PDA

View Full Version : System doesn't wake up via SvrPowerControl

donmacn
2013-11-23, 12:05
Hi,
I'm sure this has probably been asked before, so I've searched the forums, and searched the 'svrpowercontrol' thread. if it's there, I've missed it so far, so my apologies for raising it again.

I installed SvrPowerControl last night (relatively new - 5/6 yrs - packard bell PC running Windows7; LMS as in my signature). Hoping to be able to shut the system down automatically at night, but more importantly for me, to wake up remotely via any of the players. I haven't tested if the shutdown works, but I'm pretty sure I have an issue with the WOL.

Example: while I'm out of the house for a couple of hours, the system and server powers down. I come back in and try to switch on one of my players, a Boom. It says it can't connect. If I go through to the PC and nudge the mouse, it comes to life, and by the time I'm back at the Boom, it will connect fine.

I'm really keen to get the WOL working.

Having checked a few threads, it seems I need to be sure that the PC is set to allow this.
The router is hardwired to the pc; the Realtek PCI NIC card seems to be set correctly. In the configure>advanced tab, "wake up on magic packet" is enabled. On the configure>power management tab "allow this device to wake the computer" is checked, as is the sub-option "only allow a magic packet to wake the computer".

But, at the same time the option to "allow the computer to turn off this device" is also checked. Wouldn't the PCI card need to remain powered on at all times in order to receive a wake up signal via the router? Are the "allow device to wake computer" and "allow computer to turn off this device" conflicting options?

Any help gratefully received. If it's forum protocol to go through all 208 pages of the SvrpowerControl thread, please let me know........:(

Ta

reinholdk
2013-11-23, 14:16
Just checked the settings of my Realtek PCI NIC card in my Win7 PC and they're the same as yours - and WOL works fine for me from the SBs.

Check if the BIOS of your PC has a WOL setting and that it's enabled - the BIOS can be accessed by pressing the proper keyboard key right after the PC is booting. The key might be Del or F2 or something else depending on your system (maybe shown for a short moment at the beginning of the boot process).

If you have another computer in your network try sending a WOL message to your LMS PC. For Windows there are tools like WolCmd.exe that you can use to send a WOL message to a certain MAC address.

donmacn
2013-11-23, 14:32
Just checked the settings of my Realtek PCI NIC card in my Win7 PC and they're the same as yours - and WOL works fine for me from the SBs.

Check if the BIOS of your PC has a WOL setting and that it's enabled - the BIOS can be accessed by pressing the proper keyboard key right after the PC is booting. The key might be Del or F2 or something else depending on your system (maybe shown for a short moment at the beginning of the boot process).

If you have another computer in your network try sending a WOL message to your LMS PC. For Windows there are tools like WolCmd.exe that you can use to send a WOL message to a certain MAC address.

Thanks Reinhold,

It's good to know the PCI setting look right. I'll maybe try jumping into the startup sequence tomorrow morning (though as I've said elsewhere it's getting into computer stuff that I'm not really familiar with).

I have an ipad, but they seem so locked-down that i suspect running any WOL commands from here would be more trouble than it was worth, but I have a windows-based netbook that might be easier to deal with.

Mnyb
2013-11-24, 04:00
Re iPad .If you have iPeng intalled it can send WOL both automatically and manually .
In the player controll menu press > button beside the server name at the top.

If you somehow missed that iPeng is a good app to controll squeezeboxes with .

Also some routers have WOL utilities in ,almost certainly if you run third party router fw as tomato or ddwrt.
So maybe youncan send WOL from the routers web-UI

How is your network layed out .
The important part is that the WOL package does not traverse several networks and subnets .
But a typical one router home network does not have this problem unless your router has built in "guest networks" that wifi stuff can attach to . If you have a more complex situation with several routers and acess points something could be configured the wrong way .

But the network card must be powered all the time , sugest you actually try to remove that conflicting setting .
WOL can also boot the computer not only pull it out off sleep .
Check your bios settings it's probably there you find the problem.

donmacn
2013-11-24, 12:26
Hi there,

I did reset the BIOS on startup this morning, enabling both PCI and PCIE wake-up. At first I thought it hadn't worked, the player said it was waking the server; then trying to connect and saying it couldn't, but just as soon as it did that it was able to connect, so there must just be a little lag while the PC wakes up along with LMS.

So first signs are very encouraging. Network is very basic, just one router.

I have the logitech (I think?) app for SB. Is ipeng much better?

Thanks very much both.

Mnyb
2013-11-24, 12:39
IPad apps it depends on taste you also have SqueezePad apart from iPeng .

IMO both of those are better than Logitech's app . IPeng has different UI paradigm and may or may not suit your taste .
SqueezePad is basically the app Logitech should have designed .

Both have more features besides from working better .

Logitechs app has the benefit of being the simplest one and are more or less exactly as the player UI .

Yes ignore the message on the players when WOL is active , a WOL from sleep may be so fast that you don't time out and get the message ,but boot is not .
So I think one should not fiddle with the player controlls or anything while WOL is going on

gharris999
2013-11-28, 08:56
I'm a big fan of both SqueezePad and iPeng for iPad. Both apps handle sending out WOL packets at the right time very well. I'm not sure the Logitech app tries to do anything with WOL. There are other free WOL apps for iThings out there which help with testing the WOLability of a server.

Depending on your system BIOS, you may also need to enable wake on PCI or wake on PCIe to get WOL working. But your report seems to indicate that you've nailed it for your machine. Good work.