PDA

View Full Version : SB3 and Boom not seeing LMS - but some other players are.

donmacn
2013-12-19, 15:24
Hi there,
I'm sure the answer to this must be in the forum somewhere, and I have done a search and read a good few posts, but can't find anything that addresses my specific - that some players see LMS; and some don't.

I've introduced a new router tonight (Netgear DGND3700). So far, for a not-so-techy, things are going pretty well; it's connected; my internet works; mobile devices pick it up. But I have some puzzling issues with LMS (where have I heard that before!!)

My Touch (ethernet - powerline) works fine. The Controller (wifi) works fine. An SB1 (ethernet - powerline) works fine. But, a Boom and SB3 (both wifi) aren't getting through to the server - local version of LMS - version 7.7.3

They connect to the network quickly and with no trouble, they get an IP address (DHCP), but they don't find the server. I've entered the IP address manually (192.168.0.2) but they just don't seem to get through..? They do connect to 'mySB.com OK though, and actually play music quite happily, they're just not getting through to LMS. I'd have thought it might be some sort of firewall thing, but if the Controller gets through OK, how would that be? A different generation of technology from the SB3 and Boom??

At the (very deliberate!) risk of repeating myself, I do appreciate the assistance.

Next thing tonight to to try and see if I can get into the new vortexbox...!

Cheers

Donald

kidstypike
2013-12-19, 16:37
Hi there,
I'm sure the answer to this must be in the forum somewhere, and I have done a search and read a good few posts, but can't find anything that addresses my specific - that some players see LMS; and some don't.

I've introduced a new router tonight (Netgear DGND3700). So far, for a not-so-techy, things are going pretty well; it's connected; my internet works; mobile devices pick it up. But I have some puzzling issues with LMS (where have I heard that before!!)

My Touch (ethernet - powerline) works fine. The Controller (wifi) works fine. An SB1 (ethernet - powerline) works fine. But, a Boom and SB3 (both wifi) aren't getting through to the server - local version of LMS - version 7.7.3

They connect to the network quickly and with no trouble, they get an IP address (DHCP), but they don't find the server. I've entered the IP address manually (192.168.0.2) but they just don't seem to get through..? They do connect to 'mySB.com OK though, and actually play music quite happily, they're just not getting through to LMS. I'd have thought it might be some sort of firewall thing, but if the Controller gets through OK, how would that be? A different generation of technology from the SB3 and Boom??

At the (very deliberate!) risk of repeating myself, I do appreciate the assistance.

Next thing tonight to to try and see if I can get into the new vortexbox...!

Cheers

Donald

Press and hold the left button on the IR remote and scroll till you see "connect to <your server name>" then right arrow.

w3wilkes
2013-12-19, 16:55
Is it a DGND3700v1 or a DGND3700v2? If it's a v2 there is a known issue with some of them. Don't know if it's been fixed with a newer version of firmware yet. I have 3 v1's and they all work just great (I use a 3rd party firmware that I highly recommend as it's better than Netgears firmware, hands down. But it's only available for the v1). Here's a link to a thread on the Netgear forum you may be interested in before you waste too much time.
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77750
What about other wireless devices, can they see your wired devices? Your problem sounds like the issue in the Netgear thread where wireless devices (Boom and SB3) cannot see wired devices (LMS server) on the same network even though you don't have wireless isolation on or anything else preventing your wireless devices from seeing your wired devices.

donmacn
2013-12-20, 01:41
Thanks for your replies.

Press and hold the left button on the IR remote and scroll till you see "connect to <your server name>" then right arrow.
Eh? When I saw this last night I thought “that doesn’t seem to make much sense – but maybe I’m missing something”. So I tried it this morning, and I’m afraid it still doesn’t make much sense. If I hold the left arrow down, it takes me backwards through the login procedure, then to the point where the display just ‘bounces’ as there’s nowhere else to go.
If you meant ‘right arrow’ – then yes – as I posted above that’s just what I did. Normal connect procedure till I get to the <connect to server> option, at which point it doesn’t connect even with the right IP address manually entered.
If it’s relevant, it won’t offer the system/server IP address automatically, as it used to.

Is it a DGND3700v1 or a DGND3700v2? If it's a v2 there is a known issue with some of them. Don't know if it's been fixed with a newer version of firmware yet. I have 3 v1's and they all work just great (I use a 3rd party firmware that I highly recommend as it's better than Netgears firmware, hands down. But it's only available for the v1). Here's a link to a thread on the Netgear forum you may be interested in before you waste too much time.
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=77750
What about other wireless devices, can they see your wired devices? Your problem sounds like the issue in the Netgear thread where wireless devices (Boom and SB3) cannot see wired devices (LMS server) on the same network even though you don't have wireless isolation on or anything else preventing your wireless devices from seeing your wired devices.

Hi wilkes, I see you’ve posted on that netgear thread. It’s a V2 I’m afraid, and the thread itself doesn’t hold out much hope for a resolution if that’s the issue. It seems to have an older version of the firmware: V1.1.00.12_1.00.12 but from what I read, the newer version isn’t much better.

However, I’m not sure it’s exactly as in the router thread? As I said above, when I last checked, the controller was working OK –checked by enabling the playback beta and plugging in some headphones – no problems. So, presumably that wireless client is seeing the wired LMS?
You ask: “What about other wireless devices, can they see your wired devices?” Sorry for being ‘thick’ but how would I check this? One pointer might be that my ipad, with Squeezepad doesn’t connect to the server either?

So it seems like a mixed picture – controller (wifi) is seeing wired devices; ipad, boom and SB3 aren’t?

All that said, if there’s a known issue with the router, and it’s less than 24 hours old, I might just stick it in the box and take it straight back to the shop.
Thanks

D

kidstypike
2013-12-20, 01:54
Thanks for your replies.

Eh? When I saw this last night I thought “that doesn’t seem to make much sense – but maybe I’m missing something”. So I tried it this morning, and I’m afraid it still doesn’t make much sense. If I hold the left arrow down, it takes me backwards through the login procedure, then to the point where the display just ‘bounces’ as there’s nowhere else to go.

When you press and hold the left arrow button and you get to the point where it bounces, if you scroll up or down, do you not see "Connect to <your LMS server name>" and "Connect to MySqueezebox.com"?

All that said, if there’s a known issue with the router, and it’s less than 24 hours old, You might as well just stick it in the box and take it straight back to the shop :)

donmacn
2013-12-20, 05:51
When you press and hold the left arrow button and you get to the point where it bounces, if you scroll up or down, do you not see "Connect to <your LMS server name>" and "Connect to MySqueezebox.com"?

Hi, thanks again. That's a set of menu options I didn't know was there. I'll try that when I get home, just before I repackage the router and head back to the shop!

Cheers

D

donmacn
2013-12-20, 12:30
hi there,

Maybe there's two things going on here:
1) having had a look at that thread on the netgear forums I'm not delighted I've bought a router that seems to have so many issues. However there's now updated firmware that I've installed, so I'll not stick it back to the shop just yet. And, more importantly all on their own, an SB3 and the iPad/squeezepad have now connected to the LMS. This was before the firmware upgrade, and they've survived connected through it.

2) Relating to kidstypike's advice - while I was going through the router's firmware upgrade, I did try the 'go left/scroll down'>'connect to LMS' thing on a Boom.... and it worked... but only for a few seconds until the router restarted, now it's gone again. I think 'gutted' comes close - to have seen it working and then to lose it so quickly. Why though would 'connect to LMS' be different from this point in the command menu, in comparison to being the last step in the connect/IP/connect to server method?? I've tried powercycling and setting it up again, but no change, still not getting through.

Just now I tried a factory reset of the Boom. All fine, connects to the network, but can't see a running LMS. I enter the IP address manually, and it still can't connect. I have also stopped and restarted LMS as part of my attempts to find a solution.

Given that three players and the softsqueeze are now working, I can't see that it's an LMS issue - unless there's some sort of cache that needs to be cleared?? (That sound you hear is straws being grasped.) Something more basic happening with the Boom itself?

As always, advice very gratefully received.

Ta

D

donmacn
2013-12-20, 13:41
Rather than add this to the post above, I thought I might follow here to preserve any kind of 'timeline'..

Anyway, I have a further SB3 (powerline ethernet) and Boom (wifi) downstairs. I hadn't done anything with them since the new router install last night. The logic being to start with one or two players upstairs and build the system from there. However, I thought I'd give them a go to see how I'd get on.

Both connected without any real problems. The only difference being that in the ethernet SB3, the source name and IP address populated itself during setup; with the Boom, as with its mate upstairs, it wasn't finding a music source, and the IP address had to be added manually. Having done that though, it connected just fine. Played music happily via LMS.

I now have 5 players connected and showing up on the Squeezepad (though the Touch seemed to take a wee 'wobble' to itself there, it did connect OK). Just this one Boom doesn't seem to want to play. As I've said, it'll go to mySB.com with no problems, just won't see the local LMS like all the others.....

FWIW I did add the vortexbox last night, but it's 'empty' at the moment, and I've gone in to make sure its version of LMS isn't running.

Prior to the router switch, all the players used to find 'MacNeill-PB' as the music source really easily - now there seems to be an issue with that not being 'transmitted' somehow, requiring the manual IP address input, and making the Touch a bit wobbly.

Does any of this rambling suggest anything to a more clever person?

Final addition for just now. I went back into the Router's login/admin page, and it's showing a) the problem Boom as an 'unknown' wireless device, and b) the connected Boom as a 'wired' device. Does this take me right back, full circle to the fact that the router itself is 'confused', and only fit for taking back to the shop. c) it's not showing an ethernet connected SB1 at all; d) it's not showing the vortexbox...

TIA

Donald

((( Just spend far too long on the phone with netgear tech support. Despite new firmware, and reboots, and power cycles and all sorts, it still seemed to be flaky and with a mind of its own as to what it allowed to connect and what it didn't. Back to the shop it goes. Hopefully I'll plug something else in and it will all go like clockwork...... )))

Happy holidays!

w3wilkes
2013-12-20, 15:24
I thought I'd read that you did the firmware upgrade on the router? If so did you try a full factory reset on the router and then setting it up again from scratch? There may have been some funky artifacts left from the setup under the original firmware. As I'm sure you've guessed from reading the Netgear forum, these routers seem to be a little unpredictable. Work fine for some folks and give others fits. I just thought I'd let you know that it should at least be looked at as a possible source of the problem.

donmacn
2013-12-20, 15:44
thanks w3w,
I reckon you did save me a lot of time by pointing me at that issue and thread so early. I'd probably have taken a lot longer to get there, or tried to persevere with something that seems just too flaky. We went through so much on that support call that I can't remember, but we certainly did do a 'reset' of the unit. Bit of a shame, because the range seems good, and the speed that my n capable devices are connecting at is noticeably faster. I'll probably go for something else other than netgear though.

thanks for coming back at the end of all my verbal outpourings there!

cheers
D

toby10
2013-12-21, 04:29
...... Why though would 'connect to LMS' be different from this point in the command menu, in comparison to being the last step in the connect/IP/connect to server method?? .....

Dunno, but it does. It seems to really force a better look for LMS servers than can often be found elsewhere in the SB3/Boom menus.

donmacn
2013-12-21, 08:26
thanks again to all who replied and offered help.

Just to wrap it up. I took the 'old' new router back to the shop and, a little against my better judgement, walked out with another (slightly more expensive) netgear model.

Plugged it in, and while I won't say things went completely without a hitch, they went smoothly enough that I haven't had to come running back to the forums for advice!

A little over an hours work, and most of that was to do with running about the house checking IP and MAC addresses so that I could reserve IP addresses for most of the players which don't move.

Apart from being delighted that (so far) it's all working and stable, I'm also encouraged that it wasn't just me doing something daft with the previous router.

Cheers

D

w3wilkes
2013-12-21, 11:17
Glad to hear that your "trials and tribulations" are pretty much done with. A bold move to go with another Netgear! I don't think I would have if I'd had your experience. I think I would have tried one of the high end Asus DSL routers instead.

donmacn
2013-12-21, 18:16
Perhaps! The shop (maplin) had: Belkin; TP Link; or Netgear.... Not that much of a choice to be honest.

If you Google map Inverness, Scotland, you'll see we're a bit off the main drag. Online shopping will give us anything we want, at a time penalty - especially at this time of year. Actual "shopping" is more limited.

Hopefully the new router will be as rock-solid stable and long-lasting as the old DG834.

Thanks again for the "heads up" on the limitations of the last one.

D