in), the only solution is to mute the built-in speakers (I had to do that on my own system regardless of Sonos, but due to an AV system that introduces a bit of delay), no ?

garym
2013-12-31, 17:06
I thougth you were referring to the line-in issue that was a problem with Squeezebox product line, unless you want to use a PC - For the no delay, 100% right, but I can't see how there could be a perfect solution as the streaming process by nature takes a minimum amount of buffering + processing + transmitting time and human hearing is very sensitive to even small delays. So unless your TV allows to add a delay between its line-out and speaker or it can de-correlate line-out/speakers (i.e output audio on a line-out but play what comes from a line-in), the only solution is to mute the built-in speakers (I had to do that on my own system regardless of Sonos, but due to an AV system that introduces a bit of delay), no ?

good points. I agree. And it may turn out that even muting the built in speakers may not work as the audio in a streaming context may be too far off from the video (i.e., the dialog wouldn't match up with the mouth movements of the actors).