PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to MySqueezebox.com

2bingo
2013-12-14, 16:05
Today both of my SB Radios can't log into mysqueezebox.com via wireless, but I can log on directly through a browser.

Error message from both of my SB Radios:
"We couldn't connect to mysqueezebox.com If this problem persists please check Logitech Media Server to make sure it is running properly, and that you have a reliable network connection."

My wifi is working fine, the SB Radio shows that it is connected to wifi. I don't user the Logitech Media Server - For the last 2-3 years I have only used my Squeezebox Radios to listen to Pandora and podcasts...and the only way I know how to do that is through mysqueezebox.com where I have set up Pandora and Podcasts as two "Apps" that I can use from my radio. My SB radio goes onto my home wifi, logs me into mysqueezebox.com and then I can play the Pandora or Podcasts.

So I don't know what to do now! I don't listen to music from my PC or anything, I really just use the SB radio as an appliance to access mysqueezebox.com.

Any advice? Do I need to use Logitech Media Server if I have no interest in playing music from my PC?

pbroughton
2013-12-14, 16:12
Today both of my SB Radios can't log into mysqueezebox.com via wireless, but I can log on directly through a browser.

"We couldn't connect to mysqueezebox.com If this problem persists please check Logitech Media Server to make sure it is running properly, and that you have a reliable network connection."

My wifi is working fine, the SB Radio shows that it is connected to wifi. I don't user the Logitech Media Server - For the last 2-3 years I have only used my Squeezebox Radios to listen to Pandora and podcasts...and the only way I know how to do that is through mysqueezebox.com where I have set up Pandora and Podcasts as two "Apps" that I can use from my radio. My SB radio goes onto my home wifi, logs me into mysqueezebox.com and then I can play the Pandora or Podcasts.

So I don't know what to do now! I don't listen to music from my PC or anything, I really just use the SB radio as an appliance to access mysqueezebox.com.

Any advice? Do I need to use Logitech Media Server if I have no interest in playing music from my PC?

and, my other SB devices are working in S L O W motion, too.

anyone else? Christmas Shopping internet traffic?

cpalm49
2013-12-14, 16:22

I'm having the same problem and getting the exact same error message. Radio was working OK earlier today, then it just stopped and I started getting the error message when I ran Diagnostics. The WiFi connection on the Squeezebox shows it's connected, but unable to connect to mysqueezebox.com.

WiFi is working fine on all my other wireless devices.

boolittlek
2013-12-14, 16:57

I've been getting the same message all day with my Radio. mysqueezebox.com is working on my Squeezebox Classic, but it's very slow. Very frustrating--I wanted to listen to Christmas music upstairs while wrapping presents, and I had to turn on a regular radio.

cpalm49
2013-12-14, 17:46
I found an article that indicates that mysqueezebox.com is being discontinued. Not sure if that is the problem today or not, but the article is at this link
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57519226-221/logitech-leaves-squeezebox-fans-wondering-whats-next/

2bingo
2013-12-14, 18:17
The Squeezebox Team supposedly posts known issues there - noting posted since Nov 19. I'm not much of a Twitter person but maybe some more folks who are experiencing trouble can also chime in to try and raise awareness of the issue.

maihoaomv
2013-12-14, 20:37
was able to ssh into the os and ping google so have internet connectivity. also was able to play tracks from the logitech server and tune into kcea through 'search tunein' (once, can't repeat). so it's not the radio or the connection to the internet. i wonder, has logitech pulled the plug on the squeeze box?

mpower9
2013-12-14, 21:24
mysqueezebox is back! I guess the plug has not yet been pulled. :)

2bingo
2013-12-14, 22:33
If anyone knows another way to make a SB radio connect if mysqueezebox goes down for good please point me to a solution. Thanks

valley_nomad
2013-12-15, 02:23
My radio has had the same issue since yesterday (12/14) morning. The portal based Internet radio is very vulnerable. The radio is totally useless when the portal site is down. Even the alarm clock function can not work....To some extent, it is a disaster waiting to happen....

valley_nomad
2013-12-15, 03:08
Home -> Settings -> Advanced -> Networking -> Remote Libraries -> Add New Libraries -> (add 79.125.18.91) -> Connect This Library

tamanaco
2013-12-15, 04:54
Hmmm, for a second there I thought is was my box... It has been down for a while now.

garym
2013-12-15, 05:00
My radio has had the same issue since yesterday (12/14) morning. The portal based Internet radio is very vulnerable. The radio is totally useless when the portal site is down. Even the alarm clock function can not work....To some extent, it is a disaster waiting to happen....

run LMS on a local PC and connect your players to that instead of mysb.com

pbroughton
2013-12-15, 10:14
Home -> Settings -> Advanced -> Networking -> Remote Libraries -> Add New Libraries -> (add 79.125.18.91) -> Connect This Library

Before I try that for future use, could I ask what that url is??? thanks.................

2bingo
2013-12-15, 10:55

Sorry, I'm not as technically adept as many other users of these devices seem to be! Can you describe what that does in a few more words? - I don't know what a library is in relation to squeezebox...but when I try and add in 79.125.18.91 the controls on the SBRadio (twisting the dial and pushing in to select numbers) starts me at 000.000.000.000 (note the extra places) and makes me select 079.125.018.091 to get the address of 79.125.18.91 Nevertheless, it seems to then attempt to get to the address you gave, but then it gives me the error: "we couldn't connect to 79.125.18.91. Make sure your computer is turned on and connected to your local network and that Logitech Media Server is currently running."

I don't run LMS, or at least I hadn't wanted to - because I thought it was for playing music files off of my PC. What I mostly want is Pandora...sorry to ask but is LMS for running Internet streams like Pandora or the BBC or CBC bypassing mysqueezebox.com? And when I was playing Podcasts through my SB Radio using an "app" from mysqueezebox.com, was it actually playing podcasts off of my PC?? I feel like I'm a complete idiot for not knowing what is going on! And if so, what do I need to have set up in LMS if all I want is Internet streams and podcast feeds without mysqueezebox.com?

Sorry, I'm just sort of afraid to change anything without a little more information for fear that I'll break some of the "magic" of these little boxes that seems to have them working fine for so many years without me knowing what the appliances are really doing :-)

thank you!

garym
2013-12-15, 11:05
Sorry, I'm not as technically adept as many other users of these devices seem to be! Can you describe what that does in a few more words? I don't know what a library is in relation to squeezebox...can you link to another post that describes what you are suggesting it will do? Like do I need to have something else set up to enable this - and does it stop the SB Radio from working using the existing set-up (through mysqueezebox.com)

Sorry, I'm just sort of afraid to change anything without a little more information for fear that I'll break some of the "magic" of these little boxes that seems to have them working fine for so many years without me knowing what the appliances are really doing :-)

thank you!

I suspect that is simply the IP address of an alternative mysqueezebox.com server (there are lots of mysqueezebox.com servers around the world, and not all are down at the same time). The approach I use is to avoid direct connection to mysb.com altogether. Instead I run LMS 24/7. It does everything mysb.com can do PLUS I can play my own music collection. (I'm running on a headless/keyboardless small server stuck in a back room cabinet that runs 24/7, that is, a VORTEXBOX. Sort of like a more powerful NAS).

2bingo
2013-12-15, 11:39

As I feared, after I did that switch to connect to a remote library (which didn't work b/c I don't have LMS) now I couldn't find my way back to making it connect to mysqueezebox.com. I was on my wireless network, but I couldn't figure out how to tell the SB Radio to not go to that remote library.

So I pulled the plug and powered it back up and now it works. I'm sure that isn't the preferred way so if there is an easier way I'd like to know! And for now I'm back on mysqueezebox.com...

2bingo
2013-12-15, 11:44
The approach I use is to avoid direct connection to mysb.com altogether. Instead I run LMS 24/7. It does everything mysb.com can do PLUS I can play my own music collection. (I'm running on a headless/keyboardless small server stuck in a back room cabinet that runs 24/7, that is, a VORTEXBOX. Sort of like a more powerful NAS).

From what I remember- when I did run LMS on my not so new desktop PC it was a memory hog. It would ramp up the memory it was consuming and sometimes make my PC sound like an aircraft engine until I killed it. Maybe a more recent version of LMS would act differently...

valley_nomad
2013-12-15, 14:22
I suspect that is simply the IP address of an alternative mysqueezebox.com server (there are lots of mysqueezebox.com servers around the world, and not all are down at the same time). The approach I use is to avoid direct connection to mysb.com altogether. Instead I run LMS 24/7. It does everything mysb.com can do PLUS I can play my own music collection. (I'm running on a headless/keyboardless small server stuck in a back room cabinet that runs 24/7, that is, a VORTEXBOX. Sort of like a more powerful NAS).

Yes, it is one of mysqueezebox.com IP addresss (You can look up others at http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.htm). So it looks like that the IP mapping for mysb.com in some DNS servers is broken....

Yes, we know that, before becoming a radio, the squeezebox was a networked media player. But that should not be the architecture for a radio. Why do people have to run a server on a PC 24/7 in order to listen to the Internet broadcast stations with another device called radio? Not just for receiving audio, even its alarm clock function is dependent on the server such that the alarm won't go off when the server is down. In my opinion it is simply a totally wrong design :-(

castalla
2013-12-15, 14:53
Yes, it is one of mysqueezebox.com IP addresss (You can look up others at http://www.hcidata.info/host2ip.htm). So it looks like that the IP mapping for mysb.com in some DNS servers is broken....

Yes, we know that, before becoming a radio, the squeezebox was a networked media player. But that should not be the architecture for a radio. Why people have to run a server on a PC 24/7 in order to listen to the Internet broadcast stations with another device called radio? Not just for receiving audio, even its alarm clock function is dependent on the server such that the alarm won't go off when the server is down. In my opinion it is simply a totally wrong design :-(

Almost all current internet radios depend on some external server service - almost all servers go down at some point (and several have just simply disappeared leaving the user with a useless piece of gizmo, or in the best case leave the user with a few presets). LMS devices are at least usable if the external server goes kaputt! There are several options available for LMS servers - from 20 USD up.

ps: depending on an internet device as an alarm is asking for trouble! Just get an alarm clock!

garym
2013-12-15, 15:33
From what I remember- when I did run LMS on my not so new desktop PC it was a memory hog. It would ramp up the memory it was consuming and sometimes make my PC sound like an aircraft engine until I killed it. Maybe a more recent version of LMS would act differently...

something must have been wrong with LMS or your PC. I run it on a few PCs, including a really old XP laptop. Doesn't slow down anything else on the PC at all. edit: Of course I'm talking about normal use. It uses a bit more memory during the short time you might be scanning your music library into the database. But even then, it didn't make my PC noticably different in response to other programs.

2bingo
2013-12-15, 15:37
LMS devices are at least usable if the external server goes kaputt! There are several options available for LMS servers - from 20 USD up.

Hello Castalla
thank you...I'm looking into them now. I had no idea! Just curious, what device were you referring to that is only $20 USD?

I'm reading this now...
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_Guide

Are there any other resources you can direct me to?

garym
2013-12-15, 15:42
Hello Castalla
thank you...I'm looking into them now. I had no idea!

I'm reading this now...

There were a lot of posts on this sort of thing sept 2012 when the end of Squeezeboxes were announced. Here's one:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96207-What-features-will-no-longer-work-if-mysqueezebox-com-is-shut-down&highlight=preparing+for+the+end+of+mysqueezebox.co m

castalla
2013-12-15, 15:52
Hello Castalla
thank you...I'm looking into them now. I had no idea! Just curious, what device were you referring to that is only $20 USD?

I'm reading this now...

There's the Pogoplug (but very limited availability). Probably, the Rapberry Pi is the cheapest - with bits and pieces needed (eg power supply and case, SD card) you're looking about 45 USD.

2bingo
2013-12-15, 15:54

Thanks Gary - I'm looking into Vortexbox now and I like the idea of something that is only asked to do this task - but again I don't really have the need to serve my own files, rather I just want to get my little Squeezeboxes out to see the Internet (Pandora).

I have a feeling I need something a little less involved. I'm not able to be as technically savvy as I might have once (seems like I don't have enough free time to do the necessary puttering and troubleshooting the DIY solutions seem to demand).

thanks again, Bingo

valley_nomad
2013-12-15, 16:24
Almost all current internet radios depend on some external server service - almost all servers go down at some point (and several have just simply disappeared leaving the user with a useless piece of gizmo, or in the best case leave the user with a few presets). LMS devices are at least usable if the external server goes kaputt! There are several options available for LMS servers - from 20 USD up.

ps: depending on an internet device as an alarm is asking for trouble! Just get an alarm clock!

I have a Roku SoundBridge radio. It doesn't depend on a server at all. Using a server for directory service (e.g search) is one thing, while designing every function around a server running either on a PC or some external service is another. They should allow the radio to connect to any Internet radio station directly without the help from a server. And radio itself should be able to keep the time instead of relying on the server sending the trigger for alarm. Putting necessary intelligence on the clients (e.g. radio here) is always a good and desired practice in designing any networked devices so that the minimum functions can be kept when the connection is down.

garym
2013-12-15, 17:17
I have a Roku SoundBridge radio.

yes, it still depends on Roku running a server in the background. It's just invisible. But if Roku shut down the background server, there would be issues.

valley_nomad
2013-12-15, 17:34
yes, it still depends on Roku running a server in the background. It's just invisible. But if Roku shut down the background server, there would be issues.

It is not correct. When you select one of 18 favorites, the radio will try to connect to the station with that URL directly. No other server is involved in the process. The same thing is true for alarm function. In these use scenarios all necessary data is stored on the radio and related functions are executed locally by the device.

garym
2013-12-15, 17:42
It is not correct. When you select one of 18 favorites, the radio will try to connect to the station with that URL directly. No other server is involved in the process. The same thing is true for alarm function. In these use scenarios all necessary data is stored on the radio and related functions are executed locally.

but that's all true with squeezeboxes too if one uses the direct URL for internet radio. I can listen to all my internet radio favorites without mysqueezebox.com working at all, using a local LMS as the server. But I get your point. Maybe with the roku radio you don't need a local server. But try playing Pandora over a Roku player if Roku shuts down its back end server. or SiriusXM. Anyhow, nothing to argue over. Logitech doesn't make or sell squeezebox radios anymore. They are out of that business. We could just as easily discuss the pros and cons of a Hallicrafters 101 Mark III from 1957 as compared to a Hammarlund HQ-180AC from 1966. :)

edit: I have a Hallicrafters 101 Mark III. It weighs about as much as a 1957 Chevrolet and cost almost as much (in 1957)! But it won't play my FLAC files!

toby10
2013-12-16, 03:07
Roku does indeed use a central server. When you added that station to your Roku Favorites it is this server that offered that station and then added it to your Favorites. If/when Roku shuts down it's server you will not be able to browse for more stations to be played or added to your favorites.

In fact many Roku users have been complaining for a while that Roku is not keeping it's station lists and url's updated. With no Roku music streaming devices being sold anymore (i.e. revenue) there is little interest for Roku to pay much attention to it's music streaming server.

The one saving grace for Roku is it's video players which offer online station streaming. Is there a Roku Radio app for these? Don't know myself as I have no interest in using my Roku video player for music. I've seen apps for ShoutCast, Pandora, TuneIn, etc... but I've not seen one for Roku itself (like used for their old music players).

jimbobvfr400
2013-12-16, 03:54
I also have a Soundbridge player in a box somewhere and you can add other stations manually. The Roku has its own very rudimentary web server that allows you to do this. You're right about browsing being dependent on a server but at least you would be able to add new favourites. Of course everything else about the Sound bridge is really dated compared to squeezebox.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Tapatalk

pbroughton
2013-12-16, 12:36
either out and/or slow same as the other day

toby10
2013-12-16, 13:22
No idea but the US west MySB.com server might be having issues still. A couple of people on the other forum are claiming they still cannot connect.
I want to say they were in AZ and possibly WA, not 100% sure.

berkey
2013-12-16, 22:16
I'm having the same problem and getting the exact same error message. Radio was working OK earlier today, then it just stopped and I started getting the error message when I ran Diagnostics. The WiFi connection on the Squeezebox shows it's connected, but unable to connect to mysqueezebox.com.

WiFi is working fine on all my other wireless devices.

I've been having problems connecting off and on since Friday (12/13/13). Connected last night did a lot of work getting things back in order. Ran the box overnight with no problems (KUSC3) all night switched to a Pandora Classical Christmas station in the morning. One hour later it stopped. I had to turn on LMS but then I couldn't use Pandora.
Later in the day, I jacked an iPad into my system from its headphone jack using a cable with the minijack on one end and RCAs on the other. The Pandora app runs quite well on the iPad. BTW, this also makes Radioio available again. If this keeps up much longer I just might be in the market for the new iPad mini......

Berkey

toby10
2013-12-17, 03:35
I've been having problems connecting off and on since Friday (12/13/13). .... Pandora Classical Christmas station in the morning. One hour later it stopped. I had to turn on LMS but then I couldn't use Pandora.....

Try just pressing the FFWD button when it stopped? Is your LMS properly setup with your MySB.com account?
I've been streaming free Pandora for two days just fine.

berkey
2013-12-17, 20:04
I've been having problems connecting off and on since Friday (12/13/13). Connected last night did a lot of work getting things back in order. Ran the box overnight with no problems (KUSC3) all night switched to a Pandora Classical Christmas station in the morning. One hour later it stopped. I had to turn on LMS but then I couldn't use Pandora.
Later in the day, I jacked an iPad into my system from its headphone jack using a cable with the minijack on one end and RCAs on the other. The Pandora app runs quite well on the iPad. BTW, this also makes Radioio available again. If this keeps up much longer I just might be in the market for the new iPad mini......

Berkey

Just thought to bring things up to date....

Just before crawling into the sack early this morning, I thought I'd change stations to another which was still working. My Squeeze wouldn't allow that so I tried (in a sleepy moment) to change the library forgetting that I'd shut down my computer for the night. This move re-started the computer but not the LMS as I do not have that set to start upon boot up. I waited for a few minutes and all of a sudden everything started to work again... Not sure just what happened but everything's working as it should. Perhaps the server returned just at that moment, perhaps my threat of iPad intervention, or maybe the stars had arrived at a perfect alignment..... So, all's well for the moment.
Now if I can just figure out how to configure my settings so that when I use the remote the display doesn't develop a case of elephantine lettering....

berkey

toby10
2013-12-18, 03:41
You can change the Touch's reaction to the IR remote to remain the same (smaller) size. It's in the Screen settings (not at my Touch at the moment).

berkey
2013-12-18, 14:09
You can change the Touch's reaction to the IR remote to remain the same (smaller) size. It's in the Screen settings (not at my Touch at the moment).

Thanks for your rapid reply Toby10. I found the setting and all's well again.

Berkey

berkey
2013-12-18, 14:31
Try just pressing the FFWD button when it stopped? Is your LMS properly setup with your MySB.com account?
I've been streaming free Pandora for two days just fine.

When I tried to select Pandora I got a message telling me that it could not detect a proper Squeeze device so I had no FFWD button to press. But I'm not sure that I had the LMS running at the time Pandora stopped. If I get in that situation again I'll make sure that the LMS is up and running and try your advice.
As a footnote, most of the stations tuned through apps (or converted to favorites) such as Slacker, etc weren't working but some gave no items in playlist, 404 not found, and other usual suspects.
Thanks again Toby10

Berkey

toby10
2013-12-19, 04:23
Yes, again, verify LMS is properly configured with MySB.com. Also some services (I think Pandora is one) will not allow the use of the LMS software players, if you are using one.