PDA

View Full Version : [Announce] iPeng 7, the iOS 7 Squeezebox App for iPhone and iPad

pippin
2013-12-10, 20:48
As already mentioned in the "leak" thread, I want to introduce an entirely new iOS App: iPeng 7.
It comes with an overhauled user interface adapted to iOS 7, it is a universal App (the same App runs on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch), and it has become even more powerful and user friendly compared to earlier iPeng versions.

iPeng 7 is not an update of the existing iPeng and iPeng for iPad versions, it’s a new App, and yes, as an existing customer, you will have to buy it “again”, however, existing Playback In-App-Purchases will stay valid as long as you transfer them using iCloud or use the same device for the old and the new App.

Why a new App?

iPeng has been around for almost five years now, and during that time it saw numerous updates, redesigns and new features, and except for Playback all of those came for free. But adding features and creating updates is a lot of work and actually costs a lot of money. Since the Squeezebox system was discontinued by Logitech and since iPeng is already so present in the Squeezebox user base, we were not able to justify new developments for existing Apps for iOS 7 from new sales. After all, users who do not wish to buy the new App do not have to: the old iPeng Apps still work flawlessly, even under iOS 7.
I don't want to give up on supporting the Squeezeboxes, so a new App was the choice.

Legacy Support
There is one more good reason for this: I don't want to entirely give up on supporting old devices.
Even though you can now download previous versions of Apps from the App Store only the latest version can get updates.

I have stayed committed to support old devices in the past, and actually iPeng is among a very small minority of Apps still providing updates that run on iOS 4 devices (iPhone 3G 2nd generation iPod touch) while most Apps on the App Store require iOS 6 for quite a while now.

This clearly interferes with modernizing an App. We have felt this problem even with the previous iPeng versions, but for iOS 7 it has become really imminent: it is very, very hard to create an App that both integrates well with iOS 7 and still supports older OS versions. Supporting iOS 4 and 5 would have been completely out of the question.
So for us, bringing out this App as an update would have meant that we could not provide our Apps for all devices that only support iOS 5 (e.g. 3rd generation iPod touch and iPad 1) and probably also those with iOS 6 (i.e. iPhone 3GS) anymore. We could not only no longer provide updates and bug fixes for these devices.

The Decision
So the decision was to make a clean cut. iPeng 7 is a new App, it uses a modernized platform and code base to fully support iOS 7, and to ease the pain a little bit, it will be a universal App for both iPhone /iPod and iPad. Existing Playback purchases can be migrated. And if you don’t like iOS 7, you can still use the old version.

But I just bought the old iPeng!
Please contact me under coolio (att) penguinlovesmusic (dott) com and send your App Store receipt.

So what’s new in iPeng 7

Besides providing an entirely iOS 7-like look and feel, iPeng 7 also brings a number of new features users have been asking for for a long time – after all, one of the merits of not having to keep legacy support is that you can improve things more easily.
There are a lot of details that got improved, and I will write more articles on them in the future, but here are the highlights:

Redesigned iPad User Interface

iPeng for iPad’s user interface has started to look dated for quite a while, and we have taken the opportunity to completely redesign it. Player- and Playlist-related controls have been separated out to different bars at the top and bottom of the screen, there are no “hidden” controls anymore (yet there still are convenience gestures, actually a lot of them!),, and the whole screen layout got tidied up.
In landscape mode you can now pin down the current playlist to permanently show it next to the library content, and the content window can be scaled to show even more of these gorgeous views iPeng uses to present your music library and other content.

Fully Customizable Main Menu

A lot of users have asked to be able to change their main menu structure to have other menu items on the home menu or hide things they don’t need. iPeng 7 now allows you to do that through a simple drag-and-drop interface.

New MultiPlayer Control
The MultiPlayer Control used to select players and music sources and to manage synchronization has been redesigned to structure it better and to make changes more easy and transparent.

Can I Have it in Black?
Hell, yes!

This has been one of our “most frequently asked questions”, and in the past it had been impossible on iPhone and “too hard” on iPad, but with iOS 7 we are finally there: yes, there is a switch to select a black /dark user interface.

Get it Now!
For the first week, iPeng 7 is selling at an introductory price. So, if you like what you’ve seen and read, go to the App Store, get iPeng 7 now and have fun!
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipeng7/id767266886?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l56j

If you want to learn more first, here's the full announcement:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2013/12/11/introducing-ipeng-7/
Here's the "leak" thread with lots of details:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?100478-Leak-iOS-7/

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/iPeng7_2_152.png
http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15357&d=1386425383 http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15368&d=1386524949

hvb83
2013-12-11, 03:08
Great work Pippin, bought the new app the minute I saw the post on FB. Haven't had the time to look at it in detail yet, but it looks very good and I'm sure the new GUI will grow on me in the coming days, just as it did when I first started out with iPeng.

And also I'm very happy to support your hard work once more for me and the GF. With Windows or an iPhone we all find it only logical to buy the new version once it arrives and with iPeng we all had the joy of free updates for the past 5 years. With most apps I see they mainly get bugfixes, iPeng has rely evolved in big steps during that time.

ReValveiT
2013-12-11, 07:43
Bought it last night and left a review.

Love being able to hide menu items and really loving the overall new look!

Brill as always!

Now, the ability to upload LMS tracks into iPengs player would be the icing!

:)

epoch1970
2013-12-11, 14:33
Ach. I posted in the "leak" thread...
It's not leaking at all. It's a pretty solid bundle :)
Everybody should run to their nearest iTunes Store.

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-11, 15:58
Ach. I posted in the "leak" thread...

Oops, me too...

DoomWolf
2013-12-12, 05:46
As a very happy iPeng user for several years, I was happy to buy this new version for my iPad 2 and my wife's new iPad Mini Retina. I've certainly got more value out of iPeng over the years than the price I paid for it.

I did spot a small mistake in the Q&A section on http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2013/12/11/introducing-ipeng-7/

On which devices does it run?

iPeng 7 runs on all devices that support iOS 7. Currently that means all ďretinaĒ devices and the iPad 2 and iPad mini (iPhone 4 and newer, iPod touch 4th generation and newer).

iOS 7 is only compatible with the iPod Touch 5th generation, so 4th gen owners (like me) can't use iPeng 7 on the Touch.

pippin
2013-12-12, 06:30
Thanks!
Now that you mention it I remember that there recently was an iOS 6 update specifically for it to fix facetime.
What a pity.

WhaleOil
2013-12-13, 15:20
Hi

Many thanks for this update to iPeng. I really like the new look and feel and the new features.

In particular I have been hoping for the display of multiple artists for a long time, so really pleased to see this added feature. However.... (there is always a but isn't there...) as well as multiple artists, the now playing details at the top of the screen now show multiple artists, album artist (where different from the artist) and also any information in the composer field too. I am sure that preferences amongst users will vary, but I would much prefer just the artist field(s) to be shown.

Is this possible?

Keep up the good work and many thanks again!

WhaleOil

WhaleOil
2013-12-13, 15:39
Also, if I may add just a couple of other observations on the listing of multiple artists...

Firstly this only seems to show up in the now playing screen and the now playing info at the top of the main screen. When browsing albums or artists, tracks with multiple artists show just one of the artists.
Also in the playlist, just one artist is shown until that particular track is playing and then it changes to show all artists (and also the album artist and composer details as noted in my post above).

Many thanks

WhaleOil

pippin
2013-12-13, 16:07
Ahhh. I knew you can't do artists right :)

Is this possible?

Sure. A lot is possible. Then somebody else will complain :)

I'm sure I can spend a few month developing a fully configurable and scriptable version that can be adapted to anybody's wishes but will be so horribly complex that everybody hates it :)

The way it is now is the same way the Logitech App shows artists so probably what most people expect.

Firstly this only seems to show up in the now playing screen and the now playing info at the top of the main screen.

Yes.

When browsing albums or artists, tracks with multiple artists show just one of the artists.

Yes, and it's staying that way.

It's a performance issue.
Current playlist is especially bad. Already now it's possible to create playlists that will never completely load and bring the performance of both the App and the server pretty much down (although you have to remove the default limit of 500 tracks in the server settings for this).
The same is true for albums. A single album might not be a big issue but if you open something like "Various Artists->All Songs", that's a menu with some 15.000 tracks for me which has to be fully retrieved and sorted on the device, downloading it in one minute or in four makes for quite a difference and the full artist lookup is sloooow. :)

Also in the playlist, just one artist is shown until that particular track is playing and then it changes to show all artists (and also the album artist and composer details as noted in my post above).

Well, yes. Once iPeng has the information it does of course use it. Also, the current track has scrolling labels in the iPad's playlist screen saver so it can show it as well....

)p(
2013-12-14, 00:51
I really like the new look and layout. Love to be able to set the tree. And to be able to show it as icons only because it looks better and frees some space in portrait mode that I use most. As Apple would say, the best Ipeng yet.

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-14, 02:08
Reporting an issue I've seen with iPeng 7 on my iPhone:
This morning I switched from a test LMS to my main LMS. I then selected a player and started smart mix. Player starts playing but I the playlist on iPeng shows empty. The rest is functional, I can skip back and forward without problems.
The same happens with any other music source (select an album, random mix, playlist, etc) - playlist shows empty.

I then restarted iPeng and it worked again as it should.

ikruspan
2013-12-14, 02:13
Thak you !!! Nice and clean. I like new iPeng very much. On iPad much much better than old one.

ikruspan
2013-12-14, 02:18

pippin
2013-12-14, 04:06
Reporting an issue I've seen with iPeng 7 on my iPhone:

Yes, it's a known issue. If you switch servers you need to restart the App for the current playlist to update. Working on it.

HeadBanger
2013-12-14, 04:59
I purchased this yesterday and really like it. Thanks pippin!

pippin
2013-12-14, 05:02
Where is the "like" button on this forum when I need it :)

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-14, 06:32
Yes, it's a known issue. If you switch servers you need to restart the App for the current playlist to update. Working on it.

Okay, good to know.
It's not a huge thing though.

pippin
2013-12-14, 06:35
And I've got a fix :)
The current playlist never switched servers and the old server obviously doesn't know the new player....

I wondered whether something like that would break since I migrated some logic from iPeng UE which always uses several servers in parallel. The real goal was to be allow registration with MySqueezebox.com without having to switch servers, it's part of the new help screen that comes up when no players are being found,

WhaleOil
2013-12-15, 03:18
Pippin

Thank you for your reply and your explanation of the reasons why things are the way they are. All understood.

Many thanks

WhaleOil

Mnyb
2013-12-15, 05:22
... and now my iPad AIR is here :) bought the app very impresive design , will decommission the old pad over the holidays

Grumpy Bob
2013-12-15, 13:01
Love the new UI, a great improvement on the old one!
One odd thing: I'm seeing a bit of confusion with artwork - occasional albums seem to be associated with the artwork from a different album. I have the artwork as cover.jpg in the relevant album folder.
Artwork is fine on the LMS web page, on the Touch, on Squeezeplay, on Squeezepad and on the old version of iPeng (which is still installed).

Robert

pippin
2013-12-15, 14:11
Does it help to flush the cache?

CharlieG
2013-12-15, 19:38
Love the new UI, a great improvement on the old one!
One odd thing: I'm seeing a bit of confusion with artwork - occasional albums seem to be associated with the artwork from a different album. I have the artwork as cover.jpg in the relevant album folder.

Does it help to flush the cache?

I had the same issue. Flushing cache did not help. I shut down the app, restarted, and all was perfect again.
I can't reproduce the issue.

Grumpy Bob
2013-12-15, 20:45
I had the same issue. Flushing cache did not help. I shut down the app, restarted, and all was perfect again.
I can't reproduce the issue.

I flushed the cache several times, restarted a couple of times. Didn't help, though the albums with confused artwork changed slightly.

I've just reflushed the cache and restarted. Looks like the artwork is correct now. Very mysterious!

Robert

pippin
2013-12-15, 21:05
I haven't been able to reproduce this so far.
However... Since I posted the 7.0 version I have made quite a number of changes to the artwork handling. They were mainly done for performance reasons but might potentially fix this issue, too, some of the issues affecting performance could have an effect on the correct caching as well.

The 7.0.1 version is waiting for approval since yesterday, let's hope it makes it before the holiday shutdown.

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-16, 02:24
The 7.0.1 version is waiting for approval since yesterday, let's hope it makes it before the holiday shutdown.

Great app with great support!
I think your app is way too cheap for the service you provide us!

pippin
2013-12-16, 05:27
Great app with great support!
I think your app is way too cheap for the service you provide us!

Well, then let's all remember what else you can do for iPeng 7 by rating it ;)

garym
2013-12-16, 05:36

good point. we forget that not everyone hangs out here. I just added a review at the itunes store.

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-16, 05:42

Done!

pippin
2013-12-16, 06:29
Thank you :)

didjean
2013-12-16, 06:37

Also done on my side. Thanks for this new version. It's great to see that the Squeezebox world is pretty well alive!

ddewey
2013-12-16, 19:22
Pippin, thanks for the update!

One thing that I can't figure out and I miss - when my phone is locked (iPhone 5s, ios 7-whatever-is-current) the album art and player controls no longer appear on the lock screen. I don't remember ever having to specifically turn this on previously, nor can I figure it out now if it is indeed a setting. The older versions worked fine on this same phone and OS. What am I missing?

Thanks! One of my favorite and most-used iphone apps that I've now bought repeatedly. :-)

pippin
2013-12-16, 20:16
That was an option and iPeng 7 currently does indeed not have it.
What the App needs to do to enable this is to stay running in the background which generally is a big "no-no" in Apple's App Store rules.
They have never complained about it in the old iPeng and it's indeed a bit of an edge case because iPeng is an audio App and Audio Apps are allowed to run in the background but I didn't want to take a chance with the first releases when they are still more critical.

It's still in the App (and works if you are playing on the device itself) and I plan to try to bring it back with one of the next updates (but definitely not the very next one). But no guarantees given, it's something Apple can pull anytime, even for the old Apps.

Mnyb
2013-12-16, 22:38
I must applaud the dark mode :) i like that .

HeadBanger
2013-12-17, 01:20
I'm on dark mode too for both phone and pad. Much easier on the eye!

datja
2013-12-17, 05:07
I like the dark look, too.

I have a question to all users and to pippin (I also asked him in an email):

Mrs Datja wants an Airplay speaker for Christmas present, to use via LMS -> iPad w iPeng 7 playback. (She wants a new stereo with LMS connection in a new room, and SB being discontinued, I felt that using one of our existing iPad/iPengs would be smartest.) Will this work in a wife-friendly manner. Does anybody know?

Will streaming sound from the LMS youtube plugin (provided that it works [not at present]) through Airplay to the speakers work?

We don't have Apple TV or Airport Express -- is either of those necessary?

I wish that pippin adopted the youtube plugin -- that is my only suggestion.

garym
2013-12-17, 05:48
I like the dark look, too.

I have a question to all users and to pippin (I also asked him in an email):

Mrs Datja wants an Airplay speaker for Christmas present, to use via LMS -> iPad w iPeng 7 playback. (She wants a new stereo with LMS connection in a new room, and SB being discontinued, I felt that using one of our existing iPad/iPengs would be smartest.) Will this work in a wife-friendly manner. Does anybody know?

Will streaming sound from the LMS youtube plugin (provided that it works [not at present]) through Airplay to the speakers work?

We don't have Apple TV or Airport Express -- is either of those necessary?

I wish that pippin adopted the youtube plugin -- that is my only suggestion.

does airplay work at all with LMS? Why not just have any sort of powered speaker system connected to a dock, and use ipeng and player function sitting in the dock to mimic a squeezebox player? Why the need for airplay?

datja
2013-12-17, 06:01
Thank you but that was not what my wife wanted. Docking is so 00s ;) - for example one can't use the iPad for other stuff when docked. I have to order these speakers today for Christmas to be Merry.

garym
2013-12-17, 06:04
Thank you but that was not what my wife wanted. Docking is so 00s ;) - for example one can't use the iPad for other stuff when docked. I have to order these speakers today for Christmas to be Merry.

OK. But as I noted, I'm not sure airplay works with LMS. Someone else will need to confirm whether I'm correct about this.

datja
2013-12-17, 07:13
Well it's not LMS itself that'd use airplay but ipeng playback to airplay receiver.

garym
2013-12-17, 07:18
Well it's not LMS itself that'd use airplay but ipeng playback to airplay receiver.

Are you saying that the above does work? Or are you asking whether that will work?

pippin
2013-12-17, 07:51
OK, I've answered your mail with a bit more detail but let'S do the short version here, too, to avoid confusion:

AirPlay does of course not work directly with LMS but it DOES work just fine with iPeng's playback. Under iOS 7 some people have even been successful in using synchronization although that's still clearly not as good as with a Squeezebox or an iThingy wired to the speakers. Although that could also have been caused by the downstream audio chain on my AppleTV, I have to experiment a bit more with this.

The limitations of AirPlay are in the way AirPlay works: you only get 44.1/16, everything else will play but get re-sampled by iOS.
And iPeng has to run for the Audio to play. On an iPad that's probably feasible due to the large battery and the large RAM.

Still... if you've got a spare iThingy I'd dock it and use it as a dedicated player. Makes for a nice, permanent NowPlaying screen and definitely syncs well (if it's at least a 3rd generation device).

Mnyb
2013-12-17, 22:42
Eh just tried it on my phone , feeling somewhat stupid .

How do you get away from the multiplayer menu to say any other menu ? I'm stuck there ? No buttons no arrows no gestures ?

Edit:
Ok a restart cured it , all controlls at the bottom off the screen where missing :confused:

They returned after the restart , wonder if I ever can reproduce this one , it was on the first start ever of the app ?

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-17, 23:21

Alternatively, you could use Bluetooth speakers connected to your iThing.
For travel I use UE Boombox speakers with my iPhone. Works great and no need for Airplay.

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/08/28/Logitech_portablespeaker_35419329_01_620x433.jpg

If this is for an iPad, make sure you have at least an iPad 3 (wifi + bt doesn't work well together on an iPad 2).

pippin
2013-12-18, 01:05
Eh just tried it on my phone , feeling somewhat stupid .

How do you get away from the multiplayer menu to say any other menu ? I'm stuck there ? No buttons no arrows no gestures ?

Edit:
Ok a restart cured it , all controlls at the bottom off the screen where missing :confused:

They returned after the restart , wonder if I ever can reproduce this one , it was on the first start ever of the app ?

iPhone 4 or 4S?
Yes, it's a known issue and yes, it (hopefully) won't come back, it has to do with the modal dialog at start.

pippin
2013-12-18, 01:07
Alternatively, you could use Bluetooth speakers connected to your iThing.
For travel I use UE Boombox speakers with my iPhone. Works great and no need for Airplay.

http://i.i.cbsi.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/08/28/Logitech_portablespeaker_35419329_01_620x433.jpg

If this is for an iPad, make sure you have at least an iPad 3 (wifi + bt doesn't work well together on an iPad 2).

Bluetooth speakers are OK for travel but the sound quality really isn't that good. Compared to Bluetooth's lossy codecs, mp3 is an audiophile compression standard....

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-18, 01:22
Bluetooth speakers are OK for travel but the sound quality really isn't that good. Compared to Bluetooth's lossy codecs, mp3 is an audiophile compression standard....

True, bt audio is not lossless but I don't think the OP is looking for such a system. The OP was talking about "Airplay speakers" and not a high end system. And while bt audio is not lossless these speakers provide very good audio quality (even for such small speakers). There are even bigger bt speakers available who sound even better.

pippin
2013-12-18, 01:39
He was looking into some quite decent AirPlay speakers in the mail he sent me, IIRC

Mnyb
2013-12-18, 01:47
iPhone 4 or 4S?
Yes, it's a known issue and yes, it (hopefully) won't come back, it has to do with the modal dialog at start.

iPhone 4 , and it has worked from now on .

pippin
2013-12-18, 21:36
iPeng 7 has now seen it's first update on the App Store, to version 7.0.1

Changes include

Improved scrolling performance, especially the worst-case performance should now be much better.
Improved artwork handling in general
Fixed a crash on startup with PlayReal plugin in some server setups
A number of new icons for CustomBrowse menus
And a few general bug fixes.

Have fun!

paulster
2013-12-18, 23:22
Just put 7.0.1 on my iPhone and iPad. The iPad is showing the new icons for Custom Browse, which are much nicer, but the iPhone is using the old ones still. More worryingly, neither device is loading the artwork thumbnails now when accessing the albums views (albums or new albums) via Custom Browse, which is the only way I get to mine since I use MultiLibrary.

This was working before, albeit with the couple of artwork items muddled up that we'd discussed.

The web interface is working properly so I think my LMS server is behaving itself.

EDIT: I decided to rearrange the menus on both devices and now the artwork is displaying immediately after making that change. Whether that was related or it just took ages to reload the cache after clearing it I don't know. Regardless, it's displaying artwork now, which is a big plus!

EDIT 2: iPad crashed and artwork has gone again in the Custom Browse menus.

pippin
2013-12-19, 04:50
iPeng 7 is now less aggressive on enforcing artwork load because that was what caused the lag before.
Since CustomBrowse menus load artwork through a different path than the "normal" albums menus it might be that they don't automatically trigger the first download when no album art has been loaded, yet, I have to check that. Does it help if you go to any of the "native" menus and back to the Custom Browse menu?

Ikabob
2013-12-19, 05:26
Does the ipeng playback feature automatically transfer to the new release. If not, how do you incorporate this feature into V7.01?
Thanks for the hard work.

garym
2013-12-19, 05:27
Does the ipeng playback feature automatically transfer to the new release. If not, how do you incorporate this feature into V7.01?
Thanks for the hard work.

mine did on my ipad without me having to do anything other than install the new ipeng7

Mnyb
2013-12-19, 05:54
mine did on my ipad without me having to do anything other than install the new ipeng7

+1

Yes and on my iPhone too !

bassoonde
2013-12-19, 06:12
I just saw the new version of ipeng 7. Also I missed the reduced price for the first week.
So I would like to ask. Is there a chance to get the reduced price again? Maybe during the christmas days.
Chris

local.bin
2013-12-19, 06:29
Purchased a day or so late for the intro price :( and no local playback from downloaded files from the server.

Had hoped it would get added at some stage, but happy to support you, as your updates are regular, but seems cosmetic updates from what I can see at the moment.

Did I also miss an announcement of the intro pricing? as that would have been nice to receive by email for all existing users? Would have expected existing users for some years to get the first option to upgrade at a better price.

Regards

pippin
2013-12-19, 07:33
Since we never require any registration we simply don't have e-mail of existing customers.
We did announce it on the web site, in this forum and some other forums as well as on the iPeng Facebook page.

garym
2013-12-19, 08:58
Since we never require any registration we simply don't have e-mail of existing customers.
We did announce it on the web site, in this forum and some other forums as well as on the iPeng Facebook page.

You did all you could do, and it was nice of you to have a reduced price for any time at all. Frankly, I'd easily pay 5 times as much for any of your products. They are very good, do what they are supposed to do, and the service, response, and updates are tremendous. Happy Holidays!

Pascal Hibon
2013-12-19, 10:14
You did all you could do, and it was nice of you to have a reduced price for any time at all. Frankly, I'd easily pay 5 times as much for any of your products. They are very good, do what they are supposed to do, and the service, response, and updates are tremendous. Happy Holidays!

+1 (without words...)

pippin
2013-12-19, 10:47
If I ever get mad and open a consultancy then Pippin's first rule of marketing will be: unless you are competing on price alone: don't do promotions, they just create bad mood. It's been my experience with all of them I've done so far.

It was already the case with the discount for iPeng playback. Some people would go to great length to get that and if it didn't work for some reason (Wong account, old device,...) they would spend hours to make it work and really get frustrated. And I couldn't even help because there's no such thing as vouchers for IAP, I could just offer to give them their money back, but in most cases that wasn't hat they wanted, they wanted to get the discount.
It was a bad idea. It's one of the reasons why I'm happy that iPeng 7 is a universal App, even though that will probably cut my long-term revenue in half, but in the same long term, things will get more simple....

Thg6276
2013-12-19, 11:15
Bonjour Pippin,

It is the third time that I buy iPeng (Ipod / Ipad and now for IOS7) but still the same quality of product !

Thanks for your hard work

Only one thing to note, this year our penguin has not his red christmas hat :)

Mnyb
2013-12-19, 11:54
Oh i had not noticed ,the price tag was unusually low :) :) ( investigating the receipt ) .

Was it really rigth that I got iPeng 7 on two devices and playback on two devices for the price .

Good app's for the squeezebox system are not exactly plentifull , get them while they last .

I was bored last Friday and opened a bottle of wine it resulted in music from bandcamp for more than this app costed .

IPeng/(My bought music collection + my current hifi setup) =~ 100-50 ppm .

Does promotions for this app really serves a purpose , there is not much of alternative products and every long time user eventually comes around when they get iOS7 .

In other product categories , I whished apple just pruned the "me too + ads" products a bit.
I just need 10-50 good ones to pick from some full price some with add financing not, 8000 meh products :)

bassoonde
2013-12-19, 12:09
I don't want to insist on a discount. I heard today about a new version and also read about a discount. I didn't want to start a discussion about this.
Ipeng is worth this price and I will order it now. So it's Time to stop about this and talk about new features for Ipeng.

bassoonde
2013-12-19, 12:13
Oh I forget. A red hat would be nice again. 😍

Mnyb
2013-12-19, 12:22
I don't mind the Xmas penguin :) but it forces pippin to come out with an update very soon after the holidays it gets old quickly .

But I've sot of got used to him too .

Some nifty design that actually modifies the icon depending on time of the year...

Mnyb
2013-12-19, 12:26
Features , I really like that you can "expand" the rigth hand pane when browsing albums or anything to get more images visible.

pippin
2013-12-19, 13:20
No, I deeply regret not being able to do the XMas Coolio.
But I wasn't completely sure the 7.0.1 update would make it to the store in time and bringing the Santa hat out on, say, Jan 1st would have been extremely lame.
And I'm not brave enough to do it for the old iPeng again. There, I get a warning with every upload that I'm using an old binary format which I do to support 2nd generation devices. Apple can enforce the new format any time as they did for the 4"-support last spring and then users of old devices would keep the Santa hat forever.

Ikabob
2013-12-19, 16:09
The new version is nice. How do you turn all devices on or off at the same time? Thanks.

pippin
2013-12-19, 16:10
Like before. Hold the power button.

Ikabob
2013-12-19, 16:22
Thank you and is it possible to have a volume control on the playlist-listing page?

pippin
2013-12-19, 16:25
iPhone? No. Compromises...

Well.. Volume keys, of course

Ikabob
2013-12-19, 17:20
Any "preserve connection" setting.

Mnyb
2013-12-19, 17:27
Phone version :

New music behave strange it flickers with the artwork every time you enter the list ?

At album track level where you see single tracks there is never any album artwork ,just the placeholder picture.

This section below is with the small artwork view, it behaves different with large artwork .

Suggestion , play modes at album list levels too .
Now tapping an album just plays it ,yes i know I can hold in the space beside and get the menu , where I can chose action.

Holding the album art ? Should it not either show the menu with choices off add play or add-to ,or add to end or something.
Now it just delays the start of that album ? Works just like tapping it when I release the finger .
However it is a nice touch that if keep holding and place another finger on the side and release the first finger I cancel the action .

Is it really obvius that pressing the penguin icon gives you " now playing " :) he he

General:

I see some " smart mix " issues I'll investigate more before pinning it on iPeng it could most likly be smartmix or defeat the destructive touch to play settings

pippin
2013-12-19, 18:03
Any "preserve connection" setting.

That hopefully will come back eventually.
However... Strictly speaking that feature is pretty high on Apple's "forbidden" list which is why I didn't try to enable it in the first few versions. Will try again early next year, it's still in there,...

paulster
2013-12-20, 00:54
iPeng 7 is now less aggressive on enforcing artwork load because that was what caused the lag before.
Since CustomBrowse menus load artwork through a different path than the "normal" albums menus it might be that they don't automatically trigger the first download when no album art has been loaded, yet, I have to check that. Does it help if you go to any of the "native" menus and back to the Custom Browse menu?

It may have been what helped the first time. The trouble is I have the standard menus removed so it's not easy to force the issue. And the couple of times it has crashed I've lost the artwork again.

pippin
2013-12-20, 02:38
Yea, I'll look into it.

local.bin
2013-12-20, 02:58

Oh I thought you had the purchase details of people using iOS.

I must follow you on twitter or sign up to your news on your site then I guess.

To all the +1er's glad you got the update.

Keep up the good work on the app.

michel
2013-12-20, 03:01
As a long term user of iPeng for iPad (and occasionally on iPhone) I was used to occasional crashes on my iPad 2 handling a large collection.
Unfortunately the crashes with iPeng 7 are as frequently as they were before.
Most annoying thing is that iPeng frequently updates it's database without any changes on LMS (and without prior crashing). (BTW while updating album covers flicker in Album view).
Is there anything I could do on my side to make things better?

pippin
2013-12-20, 05:43
Oh I thought you had the purchase details of people using iOS.

Oh no. Only Apple has that. I don't even have detailed transaction data or the like.

It's a common misconception. Some people ask questions in App Reviews on the App Store not knowing that the developers have no chance to contact them to reply.

I must follow you on twitter or sign up to your news on your site then I guess.

Signing up for news on the site won't help either. It's WordPress and WordPress gets waaaay too much spam registrations to be usable as a resource, these registrations are only there to be able to block spam.

Twitter is a good information source, facebook or this forum usually are the best ones.
I do pre-announcements (before release) only here because anything else would have a kind of official character and you can't really tell anything official unless Apple has approved your App since you never know...

For anything officially out in the wild, facebook is the first resource that gets updated.

As a long term user of iPeng for iPad (and occasionally on iPhone) I was used to occasional crashes on my iPad 2 handling a large collection.

Especially under iOS 7, do you have _any_ App that doesn't crash occasionally? Since they use the new processor I even got used to occasional and spontaneous device reboots. And no, even though blogs write about "Apps not being adapted to 64-bit" I'm pretty sure that's not the problem at hand, I'm pretty sure the 64bit runtime isn't completely stable, yet.

And the number of bugs I filed on iOS 7....

Most annoying thing is that iPeng frequently updates it's database without any changes on LMS (and without prior crashing).

You mean it does that while running? Spontaneously? Without you switching the server?
Are you positively sure the server doesn't hang in some kind of scanning loop?

(BTW while updating album covers flicker in Album view).
Is there anything I could do on my side to make things better?

This sounds like the albums list never got completely loaded (actually the "re-load" issue looks like that as well). Does the progress bar for library sync ever go away?

The flickering is because I now always load artwork in the background when it could take too long. The alternative of always enforcing the loading was what caused the very poor scrolling performance on some devices with 7.0.
Generally, scheduling is a bit worse under iOS 7, probably because all the default UI handling consumes so much processing power (it helps a bit to set "Settings->General->Accessibility->Increase Contrast" to ON), iOS 7's UI is really a resource hog, especially all of the blurring bars.
So what can happen when you scroll a lot (if you keep scrolling permanently for more than 30s, I believe) is that iPeng can lose the connection to the server and then has to re-establish it. This was an issue with iOS 6, too, but it got worse in iOS 7.
But this should only reload a single page of data from the server, not the whole library.

michel
2013-12-20, 06:01
You mean it does that while running? Spontaneously? Without you switching the server?
Are you positively sure the server doesn't hang in some kind of scanning loop?

This sounds like the albums list never got completely loaded (actually the "re-load" issue looks like that as well). Does the progress bar for library sync ever go away?

The flickering is because I now always load artwork in the background when it could take too long. The alternative of always enforcing the loading was what caused the very poor scrolling performance on some devices with 7.0.
Generally, scheduling is a bit worse under iOS 7, probably because all the default UI handling consumes so much processing power (it helps a bit to set "Settings->General->Accessibility->Increase Contrast" to ON), iOS 7's UI is really a resource hog, especially all of the blurring bars.
So what can happen when you scroll a lot (if you keep scrolling permanently for more than 30s, I believe) is that iPeng can lose the connection to the server and then has to re-establish it. This was an issue with iOS 6, too, but it got worse in iOS 7.
But this should only reload a single page of data from the server, not the whole library.

LMS definitely has finished scanning without a reporting problems.
I am using latest nightly of 7.8 on Win 7.
The progress bar goes away after around 2 minutes and yes library scanning starts randomly while in use or after waking up iPad from sleep.
Had the same behavior under iOS 6x and LMS 7.7 .

Enoch Soames
2013-12-20, 09:56
Hi, Pippin - I very much like iPeng 7; clean look, improved functionality, definitely worth the money. I'm having a problem, though: I prefer to hit 'play' to play only a single selected track rather than get the whole album loaded into the playlist. I checked the 'help' section for info on how to change playback mode, and it tells me to turn on the 'Play Single Tracks' toggle under 'General Settings.' I don't find a 'Play Single Tracks' option in 'General Settings,' though. Sow do I configure iPeng 7 to play just one track? Thanks in advance for the help.

pippin
2013-12-20, 12:11
Oh, iPeng now respects the server-side setting for this.
The old option was actually there because in the old days of SqueezeCenter 7.3, playing single tracks was the default setting but it really wasn't what most people wanted so iPeng ignored the setting.
Now, I believe since 7.4, the default has changed to "play other tracks in album" so people who still enable the setting to play single tracks probably mean it so iPeng simply adheres to the setting.
It's a change I already made, well, years ago....

You find the server-side setting in the web interface under "Settings->Player Settings->Basic Settings->Play other tracks in album".

Enoch Soames
2013-12-20, 12:20
That took care of it, Pippin. Thanks for the quick response!

Thg6276
2013-12-20, 15:42
Pippin, could you have a look on the picture please, because on this screen artworks are always missing.
Do not understand why ?
All covers are included in flac files.

pippin
2013-12-20, 15:48
Pleas try to fully restart (not delete! Just restart) the App.
If it stays that way: which server version do you use?

CharlieG
2013-12-20, 16:03
Pippin, could you have a look on the picture please, because on this screen artworks are always missing.
Do not understand why ?

Pleas try to fully restart (not delete! Just restart) the App.
If it stays that way: which server version do you use?

Pippin
I have the same issue. I think it started with the latest update.
I'm running 7.7.2.
It happens at all lower level album views. The artwork is present at higher level views (if I select artist Tracy Chapman I see the album art for all albums. If I tap one of the albums I don't see the album art). I'm pretty sure? this worked before the update.
I flushed cache, didn't help, restarted the app, also didn't help.

pippin
2013-12-20, 16:19
I believe this happens if the artwork is present when the related albums view is displayed but gets purged from the memory cache before the lower level album menu gets loaded.
It's especially problematic if the artwork loader queue is stuck or very busy in which case it can time out and never really show up.
This is why flushing the cache is very wrong (because then all artwork gets purged even from the flash cache and will take even longer to recreate) and why I recommended restarting the App (which makes sure there's no artwork being loaded).

It probably happens more often in the latest update because iPeng 7.0.1 loads artwork primarily in the background to speed up scrolling. It's usually especially bad if artwork still needs to be created on the server side or at least loaded from the server because that will keep the artwork queue more busy.

I'll see whether I can do some better optimizations in the next release but it's generally a tricky tradeoff between performance, server load generation and assured artwork access.
The problem is, the only way to guarantee artwork availability without any cost is to use the 50x50 images the server will always have available but they are, well, about the size of iPeng's power button on a retina screen. Not really worthwhile.

pippin
2013-12-20, 16:27
Artwork and performance is hard. There are some common recommendations on how you can really improve artwork access speed on iOS but they are not really applicable here because iPeng is handling waaay to much artwork. I figured doing memory mapped disc caching (the most performant recommendation) would block some 1GB of flash for an average library with 3,000 albums. Go figure what that means for a 10,000 album library. Right: it won't work at all, at least on a 32 bit device...
So this doesn't work.

Newer iPads can easily hold a few hundred albums in memory (the typical size of in-memory cache use I'm seeing on my new iPad mini is around 300MB; the cache size is managed by the OS) but that's only true if no other Apps consume a lot of memory in the background and even these can get purged quickly if you scroll a lot.
And loading even an artwork that is cached on the device is something that can be too slow to fill a screenful of images (16-40) in time for fast scrolling so any optimization available is desperately needed.

CharlieG
2013-12-20, 19:12
This is why flushing the cache is very wrong (because then all artwork gets purged even from the flash cache and will take even longer to recreate) and why I recommended restarting the App.

Thought I would give you an update: I left the house for a while and when I got back it was working fine. Forgot to say earlier I am using an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air. iPeng is working fine on both now.

Thg6276
2013-12-21, 00:39
I'm running with 7.7.2 on a Synology.
I have restarted the app and it seems ok now.
At the top it was mentionned : Synchronizing Cache
Thanks

Mnyb
2013-12-21, 00:56
Do not understand why ?

I see that to ( reported earlier ) on every album

Webkemmi
2013-12-21, 11:55
As a great fan of iPeng, I must say that I prefer iPeng HD due to a much better graphic performance on my iPad mini first gen. Even on my iPad Air, the older version runs more powerful with less artwork problems. I also have the problem with missing artwork and sometimes, the list is completely empty when choosing Artists - All Albums. Additionally It seems as if iPeng 7 reloads artwork more often. After creating the cached artwork, I can browse my albums with all covers but after restarting iPeng, it shows placeholder covers first before reloading the cover art. I am using LMS 7.8 latest nightly running on an Intel core i3 (ivy bridge) and Windows Server 2012 R2 essentials with 8 GB RAM. LMS has been set to higher CPU priority and optimized for more than 1 GB RAM. The system is connected via Gigabit LAN interface to the latest Asus RT-AC68U AC WLAN Router. The music library is stored on a 500 GB SSD.
As I said, iPeng HD runs perfectly on my iPad mini first gen and even on my older iPad 2.

pippin
2013-12-21, 13:14
Well, as I said before, it's fundamentally a combination of a worse scheduling behavior under the iOS 7 runtime, additional processing requirements for the blur effects and the additional row of icons being displayed if you expand the view.

With scheduling being the biggest issue. Even the iOS 6 runtime running under iOS 7 performs much better.

As far as I can see, scrolling and artwork loading (either over the network or from the disc cache) get into the way of each other. I suspect that the UI (scrolling) isn't prioritized as highly as under iOS 6 but that's just a guess.
But what I see is that if I run the same artwork handling I used in iPeng HD under the iOS 7 runtime, the artwork loads fast but often renders too slowly so the scrolling can stutter or even hang, it's really unresponsive.
The was how the 7.0 behaved.
I fixed it by moving more of the artwork handling in the background (even with that, scrolling is _still_ sometimes not as smooth on the new devices unless you turn off system blur by using the "increase contrast" setting). But that means that anything else that happens in iPeng can get in the way of artwork loading so any artwork not already in RAM will show more slowly.
I'll try to tweak it a bit more for the next update but I don't believe I will be fully able to solve it unless Apple changes something in the scheduling. I have to give the 7.1 betas a try here.

mps
2013-12-21, 19:51
http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15357&d=1386425383 http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15368&d=1386524949
Hi Pippin,
Ipeng 7 is awesome. How do you get it to display those cool artist images?

Thanks,

Mike

pippin
2013-12-21, 21:40
Just install the "Music & Artist Information" plugin. You can do that in the server's web interface under "Settings->Plugins". You might have to enable "3rd Party Plugins" on that page.

pipo1000
2013-12-22, 05:08
I just upgraded from iPeng HD to iPeng 7 on my iPad Air. It looks much cleaner, I never did much care for the look of the HD version, especially the photo's during startup. I am glad they are gone. However even on my iPad AIR the app is not running smoothly. It stutters all over. The HD version (on Ios7) is much smoother and the stutters take away from the otherwise cleaner user experience. It is not only the artwork, as the simple text based lists are not smooth as well. Hopefully you can fix these small issues.

Also; I was a bit annoyed to find out about the existence of iPeng 7 because of the update of iPeng HD mentioning it, and then to find out I missed the introduction discount by one or two days. You really should over think these kind of actions and how your customers will perceive it. It is not just about the 3 or so euro's.

Kind regards,

Edwin

pippin
2013-12-22, 06:39
It is not only the artwork, as the simple text based lists are not smooth as well. Hopefully you can fix these small issues.

Well, see above. It's hard.
The text lists are something I can fix if I do away with the semi-transparent section headers (or you can do away with it by turning on "Settings->General->Accessibility->Increase contrast" which doesn't increase contrast at all, quite to the contrary, but turns off system blur). I'll probably do that in the next version.

Also; I was a bit annoyed to find out about the existence of iPeng 7 because of the update of iPeng HD mentioning it, and then to find out I missed the introduction discount by one or two days. You really should over think these kind of actions and how your customers will perceive it. It is not just about the 3 or so euro's.

Well, one of the ideas behind _these_ kind of promotions is that I want people to follow iPeng. Either be regularly coming to this forum (where you could have learned about iPeng 7 even a week before the promotion even started) or by following the facebook page.
The reason I want this is that this helps me as well. One problem with Apps is that you have not regular way to contact your users. Even the popup you saw in the App now can theoretically only show up a month from now or so for the first time. The App store gives you no way short of push notifications to contact customers.
And that's a problem not only for new App announcements but even more so in case of issues like incompatibilities with upgrades of any kind and the like.
So I really want to motivate people to stay in contact, that's the main reason for the initial promotion, I don't otherwise like promotions at all because, as you say, they will always make some people feel bad.

guptaas
2013-12-22, 06:42
Thanks for the revised app.

I have been using Squeezebox Server 7.5.4 for a very long time and have been reluctant to add any plugins or upgrade because past attempts messed up a very reliable setup. I am ready to tinker around again. What would be the best server version to install and which plugins significantly improve the iPeng experience? The same files and playlists are also utilized by Subsonic to stream outside the local network.

My FLAC's are tagged with multiple values in Artist, Composer, Genre, mood & occasion fields. The rating field is used along with a custom Album Rating field. Lyrics are slowly building up in the tags via Mediamonkey. Images are only saved as Folder.jpg and not embedded, about 1400 pixel wide, compressed to about 300kb (for PC). At present neither iIPeng nor Subsonic are able to utilize all the tags. My solution for now has been to auto-generate playlists using Mediamonkey.

This setup works quite well. It really is a case of fixing something that is not broken. Help me fix it anyway ;-)

mps
2013-12-22, 11:05
Just install the "Music & Artist Information" plugin. You can do that in the server's web interface under "Settings->Plugins". You might have to enable "3rd Party Plugins" on that page.
Got it, thanks! Unfortunately, I use all CustomBrowse menus, so IIUC, I will need to upgrade to LMS 7.8 according to forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?49483-Announce-New-versions-of-erlands-plugins/page132.

Thanks,

Mike

mps
2013-12-22, 13:19
Got it, thanks! Unfortunately, I use all CustomBrowse menus, so IIUC, I will need to upgrade to LMS 7.8 according to forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?49483-Announce-New-versions-of-erlands-plugins/page132.

Thanks,

Mike
This is weird. I upgraded to 7.8 to get artist images with CustomBrowse. As in the attached screenshots below, in the regular iPeng 7 Artists menu, it shows a correct image for Jimi Hendrix but not in CustomBrowse menu. This seems to have something to do with iPeng7, because the CustomBrowse menu does give the correct Hendrix image in the web interface. I haven't noticed any other affected artists. Weird! What do you think?

Thanks,

Mike

paulster
2013-12-22, 13:25
With the new artwork logic, Custom Browse is having a real problem displaying artwork. It's causing me all sorts of problems at the moment.

mps
2013-12-22, 13:57
With the new artwork logic, Custom Browse is having a real problem displaying artwork. It's causing me all sorts of problems at the moment.
Hmmm, if it's a Custom Browse problem, I'm not sure why it would only occur in both iPeng 7 and iPeng HD but not in Squeezeplay or the web interface. Should I crosspost to the Erland's plugin thread?

Thanks,

Mike

paulster
2013-12-22, 14:09
Hmmm, if it's a Custom Browse problem, I'm not sure why it would only occur in both iPeng 7 and iPeng HD but not in Squeezeplay or the web interface. Should I crosspost to the Erland's plugin thread?

No, it's not Custom Browse itself. My response wasn't very clear. It's the new artwork handling logic in iPeng and how it interacts with Custom Browse. Pippin made a change between 7.0 and 7.0.1 to increase the efficiency of the artwork handling but it has negatively impacted Custom Browse. I use only Custom Browse menus since I use MultiLibrary and don't want the standard Artists, Albums, etc. menus, so I keep ending up with no artwork whatsoever.

pippin
2013-12-22, 14:28
H, actually I don't know exactly how CustomBrowse handles artwork.
I do use a number of album-based CustomBrowse menus and they worked fine for me and I briefly tested "Artists" and that's OK for me, too.
But what I don't know is how the artwork is actually represented in the artists menus in CB (I know it for albums). If this is just a URL like /12345.jpg and that is ambiguous it might cause problems.
Another issue could be if CB doesn't learn about cache purging or things like that.

Erland will probably have to step in here.

But I don't think it's a general problem. I just tested artists with CB and I don't see any wrong images here so I really believe it's rather a caching thing.
There's one thing I might look into... iPeng doesn't purge all caches when you flush the cache, only the server specific ones. This is because internet-URL usually stay the same so it only deletes URL based items on a recurring bassi to free up space.
If the URL representation of artist artwork in CB is not server-specific yet changes frequently then this could be a problem.
Actually if Last.fm changes and reuses artist image URLs frequently this could also become an issue with iPeng and LMS 7.7.

mps
2013-12-22, 15:04
H, actually I don't know exactly how CustomBrowse handles artwork.
I do use a number of album-based CustomBrowse menus and they worked fine for me and I briefly tested "Artists" and that's OK for me, too.
But what I don't know is how the artwork is actually represented in the artists menus in CB (I know it for albums). If this is just a URL like /12345.jpg and that is ambiguous it might cause problems.
Another issue could be if CB doesn't learn about cache purging or things like that.

Erland will probably have to step in here.

But I don't think it's a general problem. I just tested artists with CB and I don't see any wrong images here so I really believe it's rather a caching thing.
There's one thing I might look into... iPeng doesn't purge all caches when you flush the cache, only the server specific ones. This is because internet-URL usually stay the same so it only deletes URL based items on a recurring bassi to free up space.
If the URL representation of artist artwork in CB is not server-specific yet changes frequently then this could be a problem.
Actually if Last.fm changes and reuses artist image URLs frequently this could also become an issue with iPeng and LMS 7.7.
Hi Pippin,
Almost all artists show correctly (I've only noticed Hendrix being wrong), so I guess it's not surprising that you didn't run into it. As you suspected, Flushing the cache does not have any effect. Is there any way for me to completely flush the cache to check if it is a stale image? Better yet, is there any way for me to see what URL iPeng thinks it is using? (The correct image is indeed from Last.FM)

Thanks,

Mike

mps
2013-12-22, 20:28
Hi Pippin,
Almost all artists show correctly (I've only noticed Hendrix being wrong), so I guess it's not surprising that you didn't run into it. As you suspected, Flushing the cache does not have any effect. Is there any way for me to completely flush the cache to check if it is a stale image? Better yet, is there any way for me to see what URL iPeng thinks it is using? (The correct image is indeed from Last.FM)

Thanks,

Mike

Hmmm, I just installed iPeng 7 on my iPhone, and it has the same problem even though the install was brand new, so I'm guessing it's not a cache issue.

Here's the (somewhat surprising) summary of where I'm seeing the problem.

Works: iPeng (iPhone), Squeezeplay (PC), Web Interface
Doesn't work: iPeng 7 (both iPhone and iPad), iPeng HD (iPad)

In all of the "Doesn't work" cases, it shows the same incorrect Jimi Hendrix artist image.

Mike

pippin
2013-12-23, 03:20
Do you only see this with Jimi Hendrix? I tried it and Jimi Hendrix works fine for me in all artists views although I get a different image from the one you have.
This is the stock CB Artists menu?

pippin
2013-12-23, 03:51
No, it's not Custom Browse itself. My response wasn't very clear. It's the new artwork handling logic in iPeng and how it interacts with Custom Browse. Pippin made a change between 7.0 and 7.0.1 to increase the efficiency of the artwork handling but it has negatively impacted Custom Browse. I use only Custom Browse menus since I use MultiLibrary and don't want the standard Artists, Albums, etc. menus, so I keep ending up with no artwork whatsoever.

That's not due to the change in artwork handling, I don't believe this would have been different in 7.0.
Actually it's not even a change from the old iPeng. The change is that now you can hide the main "Albums" menu. Without it, the old iPeng would not have loaded _any_ artwork thumbnails, ever.

I believe as a workaround until I've fixed that you should be able to start artwork loading by opening the current playlist at least once.

pippin
2013-12-23, 04:15
Hmmm, I just installed iPeng 7 on my iPhone, and it has the same problem even though the install was brand new, so I'm guessing it's not a cache issue.

As long as it's an issue with Jimi Hendrix only I tend to believe it's somehow related to CB's caching or something specific to this case.

I looked at what CB delivers (at least with the default "Artists" menu) and it's the exact same relative URL MAI delivers for iPeng's native "Artists" menu.

If you had plenty of time, you could set "network.cometd" logging on your server to "debug" and load the CB Artsist menu. Make sure to immediately turn the setting off after the menu loaded (just the menu, don't wait for the artwork) since it's very verbose.
Then look for the entry for Jimi Hendrix.
It should look somewhat like this:

{
actions => {
more => {
cmd => ["contextmenu"],
itemParams => "params",
params => { artist_id => 35_746, isContextMenu => 1, menu => "artist" },
},
},
icon => "imageproxy/mai/artist/35746/image.png",
params => { artist => 35_746, hierarchy => "artists,artist", textkey => "J" },
text => "Jimi Hendrix",
textkey => "J",
type => "artist",
window => {
titleStyle => "album",
},
},

Actually, it should look EXACTLY like this except for the numbers.

mps
2013-12-23, 10:58
Hi Pippin,
See below:

As long as it's an issue with Jimi Hendrix only I tend to believe it's somehow related to CB's caching or something specific to this case.

I looked at what CB delivers (at least with the default "Artists" menu) and it's the exact same relative URL MAI delivers for iPeng's native "Artists" menu.

If you had plenty of time, you could set "network.cometd" logging on your server to "debug" and load the CB Artsist menu. Make sure to immediately turn the setting off after the menu loaded (just the menu, don't wait for the artwork) since it's very verbose.
Then look for the entry for Jimi Hendrix.
It should look somewhat like this:

{
actions => {
more => {
cmd => ["contextmenu"],
itemParams => "params",
params => { artist_id => 35_746, isContextMenu => 1, menu => "artist" },
},
},
params => { artist => 35_746, hierarchy => "artists,artist", textkey => "J" },
text => "Jimi Hendrix",
textkey => "J",
type => "artist",
window => {
titleStyle => "album",
},
},

Actually, it should look EXACTLY like this except for the numbers.
Hmmm, I get the correct URL (browsing to it on the server gives the correct image), but the wrong image shows up in the CustomBrowse menu:

{
actions => {
more => {
cmd => ["contextmenu"],
itemParams => "params",
params => { artist_id => 47_754, isContextMenu => 1, menu => "artist" },
},
},
icon => "imageproxy/mai/artist/47754/image.png",
params => {
artist => 47_754,
hierarchy => "group_Rock,multilibrary_rock_ml_artists,artist",
textkey => "H",
},
text => "Jimi Hendrix",
textkey => "H",
type => "artist",
window => {
icon => "imageproxy/mai/artist/47754/image.png",
titleStyle => "album",
},
},

Again, when I view imageproxy/mai/artist/47754/image.png, I get the correct image, not the image that is actually shown in the CustomBrowse menu. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

pippin
2013-12-23, 11:02
Gets more and more weird.
And it's only Jimi Hendrix? And always Jimi Hendrix.... Do you see the same image for another artist?

mps
2013-12-23, 11:16
And it's only Jimi Hendrix? And always Jimi Hendrix.... Do you see the same image for another artist?
Yep. AFAICT, all the other artists are correct and the problem is 100% repeatable. While it's hard to tell for certain, I don't think that image shows up for any other artist.

Please tell me you're playing a prank on me because you know Jimi Hendrix is my favorite artist :)

Mike

pippin
2013-12-23, 11:32
BTW: how many artists did you say you have?

mps
2013-12-23, 14:04
BTW: how many artists did you say you have?
Hi Pippin,
The regular Artists menu has 513 artists. The CustomBrowse Artists menu has 157 Artists.

Thanks,

Mike

dborod
2014-01-02, 13:37
Hi,

First of all, I'm quite please with the re-design of the iOS app and don't mind paying for it again.

I would really like to be able to see album art thumbnails in the playlist view. I can see that there isn't a lot of horizontal space when holding the phone in portrait mode, but there would be lots of room in landscape mode, except that the app switches to a different mode (which I never use). Anyhow, I would really like to be able to see the albums when viewing and editing playlists.

Confused
2014-01-02, 14:23
I normally use iPeng in portrait mode and sync players using MultiPlayer Control on iPhone 5 with iOS7. This works flawlessly in the "old" version (2.0.16) but on 7.0.1 the edit button is not visible in portrait mode. As a workaround, I exit out of Multiplayer control, turn the phone to landscape, reopen multiplayer in portrait mode and voila, the edit button appears and I can eventually sync!

I guess this might be happening because I have Bold text set to ON in the iPhone accessibility settings? It does not appear that iPeng 7 supports Dynamic Type so I cannot adjust the virtual font size. In comparison with other apps, iPeng 7 seems to have a large screen title font?

Also I am wondering why the Home button has been replaced by Back? In some situations this is annoying, particularly when transiting back from a sub>sub menu to the main items.

Confused
2014-01-02, 14:36
Sorry I just realized that my comments about the Home button in my previous message are not pertinent, because the original version exhibits the same behavior (except the Home button reverts to a back button in the sub menus). I think the Home button is just psychologically useful for navigation, because it inspires confidence that main menu is one step back!

pippin
2014-01-02, 15:22
I would really like to be able to see album art thumbnails in the playlist view. I can see that there isn't a lot of horizontal space when holding the phone in portrait mode, but there would be lots of room in landscape mode, except that the app switches to a different mode (which I never use). Anyhow, I would really like to be able to see the albums when viewing and editing playlists.

I doubt that :)
One of the problems with the artwork is that you'd need a taller cell to show the artwork, too. And this means, in Landscape mode you'd have space for only four rows. It's hard to see something useful there and it's impossible to move cells, I'm pretty sure in landscape mode the artwork would hurt even more than in portrait.

The playlist menu just doesn't work in landscape, that's why it isn't showing, the screen properties are not made for it.

I normally use iPeng in portrait mode and sync players using MultiPlayer Control on iPhone 5 with iOS7. This works flawlessly in the "old" version (2.0.16) but on 7.0.1 the edit button is not visible in portrait mode. As a workaround, I exit out of Multiplayer control, turn the phone to landscape, reopen multiplayer in portrait mode and voila, the edit button appears and I can eventually sync!

Are you sure you haven't enabled the party mode? Although the "Edit" button should never show if you do.
I have tried all type settings and the "edit" button never goes away for me so I doubt that's it.
On iPhone 4 there is a bug in the current version that can distort the MultiPlayer screen on the very first start, it helps to kill the App through the control center and restart it. Could it be that you somehow see a similar effect on iPhone 5? Should only happen on the first start, though.
If restarting doesn't help, could you send me a screen shot?

I guess this might be happening because I have Bold text set to ON in the iPhone accessibility settings? It does not appear that iPeng 7 supports Dynamic Type so I cannot adjust the virtual font size. In comparison with other apps, iPeng 7 seems to have a large screen title font?

Yes. Dynamic type is a good idea if you have a lot of text to show but whenever you have a more complex screen layout where you need to exactly position control elements it just doesn't work. It's also another performance killer and performance of the iOS 7 runtime is already pretty dismal.
I plan to use it in the main menus at a later state but currently not.

Also I am wondering why the Home button has been replaced by Back? In some situations this is annoying, particularly when transiting back from a sub>sub menu to the main items.

Sorry I just realized that my comments about the Home button in my previous message are not pertinent, because the original version exhibits the same behavior (except the Home button reverts to a back button in the sub menus). I think the Home button is just psychologically useful for navigation, because it inspires confidence that main menu is one step back!

I don't really understand the point of the sub-sub menus, do you mean when you open a context menu from NowPlaying?

Apart from that: the home button got replaced by "back" for several reasons

The home button just looked too ugly under iOS 7
The button actually _is_ a "back" button. Which means that
This indicates that the "back" system gesture iOS 7 defines also works (swipe from the left screen edge) which means you don't have to use the button at all. It works pretty well even with the sliding subscreens on NowPlaying

Confused
2014-01-02, 17:01
[QUOTE=pippin;766600]
Are you sure you haven't enabled the party mode? Although the "Edit" button should never show if you do.
I have tried all type settings and the "edit" button never goes away for me so I doubt that's it.
On iPhone 4 there is a bug in the current version that can distort the MultiPlayer screen on the very first start, it helps to kill the App through the control center and restart it. Could it be that you somehow see a similar effect on iPhone 5? Should only happen on the first start, though.
If restarting doesn't help, could you send me a screen shot?

I am definitely not in party mode.

This seems to be similar to the iPhone 4 bug, but is entirely reproducible -it happens every time I kill the app and then reopen it, not just on the very first start

Here follows the "before" shot taken upon restart...

and the "after" shot following a cycle through landscape mode....

pippin
2014-01-02, 17:12
Yes, I am now able to reproduce it, too. You don't have to go through party mode, though, just closing and re-opening the MultiPlayer screen does the trick, too, it only happens the first time you open it after a cold start.

sprint
2014-01-04, 05:59
Have just installed the OS 7 version on my ipad air.

It is the first ipeng that I have used so no previous experience other than the Logitech free app.

Very disappointed and frustrated to find that Album's are only displayed in alphabetical album title order only with no option to select Artist, Year, Album as the Logitech version and also as I believe the Squeezepad app?

Have I missed a setting somewhere or is this an omission in the OS 7 version?

I like to select by viewing the album cover but trying to remember album titles rather than bands is a lot more difficult?

If it is an omission can it be included as a user option like the original Logitech app?

gocubs42
2014-01-04, 07:17
Mog appeared on the left side of my Ipeng home page on the previous Ipeng application. When I moved over to IPeng 7 I can't find a way to have Mog on the left hand side. Yes I can go into my apps and find Mog but I would like it on the left. I tried drag and drop to no avail...thanks

pippin
2014-01-04, 08:07
You have to open the "Edit" menu (at the top of the main menu), then drag&drop will do the trick.

pippin
2014-01-04, 08:11
Have I missed a setting somewhere or is this an omission in the OS 7 version?

Old to insistence on how Apple organizes music menus :) it's under "Artists->All Albums". So you can have both Alternatives instead of having to configure which view you want.

It's fully cached and should be as fast as the one in the main menu but the current version has a bug where artwork only works correctly in submenus if you once open the main "Albums" menus first. Will be fixed in the next release.

gocubs42
2014-01-04, 11:12
You have to open the "Edit" menu (at the top of the main menu), then drag&drop will do the trick.

Thanks that did the trick...really nice IPENG 7 Now if there was a way for IPENG 7 to stay open on an IPAD when going to another application and back to IPENG 7.

sprint
2014-01-05, 06:19
Old to insistence on how Apple organizes music menus :) it's under "Artists->All Albums". So you can have both Alternatives instead of having to configure which view you want.

It's fully cached and should be as fast as the one in the main menu but the current version has a bug where artwork only works correctly in submenus if you once open the main "Albums" menus first. Will be fixed in the next release.

Thanks for the reply.

With 'Artists' selected they are as expected displayed alphabetically but there is no album artwork? Are you indicating that there is currently a bug which is stopping the album artwork being displayed which you will be fixing with the next release?

I also have a problem when I expand the 'Album' page in landscape mode, it continues to now only display two albums side by side whereas it used to display three albums?

pippin
2014-01-05, 06:52
Thanks that did the trick...really nice IPENG 7 Now if there was a way for IPENG 7 to stay open on an IPAD when going to another application and back to IPENG 7.
You mean to keep it active while it's in the background? Yes, I'll try to add this, as mentioned above, however, it's pretty much at Apple's discretion, technically, this is a pretty forbidden feature.

If you talk about the App being inactive in the background but not getting killed completely, this depends on how much memory that other App you use in between consumes. If it's a lot, background Apps get killed.
iPeng, on the iPad, keeps around some 12MB of memory (depends a bit on your library size) which is not particularly small so iT#s pretty likely to get killed early, the problem is if I free up more memory it considerably slows down the startup when you return to the App making it a bit moot, after all, iPeng would then pretty much have the same startup time as if it got completely killed so it's easier to risk it getting killed.

With 'Artists' selected they are as expected displayed alphabetically but there is no album artwork? Are you indicating that there is currently a bug which is stopping the album artwork being displayed which you will be fixing with the next release?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.
You can "prevent" the bug right now if you open "Albums" before you open "Artists->All Albums" whenever you start the App (only a full start, not when returning to the App).

I also have a problem when I expand the 'Album' page in landscape mode, it continues to now only display two albums side by side whereas it used to display three albums?
Then you probably have scaled up the album size to something that only supports two covers. Just scale them down a bit until the third column appears. You are also aware you can expand the view, aren't you? Have a look at the App Store images.

sprint
2014-01-05, 07:20
Then you probably have scaled up the album size to something that only supports two covers. Just scale them down a bit until the third column appears. You are also aware you can expand the view, aren't you? Have a look at the App Store images.

Thanks for the replies.

This is my first tablet and I am still learning how to use it.

Yes that is exactly what I have done. Pinching and holding the artwork does change the size, another feature I've learnt.

)p(
2014-01-05, 11:39
This has probably been asked before but I would love to see ipeng support playback of the local library including itunes match. iPeng's local playback works great and it would be perfect if I could switch between my squeezebox library and itunes library on the fly in the same interface. I could then also use iPeng not only at home but also on the road.

pippin
2014-01-05, 11:58
This has probably been asked before but I would love to see ipeng support playback of the local library including itunes match. iPeng's local playback works great and it would be perfect if I could switch between my squeezebox library and itunes library on the fly in the same interface. I could then also use iPeng not only at home but also on the road.

You mean to play both libraries through iPeng?

iTunes match will not be possible, though, unless you download stuff to the device but local playback will come one day, I'm confident :) Not too soon, though :(

)p(
2014-01-06, 04:49
You mean to play both libraries through iPeng?

iTunes match will not be possible, though, unless you download stuff to the device but local playback will come one day, I'm confident :) Not too soon, though :(

I guess third party music players like Groove can support streaming the whole iTunes Match library because they actually use the standard ios player and are just a UI shell around it. Anyway yes even just the local downloaded library would be a cool addition to iPeng. Someday :)

pippin
2014-01-06, 04:54
I guess third party music players like Groove can support streaming the whole iTunes Match library because they actually use the standard ios player and are just a UI shell around it. Anyway yes even just the local downloaded library would be a cool addition to iPeng. Someday :)

No, even Groove can't fully play iTunes Match.
It's more complicated: iTunes Match has _two_ ways how you can handle music, you can either _download_ it to the device (from iTunes Match) or you can _play_ it straight away, then it will essentially be streamed through a buffer but not stored on the device. The former happens if you hit the cloud-download icon, the latter if you just play.
If a track was downloaded, Apps can play it, but they can't access tracks in iTunes Match itself, even if you have just played them.

It's one of these cases where Apple does really complicated things users will IMHO rarely understand, especially since the logic is pretty much hidden in the UI.

Mnyb
2014-01-06, 04:55
Heh just exploring the new features of resizing artwork with pinch and also pinning the playlist :)

)p(
2014-01-06, 10:12
No, even Groove can't fully play iTunes Match.
It's more complicated: iTunes Match has _two_ ways how you can handle music, you can either _download_ it to the device (from iTunes Match) or you can _play_ it straight away, then it will essentially be streamed through a buffer but not stored on the device. The former happens if you hit the cloud-download icon, the latter if you just play.
If a track was downloaded, Apps can play it, but they can't access tracks in iTunes Match itself, even if you have just played them.

It's one of these cases where Apple does really complicated things users will IMHO rarely understand, especially since the logic is pretty much hidden in the UI.

Lol I am not sure I understand how it works either ;)
As a user the only thing I see in Groove is that I can browse and play my full iTunes Match library even without having them played before in the ios default music app.

pippin
2014-01-06, 13:59
Oh, yes, you are right. Apps can make Apple's music player play tracks from iTunes Match. But they can't make it download them.

pippin
2014-01-06, 14:00
Heh just exploring the new features of resizing artwork with pinch

Hm, how do I tell you... That has been around since iPeng for iPad 1.0. And iPeng for iPhone 2.0 :)

Mnyb
2014-01-06, 14:20
Hm, how do I tell you... That has been around since iPeng for iPad 1.0. And iPeng for iPhone 2.0 :)

:P

The new design sort of makes it more obvious to explore, duno of the gesture "detection" got better you sort of stumble upon it nowadays .

How long have you been able to collapse the leftside menu ?

It is a bit non obvius i do like UI's where stuff are hinted with icons like a > or something then you get it directly .

Btw can we have all letters or numbers on the rigth not letters spaced with dots "a*c*d*f*h" ?? or even worse number with dots in-between bleuh ?

pippin
2014-01-06, 14:31
The new design sort of makes it more obvious to explore, duno of the gesture "detection" got better you sort of stumble upon it nowadays .

That's true.
Actually one of the "new" features I advertise in iPeng 7, being able to swipe back and forth to go back and to go to NowPlaying on iPhone isn't all new, too, it just didn't really work well before iOS 7 (the edge swipe to get out of NowPlaying is new, though). iOS 7 does an outstanding job in allowing to stack ten different (or even similar) gesture recognizers onto each other.

I mean... On that NowPlaying screen, there's a sideways scrolling view and if you swipe from the edge of that very view you can use the "back" gesture instead and it all works without real conflicts. That's pretty impressive.

On the lock screen, Apple stacks no less than 4 scroll views into each other.

The details can still be tricky, though. iPeng 7 currently sometimes starts to catch the wrong gesture when you want to scroll vertically on iPhone. I nailed that one, though, will be fixed in the next update.
And then there are cases where they still seem to have legacy code in there that breaks it all, like the index bar.

How long have you been able to collapse the leftside menu ?

That's iPeng 7, indeed.

It is a bit non obvius i do like UI's where stuff are hinted with icons like a > or something then you get it directly .

Yes, but then these hints tend to clutter stuff a lot and then you don't _have_ to use it.
There's a hint if you use the pinned playlist and you set it to edit mode :)

Btw can we have all letters or numbers on the rigth not letters spaced with dots "a*c*d*f*h" ??

iPhone 4? No, unfortunately not. Unless you tell me which characters to permanently leave out. iOS adds the dots automatically when it believes the index is too long.

or even worse number with dots in-between bleuh ?
What should be there in place of the dots?
The dots are for the "uneven" 25-step indexes. If I start to write full three-digit numbers, the index bar needs to get three times as wide.

Mnyb
2014-01-06, 14:45
That's true.
Actually one of the "new" features I advertise in iPeng 7, being able to swipe back and forth to go back and to go to NowPlaying on iPhone isn't all new, too, it just didn't really work well before iOS 7 (the edge swipe to get out of NowPlaying is new, though). iOS 7 does an outstanding job in allowing to stack ten different (or even similar) gesture recognizers onto each other.

I mean... On that NowPlaying screen, there's a sideways scrolling view and if you swipe from the edge of that very view you can use the "back" gesture instead and it all works without real conflicts. That's pretty impressive.

On the lock screen, Apple stacks no less than 4 scroll views into each other.

The details can still be tricky, though. iPeng 7 currently sometimes starts to catch the wrong gesture when you want to scroll vertically on iPhone. I nailed that one, though, will be fixed in the next update.
And then there are cases where they still seem to have legacy code in there that breaks it all, like the index bar.

That's iPeng 7, indeed.

Yes, but then these hints tend to clutter stuff a lot and then you don't _have_ to use it.
There's a hint if you use the pinned playlist and you set it to edit mode :)

iPhone 4? No, unfortunately not. Unless you tell me which characters to permanently leave out. iOS adds the dots automatically when it believes the index is too long.

What should be there in place of the dots?
The dots are for the "uneven" 25-step indexes. If I start to write full three-digit numbers, the index bar needs to get three times as wide.

I'm talking ipad now , ok IOS adds this so 28 letters is to long a,b,c,d....... ?

pippin
2014-01-06, 14:53
I'm talking ipad now , ok IOS adds this so 28 letters is to long a,b,c,d....... ?

In landscape? Yes, obviously. If you count through it you'll notice it drops three characters from the list.

Argh. I start to really hate this index bar (I have more issues with it). Wonder whether I should write my own version of it....
I also hate the way iOS 7 compresses index bars with few items, makes it unnecessarily hard to hit the right character.

Mnyb
2014-01-06, 15:07
In landscape? Yes, obviously. If you count through it you'll notice it drops three characters from the list.

Argh. I start to really hate this index bar (I have more issues with it). Wonder whether I should write my own version of it....
I also hate the way iOS 7 compresses index bars with few items, makes it unnecessarily hard to hit the right character.

ok now i see porttrait A to Z no problem .

Landscape A*C*D dots after the first letter however i run the iPad in English so i manage to get Z ,if turn it over to swedish i will loose letters ?

Hmm wait a minute how do I browse an artist beginning with ÷ or ń for example ? I dont have any yet but would they just pile up belov letter Z ?

pippin
2014-01-06, 15:18
Hmm wait a minute how do I browse an artist beginning with ÷ or ń for example ? I dont have any yet but would they just pile up belov letter Z ?

As usual... it depends :) In this case, on your server settings I believe or the language the server is set to?
Anyway... They are supposed to be sorted under O and A and that's how it happens for me except when I use CustomBrowse where the German Umlaute (ń÷‹) get sorted among AOU but Scandinavian ones like Ň end up beyond "Z" at the end of the list. That would be the "Z" section, then.

Mnyb
2014-01-06, 15:24
As usual... it depends :) In this case, on your server settings I believe or the language the server is set to?
Anyway... They are supposed to be sorted under O and A and that's how it happens for me except when I use CustomBrowse where the German Umlaute (ń÷‹) get sorted among AOU but Scandinavian ones like Ň end up beyond "Z" at the end of the list. That would be the "Z" section, then.

A ok just like the server sorts then if you set it to Swedish you get ZŇń÷ .

Hammer
2014-01-12, 16:45
Hello, I love the new clean look of iPeng 7, but unfortunately, I too am suffering from album cover art not displaying. It shoulda like a real challenge optimizing the routines given the various combinations of hardware and library sizes people have. Perhaps an option for the user to select preference for performance vs. loading artwork would be an interim solution? Personally, I prefer to see the artwork and so I find myself using the old version more.

Thanks, hammer.

pippin
2014-01-12, 17:18
Hello, I love the new clean look of iPeng 7, but unfortunately, I too am suffering from album cover art not displaying. It shoulda like a real challenge optimizing the routines given the various combinations of hardware and library sizes people have. Perhaps an option for the user to select preference for performance vs. loading artwork would be an interim solution? Personally, I prefer to see the artwork and so I find myself using the old version more.

The "not displaying at all" issue has nothing to do with performance. It has to do with the "Albums" reference list not being loaded under certain circumstances. You will note that artwork from online sources still loads.
It will be fixed in the next update.
And as a workaround until then make sure the "Albums" menu is the first one you visit before opening other menus showing album art from the library, then all will be OK.

I've got an update that performs really well (at the cost of removing some of the blur effects on the main menu - not on NowPlaying), but I've promised a number of other features with that update as well, especially regarding accessibility that need to be finished before I can send it to the App Store.

Owen Smith
2014-01-12, 17:20
I've pretty much stopped updating any apps. Most are now doing a new iOS 7 styled UI, and in the process making the text too small for me to read. I've downgraded GoodReader to the previous version and avoided a couple of other upgrades having seen them on other people's iPads. I'm happy with how iPeng HD works so I can't see why I'd risk iPeng 7, though at least it's a new app and the old one is still there. Downgrading apps can be a painful process, since the only way is to delete them, re-install the old version and then re-enter all your configuration by hand. I just can't risk app upgrades any more, I don't have the time to do all the downgrades when I find the text is unreadably small.

What is it with iOS 7 apps and text so small only teenagers with perfect vision can read it? I dread to think what happens on iPad Mini, it's bad enough on a full sized iPad 3.

pippin
2014-01-12, 17:46
I've pretty much stopped updating any apps. Most are now doing a new iOS 7 styled UI, and in the process making the text too small for me to read.

I've noticed that, too.
Well, iPeng is making the text bigger :) Actually quite a lot bigger for some of the text. I believe nothing got smaller than in the previous versions of iPeng.
It does use lighter typefaces, too, though.

Have a look at the screen shots here
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2013/12/11/introducing-ipeng-7/
to compare.

What is it with iOS 7 apps and text so small only teenagers with perfect vision can read it? I dread to think what happens on iPad Mini, it's bad enough on a full sized iPad 3.
Yes, there's a number of design features on iOS 7 I'm pretty critical about, too.
I think the main driver is a "function-follows-form"-attitude with designers these days. A lot of users and designers are calling for "clean" and "uncluttered" designs and what that seems to mean to most of them is to place a lot of whitespace around control elements.

Now, is you still also want to display a little content along with all your cool whitespace the easiest way is to make the font smaller. You didn't do that on low-resolution screens because on a low-res screen a small font just renders ugly but now with these nice retina displays... And medium-light grey on white background looks just soo cool and uncluttered at small font sizes.... You can win design prices with that!

From what I hear from "real" users vs. developers in the iOS (or mobile in general, Android is pretty much the same and Windows Phone, after all, is what started it all) seems to be quite a disconnect between what designers and developers like and what users like.
Almost all devs and especially designers seem to love iOS 7's design (myself not being a exception). That is probably because as a developer you look at a lot of user interfaces, you learn about design principles and how the UI is supposed to work and things like that. So a lot of things are obvious to a developer which are actually not so obvious to actual users. The frameless buttons are a good example, they are confusing the hell out of a lot of users but hey, they really look cool.

One thing that also might play a role is that after 6 years of gradients and skeumorphism people working a lot with this probably could no longer stand the old design, at least that was the case for me.

frozzers
2014-01-13, 00:57
Hi

I'm a Mac user and I've been experimenting with different servers recently - specifically, setting up LMS on a Windows laptop and another on a Windows Parallels installation.

I don't need them both now and I've deleted LMS from both setups.

When I open iPeng 7, they're still showing in the MultiPlayer Control screen.

Is there any way of removing them?

Cheers

Chris

Mnyb
2014-01-13, 02:07
We where discussing ratings 5 or 10/half star both would work for me .

But whats really lacking (and why I not rate much ) is the ability to rate a whole album at the time .

I dont have the time or OCD to always have an opinion on each and every song :)

Owen Smith
2014-01-13, 02:17
We where discussing ratings 5 or 10/half star both would work for me .

But whats really lacking (and why I not rate much ) is the ability to rate a whole album at the time .

I dont have the time or OCD to always have an opinion on each and every song :)

I agree completely. I'd want to rate albums if I could find the time to do ratings at all.

Hammer
2014-01-13, 07:06
The "not displaying at all" issue has nothing to do with performance. It has to do with the "Albums" reference list not being loaded under certain circumstances. You will note that artwork from online sources still loads.
It will be fixed in the next update.
And as a workaround until then make sure the "Albums" menu is the first one you visit before opening other menus showing album art from the library, then all will be OK.

I've got an update that performs really well (at the cost of removing some of the blur effects on the main menu - not on NowPlaying), but I've promised a number of other features with that update as well, especially regarding accessibility that need to be finished before I can send it to the App Store.

Thanks...that did it, but some covers are still missing...looking forward to the new release.

I echo other comments about how great an app ipeng is...would gladly pay more if it helps to ensure the great support and also future development. It's really transformed how we listen to music! Thank you! One really neat thing to have is for ipeng to display the resolution of the file beyond the new FLAC indicator, but not sure if this is possible unless the info is already in a tag.

pippin
2014-01-13, 07:45
When I open iPeng 7, they're still showing in the MultiPlayer Control screen.

Is there any way of removing them?

Unless you configured them manually they should go away after the next restart of the App (in iPeng 7 after a few minutes, even without a restart)

If they stay around, you have probably enabled WOL for them, just disable it in the server settings.

frozzers
2014-01-13, 10:52
Unless you configured them manually they should go away after the next restart of the App (in iPeng 7 after a few minutes, even without a restart)

If they stay around, you have probably enabled WOL for them, just disable it in the server settings.

Yes I had WOL enabled so I disabled it and they've both now disappeared.

Many thanks.

Chris

pippin
2014-01-13, 11:12
Yes I had WOL enabled so I disabled it and they've both now disappeared.

iPeng can't automatically remove them if WOL is enabled since obviously WOL would no longer work, then, after all, a server with WOL support will often be sleeping when you start the App.

Justme
2014-01-13, 15:21
What interests me about the new version is how it works with Radio. I have the original iPeng on my iPad and this is not one of its strongest points.

Basically, we use our Boom mostly as a radio platform with each of the 6 presets set to a radio station. Is it possible to have these 6 presets easily available on the new iPeng front-end (i.e. not too deeply buried)?

Also, could I set additional favourites for other radio stations and have them all easily available?

garym
2014-01-13, 15:26
What interests me about the new version is how it works with Radio. I have the original iPeng on my iPad and this is not one of its strongest points.

Basically, we use our Boom mostly as a radio platform with each of the 6 presets set to a radio station. Is it possible to have these 6 presets easily available on the new iPeng front-end (i.e. not too deeply buried)?

Also, could I set additional favourites for other radio stations and have them all easily available?

I'm not sure I follow. Currently (and with old version), one could add as many radio stations as desired as FAVORITES, and favorites are easily accessible as a high level menu item within iPeng. You wouldn't go into RADIO. Rather you would go into FAVORITES and choose your radio station from the favorite for it stored there. EDIT: the presets are different from favorites. I use favorites to store all my radio favorites....

pippin
2014-01-13, 17:19
Aren't the presets also just showing in "Favorites"?
I believe all presets are stored as favorites.

Apart from that... iPeng 7 might get a presets UI in the future, not decided but there's a specific reason it might have to. It's not decided, yet, though.

Generally, the problem with having presets directly in the UI is that they clutter up the interface and make access for anything else more complicated while most people don't really use Apps for very simple tasks because using an App always has the overhead of unlocking the screen, starting the App, maybe selecting the player... Can take much longer than just tapping the button on the device, no matter how quickly accessible any preset button in the App would be.

Mnyb
2014-01-13, 17:39
Aren't the presets also just showing in "Favorites"?
I believe all presets are stored as favorites.

Apart from that... iPeng 7 might get a presets UI in the future, not decided but there's a specific reason it might have to. It's not decided, yet, though.

Generally, the problem with having presets directly in the UI is that they clutter up the interface and make access for anything else more complicated while most people don't really use Apps for very simple tasks because using an App always has the overhead of unlocking the screen, starting the App, maybe selecting the player... Can take much longer than just tapping the button on the device, no matter how quickly accessible any preset button in the App would be.

I'm not so sure of that favorites are globally server specific and is the same list on every player on your LMS server .
Presets are player specific and tied to the numbered buttons on a Radio , you can not see them in the web-UI but they are in the prefs.file .
You can ofcourse have a favorite as preset .
And yes both presets and favourite are also server specific you can have different ones on mysb.com and any of the LMS you run

In the old days favourites where tied to numbered buttons on the ir remote for SB3 .
But since the introduction of presets I don't know what you get on an SB3 , it's broken on Touch ( there is a workaround I think ).

I no longer reckon how a boom behaves with favourites vs presets if you use an SB3 or Touch remote ?

antispam246
2014-01-17, 03:34
Are there any in-app purchases which are non-transferable to ipeng 7.x? Do any of them have current issues (functioning)?

Also, if I purchase ipeng 7 on my ipad, do I have to again, purchase it on the iphone also?

Thanks, just found out about ipeng 7 but to be honest current ipeng version works flawlessly for me.

pippin
2014-01-17, 06:20
Well, iPeng only has one In App Purchase: Playback.
It can't be transferred using the App Store but iPeng does this itself, either on the same device or through iCloud, then you don't have to pay for it again.

And iPeng 7 is a universal App.

Scidd0w
2014-01-17, 08:42
pippin;
After using the first version happily for years ofcourse i bought iPeng7 too! Love the new look and finally I can put Triode's Spotify plugin as first menu option. ;)
Thank you bigtime!!

[update]
7.0.2 works great so far! :)

pippin
2014-01-21, 12:58
iPeng 7.0.2 finally reached the App Store.
The update

fixes some artwork issues, you no longer have to open "Albums" to make sure album artwork gets correctly loaded
greatly improves the scrolling performance. Some of the system blur effects (not the ones on the NowPlaying screen) are removed which helps a lot with performance, also, a bug killing scrolling performance with synced players on iPad is fixed in 7.0.2
has a better compatibility with VoiceOver. It's still not as good as the old iPeng versions here, especially on iPad, the more flexible UI makes this much kore difficult, but it's getting closer.
fixes a startup bug on iPhone 4 where the play

finally brings back the "Preserve Connection" setting some have missed in iPeng 7
features a new, extended URL calling scheme to integrate iPeng with other Apps, for example for whole house control Apps.
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/URLScheme
and finally: again, features a number of new icons.

Have fun!

Pascal Hibon
2014-01-21, 13:36
The update

fixes some artwork issues, you no longer have to open "Albums" to make sure album artwork gets correctly loaded
greatly improves the scrolling performance. Some of the system blur effects (not the ones on the NowPlaying screen) are removed which helps a lot with performance, also, a bug killing scrolling performance with synced players on iPad is fixed in 7.0.2
has a better compatibility with VoiceOver. It's still not as good as the old iPeng versions here, especially on iPad, the more flexible UI makes this much kore difficult, but it's getting closer.
fixes a startup bug on iPhone 4 where the play

finally brings back the "Preserve Connection" setting some have missed in iPeng 7
features a new, extended URL calling scheme to integrate iPeng with other Apps, for example for whole house control Apps.
https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/URLScheme
and finally: again, features a number of new icons.

Have fun!

Wauw, you have been very busy!

Just installed the update. First thing I notice is that there is a lot of album art flickering going on. Even images who are already on the screen rapidly flicker until all images are loaded.

pippin
2014-01-21, 13:42
It's not until all images are loaded but until the whole table is loaded (the list of albums) so it will get better once that's cached.
It's actually the result of a fix for another problem (the index bar often being missing) looks like _that_ fix deserves more tweaking...

Pascal Hibon
2014-01-21, 13:46
It's not until all images are loaded but until the whole table is loaded (the list of albums) so it will get better once that's cached.
It's actually the result of a fix for another problem (the index bar often being missing) looks like _that_ fix deserves more tweaking...

Well, it is not a show stopper for me. I just noticed the flickering at first use and thought I would mention it.
It seems that the flickering behavior goes away after a while (table loaded). On a positive note, the images appear a lot faster now. I guess that is the most important part.

gocubs42
2014-01-21, 16:03
Pippin thanks for the update, really improved performance in so may ways, much faster,

pipo1000
2014-01-23, 15:11
The update

Have fun!

great, scrolling now works perfectly on my iPad air, Thanks a lot for the update!

didjean
2014-01-25, 02:37
Hi pippin,

First of all, many thanks for your great work. Ipeng 7 is a superb app.

I don't know if it has already been reported but, on the iPad version, it seems you can't save a new playlist with a name in landscape mode. No problem in portrait mode. I didn't try this on my iPhone.

Cheers,

pippin
2014-01-25, 04:24
I don't know if it has already been reported but, on the iPad version, it seems you can't save a new playlist with a name in landscape mode. No problem in portrait mode. I didn't try this on my iPhone.

Thanks. Hasn't been reported.
As a workaround you can unpin the playlist, only a problem when pinned.

Chrobrego
2014-01-25, 04:25
Hello, thanks for this new refreshing app.

I noticed the lyrics show up at the bottom of the screen (tested on iPad). As a result, we miss some text. Compare with the behavior on the older app, that was fine there. Everything else seems better so far.

pippin
2014-01-25, 04:26
Could you elaborate what you mean by "bottom of the screen"? The lyrics should scroll automatically and of course you can scroll them manually.
Is this in landscape or portrait?

Chrobrego
2014-01-25, 04:45
Could you elaborate what you mean by "bottom of the screen"? The lyrics should scroll automatically and of course you can scroll them manually.
Is this in landscape or portrait?

I tried in landscape mode. in iPeng HD the lyrics show in the middle of the screen. In iPeng 7 it displays in the first bottom half of the screen.

Just tried in portrait and it's ok there. So problem is only on landscape mode

pippin
2014-01-25, 05:09
But can't you scroll it?

Chrobrego
2014-01-25, 05:23
But can't you scroll it?

Yes I can scroll it, but why should I ? I don't have to scroll in former iPeng.

pippin
2014-01-25, 05:32
But doesn't it scroll automatically?
I mean, the lyrics will rarely fit on a single screen, right?

The reason it is as it is has to do with the portrait mode. Unlike the old iPeng, iPeng 7 uses the full height of the screen for the lyrics. But since there is a bar at the top, there needs to be more space at the top to make sure it's always fully visible.
Another aspect is the different format Chartlyrics delivers compared to Musixmatch. It makes it more difficult to get the autoscrolling right.

Chrobrego
2014-01-25, 06:13
But doesn't it scroll automatically?

Yes it does, but apparently the automatic scrolling cannot compensate enough the wrong starting offset which make use only half of the screen.

I mean, the lyrics will rarely fit Ina singe screen, right?
Depends, anyhow the automatic scrolling is there for those cases.

The reason it is as it is has to do with the portrait mode. Unlike the old iPeng, iPeng 7 uses the full height of the screen for the lyrics.
Maybe but anyhow in the old iPeng, it worked magically well, now it's somehow broken in lanscape mode.

But since there is a bar at the top, there needs to be more space at the top to make sure it's always fully visible.
Which bar? I have the lyrics in full screen mode. Can't the reservation use a percentage instead of a fixed height. Problem is not on Portrait, but on landscape mode

Another aspect is the different format Chartlyrics delivers compared to Musixmatch. It makes it more difficult to get the autoscrolling right.
Maybe something to investigate here, btw I use only embedded lyrics

pippin
2014-01-25, 06:51
Yes it does, but apparently the automatic scrolling cannot compensate enough the wrong starting offset which make use only half of the screen.

That depends on the lyrics. Without offset it will often scroll too fast.

Maybe but anyhow in the old iPeng, it worked magically well, now it's somehow broken in lanscape mode.

The old one always just used the square area in the middle of the screen so didn't have an overlap issue.

Which bar? I have the lyrics in full screen mode. Can't the reservation use a percentage instead of a fixed height. Problem is not on Portrait, but on landscape mode

If you tap the background, control bars show up at the top and bottom of the screen which reduce the available space.
Then almost every song has some type of lead-in, so if the text starts at the top of the screen you will more often have to scroll because when the actual text starts it's already scrolled out of sight.

Maybe something to investigate here, btw I use only embedded lyrics
That will probably be similar. Musixmatch usually had a lot of empty space at the end of the lyrics which made the actual scrolling time longer.

It's really hard to get right without any progress information in the lyrics because every song is so different. Adding margin at the top and bottom increases the chance of having the lyrics shown correctly throughout the song and to have to manually scroll less often.

I mean: you usual song text is like 3-10 pages long depending on Genre (Hip Hop songs sometimes are even much longer) so hals a page of offset should not have that much of an impact.

pippin
2014-01-25, 07:03
OK, I'll have to look at this again. I do see that the space above the text sometimes (not always) gets added twice which shouldn't be the case...

sprint
2014-01-26, 03:38
Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
Old to insistence on how Apple organizes music menus it's under "Artists->All Albums". So you can have both Alternatives instead of having to configure which view you want.

Thanks for the reply.

I note that there has been a recent update released but see that the album covers are still not displayed when 'Artist' is selected?

pippin
2014-01-26, 04:13
Please try to flush the cache. In 7.0.2 this definitely should work.

sprint
2014-01-26, 07:27
Please try to flush the cache. In 7.0.2 this definitely should work.

Thanks.

I now find album covers under All Albums, is that correct or should album covers also be displayed when just Artists is selected?

pippin
2014-01-26, 08:19
Only under Albums. You can get Artist images is you install the MusicArtistInformation plugin.
I did think about doing albums images for artists like Spotify does in their App but the problem is that this can potentially be quite slow and these kind of things tend to impact server performance on some systems, I'm always a bit reluctant to include that kind of stuff.

sprint
2014-01-26, 09:49
Only under Albums. You can get Artist images is you install the MusicArtistInformation plugin.
I did think about doing albums images for artists like Spotify does in their App but the problem is that this can potentially be quite slow and these kind of things tend to impact server performance on some systems, I'm always a bit reluctant to include that kind of stuff.

Thanks

A mod that you may wish to consider for a future upgrade?

When 'Artists' page is selected the 'All Albums' is at the top the page which disappears as you scroll down the page. If at any stage you want to see the album covers you have scroll right to the top the page to find and enable the 'All Albums'.

Would it be possible, on selection of the 'Artists' page, to have the 'All Albums' in the same place as you have the '<Artists', next to the search magnifying glass, so that you could simple toggle between the two functions?

mps
2014-01-26, 21:39
This is not an iPeng problem. I thought it was because I was only seeing it iPeng, but this was just by chance (some of the LMS 7.8 imageproxy images for Jimi Hendrix are good, so whether the problem manifests itself depends on things like exactly what size image is requested). Since I've now also seen the bad image in the web interface, I've created a new post at http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99537-Announce-Music-amp-Artist-Information-plugin&p=769321&viewfull=1#post769321.

Sorry for the mispost,

Mike

pippin
2014-02-21, 16:47
Automatic Color Scheme Selection

With Version 7.0.3 of iPeng 7 (now on the App Store) you can now automatically select the color scheme based on the ambient lighting conditions. This is also the new default setting.

With this feature, you will no longer have a glowing bright screen when using iPeng in a dark room but you can still use the bright iOS 7ish look during the day.

It does work on iPhones from the iPhone 4S on and on all iPads. On iPod touch and iPhone 4 the scheme will be selected based on the time of day.

Of course, you can still manually select the color scheme if you prefer to.
Have fun!

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2014/02/22/automatic-color-scheme-selection-in-ipeng-7-0-3/

pippin
2014-03-15, 13:49
iPeng 7.0.4 is available on the App Store since today and it fixes an issue with skewed volume (and brightness) sliders under iOS 7.1. So if you are using iOS 7.1 and iPeng 7 make sure you get the update.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ipeng-7/id767266886?mt=8&uo=4&at=10l56j

garym
2014-03-18, 05:52
I'm a long time ipeng and now ipeng7 (both iphone4s and ipad2). Relatively minor point in terms of usability, but it seems like ipeng7 is very slow on my iphone4s to load artwork. Long after any cache is built (so not just during that period where obviously it is building the art work database), when I select an ARTIST it seems to show "loading" for what seems like an extended time (not terrible, but maybe 15 seconds) before it lists the albums. But the artwork is not filled in until about 70 seconds. If I exit the artist and go back in to the same artist, it is much faster. If I'm scrolling quickly through a long list of artists, iPeng7 also seems to hang occasionally before letting me continue to scroll.

Things are much faster on my ipad2 in terms of artwork and album loading. Is this simply a case of my iphone4s being underpowered for iOS7.1? I don't recall the same delay in older ipeng with i0S6 and older.

I'm currently running latest iOS7.x and LMS 7.8 on a vortexbox (fedora linux) machine. I have about 80k tracks, 1800 artists, and 6000 albums. most have artwork. The setting in LMS about pre-caching artwork is turned on and there are indications there of two different ipeng7 custom settings showing there 150x150 and 300x300.

Mostly just confirming it is the old phone issue rather than something I'm doing wrong in my ipeng settings....

pippin
2014-03-18, 06:08
Again: the "caching" message has nothing to do with artwork!

This is clearly your server creating artwork thumbnails for iPeng 7.
iPeng 2 used 150x150 thumbnails on everything. iPeng 7 still does so on iPad 2 because it doesn't have a retina screen. Your server created these thumbnails long ago so using them is fast.

iPeng 7 on the iPhone 4S (actually on anything but iPad 2 and non-retina iPad mini) now uses 300x300px thumbnails which need to be created. They are being created whenever they are first used, not during "caching", that's what iPeng 1.0 did back in the days and it got a lot of servers down on their knees.

I'm currently running latest iOS7.x and LMS 7.8 on a vortexbox (fedora linux) machine. I have about 80k tracks, 1800 artists, and 6000 albums. most have artwork. The setting in LMS about pre-caching artwork is turned on and there are indications there of two different ipeng7 custom settings showing there 150x150 and 300x300.

Mostly just confirming it is the old phone issue rather than something I'm doing wrong in my ipeng settings....

No, it's nothing to do with the phone, it's the new artwork format.
Since you are using 7.8 (recent beta, I hope), I'd do a "Clear & Rescan" of the library (actually an incremental rescan might do as well, just not sure) which will make the server create the thumbnails during the scanning process, after that everything should be fast. Or wait until everything has been loaded by iPeng at least once.

garym
2014-03-18, 06:18
Again: the "caching" message has nothing to do with artwork!

This is clearly your server creating artwork thumbnails for iPeng 7.
iPeng 2 used 150x150 thumbnails on everything. iPeng 7 still does so on iPad 2 because it doesn't have a retina screen. Your server created these thumbnails long ago so using them is fast.

iPeng 7 on the iPhone 4S (actually on anything but iPad 2 and non-retina iPad mini) now uses 300x300px thumbnails which need to be created. They are being created whenever they are first used, not during "caching", that's what iPeng 1.0 did back in the days and it got a lot of servers down on their knees.

Aha. that explains it.And also explains why going back to same artist, album listing is much faster. I use recent 7.8 but haven't done a clear and rescan in a long while. I'll have to try that too. I don't know if it had any effect that I am using ipeng7 on two different servers (two different locations) and it seems to be slower when I move to the current server after being on the old one. And one server was 7.7.2 until recently (and not 7.8). Now both are same version of 7.8.

pippin
2014-03-18, 06:21
Well, 7.8 has a feature that allows Apps to register their own artwork format for which the server will then create thumbnails during a rescan.
On 7.7.x a "Clear&Rescan" was actually counter-productive because it erased all artwork caches.
I'd also try an incremental rescan on 7.8 first, it's so much faster.

garym
2014-03-18, 06:23
I'd also try an incremental rescan on 7.8 first, it's so much faster.

that's probably not it, as I do incremental rescans every couple of days because of adding new music. But I haven't done a clear and rescan in a while. I'll do that now to see if that speeds things up.

Owen Smith
2014-03-18, 07:05
Aha. that explains it.And also explains why going back to same artist, album listing is much faster. I use recent 7.8 but haven't done a clear and rescan in a long while. I'll have to try that too. I don't know if it had any effect that I am using ipeng7 on two different servers (two different locations) and it seems to be slower when I move to the current server after being on the old one. And one server was 7.7.2 until recently (and not 7.8). Now both are same version of 7.8.

This is where my nightly full clear and rescan wins, I never have to sort out this kind of thing.

pippin
2014-03-18, 07:09
This is where my nightly full clear and rescan wins, I never have to sort out this kind of thing.

Yea, but only with 7.8. In all previous server versions it meant that you actually clear all the thumbnails and they have to be re-created when loaded.
And it means iPeng's internal caches need to be refreshed every day.

garym
2014-03-18, 07:58
Just ran a clear and rescan. Afterwards, iPeng7 is quite fast on my iphone4S when loading albums and showing artwork. Thanks for the tip Pippin.

Enoch Soames
2014-03-24, 14:31
Hi, Pippin -

Since yesterday I've been having an odd problem with my iPhone 5s/iPad 2 and iPeng (I use both versions of iPeng, and both are up to date). Art shows up in the SB server, and on the screens of both of my Squeezebox Touches, but it won't display on the 'now playing' screen of iPeng on my iPhone and iPad 2 - everything works as it should, but all I get is the generic CD artwork screen. Thumbnails of artwork do show up in 'albums' and 'new music' views on both devices, just not on the main screen.

I'm running SB Server version 7.6.1, and the latest version of iOS (7.1). I've cleared and rescanned the library a couple of times, and I've done the 'flush cache' thing on both versions of iPeng (neither shows artwork on the main screen). So far nothing has worked. I can't think of any changes I've made to settings lately. Can you offer some suggestions as to what my problem might be?

Thanks in advance.

Lee Moore

pippin
2014-03-24, 16:09
Please try restarting the server (or have a look at the server logs before that).
This sounds like an old problem with the server's artwork rescaler sometimes stopping to work. I don't remember what exactly caused it, the latest LMS versions don't have the issue anymore, I think.
Maybe the artwork cache on the server grew too big or you don't have write permission anymore.

MusicMonkey
2014-04-23, 08:59
Hello - I've been enjoying iPeng 7 since it came out, and I'd like to offer one small suggestion:

On the iPeng 7 iPhone app, the 4 vertical scroll dots that appear in the New Music page appear all bunched together in the vertical center of the screen (along the right edge). However, in the previous iPeng 6 for iPhone, the 4 dots appeared evenly spaced out vertically from top to bottom (along the right edge).

The result is that the vertical scrolling on the New Music page in iPeng 7 is very sensitive: it jumps 25% up or down with barely any movement along the vertical scroller. However, on iPeng 6 it would allow more "travel" along the vertical scroller before jumping 25% up or down, making the vertical scroll less jumpy than it is on iPeng 7.

Might it be possible to make the iPeng7 vertical scroll dots on New Music be evenly spaced from top to bottom similar to how they appear in iPeng 6?

Thanks for your consideration and help.

pippin
2014-04-24, 11:13
Might it be possible to make the iPeng7 vertical scroll dots on New Music be evenly spaced from top to bottom similar to how they appear in iPeng 6?

Unfortunately that's a change Apple has made in iOS 7, not one iPeng has made.
I would have to manually re-create the whole index to change this, something I am reluctant to do because it means that whenever Apple changes something I will have to do a change, too, to keep up with it.

I do admit that I thought about it in this case, though, because I hate the way the new index works, too.

pippin
2014-07-17, 16:54
The World Cup is over and Coolio can now again turn his attention to bringing you cool new updates for iPeng 7.

iPad and iPhone Behavior More Consistent

Due to some changes in iPengís iPhone UI, the behavior of the iPhone and iPad user interfaces are now more consistent:

A new NowPlaying button on iPhone: On iPhone, iPeng now uses a small version of the current trackís cover as a NowPlaying button. This allows you an immediate glance of whatís currently playing.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NPNew.png

Swipe-to-delete in the current playlist: Swipe on a track in the current playlist to delete it or bring up the context menu.
Donít leave menu when returning to App: When you return to iPeng from another App, iPeng on iPhone will no longer return to the ďMoreĒ main menu but stay where you left it.

Support for LMS 7.9

Logitech Media Server 7.9 brings a number of changes to the serverís behavior, and iPeng 7.0.6 will now fully support them.

In particular, LMS 7.9 now allows you to create additional artists menus (for example for Composers, Album Artists etc.), this is now also fully supported in iPeng. If you use this functionality with the server (itís optional), iPengís ďArtistsĒ menu will take the role of the ďAll ArtistsĒ menu in LMS.

Another change in LMS 7.9 is that you can create sublibraries to e.g. separate out childrenís music or audiobooks. This functionality, too, is now fully supported by iPeng 7.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2014/07/16/ipeng-7-summer-update/

Have fun!