PDA

View Full Version : ROCKI Wifi Music System

MeSue
2013-11-25, 16:34
Have any of you seen this Kickstarter? I thought it was interesting that they were using the "Free Your Music" slogan, but it doesn't appear to be connected to the Slim Devices founders from what I can see.

Free Your Music - From Every Phone, To All Speakers, For Everyone. ROCKI Wifi Music System, Multi-room, Multi-User, Multi-Speakers
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rocki/rocki-wifi-music-system-from-every-phone-to-all-sp

plympton
2013-11-25, 17:35
If you can't sync them across rooms, I don't see the point. Bluetooth is actually reasonable decent sounding for an ad-hoc streaming solution or car. If they're shooting for something better, it isn't listed.

erland
2013-11-25, 23:03
Have any of you seen this Kickstarter?

Feels like an AirPlay, Chromecast, Bluetooth replacement.

Their main challenge is likely going to support content from streaming services, but I think I'm seeing a Spotify icon in one of the screenshots so maybe I'm wrong about this. Still, there is a big difference to implement support for a streaming service in a prototype and getting the necessary commercial agreement to be allowed to distribute it.

The main advantage over Bluetooth would probably be that you don't have to pair devices with their solution.
The main advantage over AirPlay would be that it can officially be used with Android devices.
The main advantage over Chromecast is that it can work with powered speakers and simple amplifiers which doesn't have a HDMI port.

However, I have to say that it's interesting with all these new solutions being worked on, eventually someone will come up with a worthy replacement to the Squeezebox hardware.

MeSue
2013-11-26, 09:58
If you can't sync them across rooms, I don't see the point. Bluetooth is actually reasonable decent sounding for an ad-hoc streaming solution or car. If they're shooting for something better, it isn't listed.

It wasn't clear wether you can sync or not. They say multi-room, which would imply syncing, but they don't explicitly say it, so it makes you wonder.

Bluetooth is fine for portable speakers and headphones, but the range is too small for any kind of whole home audio. Even using my travel speaker outside, I get interruptions unless the control device is sitting still fairly close to it.

IRJ
2014-05-06, 14:41
I have just been reading the rocki website.
It appears that you can play the same source through multiple speakers at the same time.
I also see that roki can handle good range of high quality material even lossless.
They are about to launch a rocki with digital and analog outputs.

On the face of it, it seems to do 95% of a Sonos.
It remains to be seen how many external streaming sources they can sign up and when.

Considering the price point I may buy one to play with. I don't want to use my cell phone as a source rather my desktop.