PDA

View Full Version : Recent problem: Constant rebuffering.

Ikabob
2013-12-11, 22:43
Recently we had a new tv system installed in the family room aka den. It is a smart tv and has additionally a bluetooth sound bar and a blue ray player. Also, my wireless provider installed a new modem in the basement( may not be the source of the problem).
But, my main audio system is also in the family room. It is a SBTouch leading into Multiple components.
Since this new tv system and since the new modem(in basement), I have had a persistent rebuffering of stations which I normally listen to previously with no problems. The TV set up is about 15 feet away from the audio system.
The router in the basement is a single band router. Would a new more modern better router eliminate this problem?
Any suggestions? Thank you.

castalla
2013-12-12, 02:42
Sounds like a router issue

But, eliminate the TV as a source of the problem - switch it off! Still buffering? Switch it on - buffering?

Ikabob
2013-12-12, 04:47
Ok. Thanks for the response. It's now early morning and I'm in another room but using the same Touch-audio system but different speakers are on. So far (30 minutes) no rebuffering. Speakers in family room are off. TV has been "asleep" for about 6 hours(not powered off).

castalla
2013-12-12, 05:15
Ok. Thanks for the response. It's now early morning and I'm in another room but using the same Touch-audio system but different speakers are on. So far (30 minutes) no rebuffering. Speakers in family room are off. TV has been "asleep" for about 6 hours(not powered off).

Guesws you mean standby for 'sleeping' .... my Samsung is not connected to the network when on standby. It's still worth trying an on/off - could be an ip address conflict but we need to know if there's any pattern.

Ikabob
2013-12-12, 05:22
Yes, I did mean standby. I will definitely try the "TV off". Our TV is Samsung also. So far, I haven't had a true rebuf but I have had 2 "cut outs" for a second or two. Thanks again.

bpa
2013-12-12, 06:14
Network problem could either be ISP, interference, overload, or if new modem is a modem/router new router has worse perf than old router.

If problem only when playing internet station and not local music playing - then possibly ISP issues (e.g. traffic mgmt settings in router/modem)

To check for interference ( e.g wifi/Bluetooth from TV / blueray) test by unplugging all devices new devices and plugin in each one separately and finally all and see if it imporves things.

If interference is the issue dual band may not help as SBT only works on 2.4 but might alleviate if bluetooth (also 2.4Ghz) interference is happening and your other devices support 5Ghz.

If you have overloading (e.g. TV / blueray chattering over net) then turning off devices can also test this issue.

If you are using a new router and new router is the problem, then you could disable wireless on new router and attached old router configured as an access point connected to new router.

Ikabob
2013-12-12, 06:54
Good suggestions. I'll work on the process. It is not a new router only a new modem. I also forgot to mention that the cable boxes were changed too. They have the new feature which is that they are DVRs and communicate from one to the other, that is if I record one show on one DVR it shows up on the other....is that Bluetooth? I'll throw that into the mix too. I could go back to the old cable boxes, no problem. The best case scenario for me would be to simply get a new more functional router to accommodate all the new "stuff". Thanks for responses.

Ikabob
2013-12-12, 07:19
Interesting finding. So, I sat down in the family room with radio station playing. I turned on the TV and watched a portion of a program. I went to the smart netflix station etc. There is no problem with the music rebuf. I think I am correlating the rebuf issue with an evening time period, like 7 pm to 11 pm.
Could a neighbor's connection be causing interference during prime time? I'll keep checking but right now (9:15am est) all is well. Not a single rebuf.

Julf
2013-12-12, 08:31
Could a neighbor's connection be causing interference during prime time? I'll keep checking but right now (9:15am est) all is well. Not a single rebuf.

Cable is shared bandwidth... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdiGsjfbjWw)