PDA

View Full Version : Which NAS is the best?

Niccolo
2013-11-18, 10:17
Hello,

I have a Touch, with an old PC acting as a file server now. The PC is dying though, and I am looking to buy a NAS. NAS is a totally new area to me. After some reading, I've found out I have to choose from among QNAP, Synology and ReadyNAS (Ultra or Pro). Could you please help me and tell the main differences? My budget is rather limited (would like to fit into 400 EUR, including disks, and for now a 2-bay 1-2 Tb total storage space is more than enough).
In addition to listening to FLACs and mp3 on Touch, I would use the NAS to store and stream pictures, films, some general files. It would also be ideal if I could use it for surveillance, as a server to connect the printer, but that is secondary.
What are the main differences between the brands (and maybe specific models) that I should be aware of when choosing?
Thank you.

reinholdk
2013-11-19, 05:59
A few years ago I was in the same situation. I then decided to buy another PC (actually assembled it myself) due to the flexibility it provides.

Still value this a lot. It provides me everything I'd do with a NAS plus I can use it as a desktop computer.

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-19, 07:06
The HP Microservers would be good for this. Probably much better than a NAS if you want to do other stuff like the cctv. If you're in the UK Ebuyer frequently have cash back offers on the HPs, I believe similar offers are available from time to time in the US as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

JonWill
2013-11-19, 07:26
I'd second the HP MicroServer - may seem slightly more complicated to set up in the first place, but much easier to maintain, and runs Logitech Media Server far better than a NAS!

aubuti
2013-11-19, 07:34
A few years ago I was in the same situation. I then decided to buy another PC (actually assembled it myself) due to the flexibility it provides.

Still value this a lot. It provides me everything I'd do with a NAS plus I can use it as a desktop computer.
+1
I took the same route myself about five years ago, after using NASs to serve my SBs for three years. In my opinion using a simple low-energy PC is a better option than a NAS for many people. Flexibility, not being dependent on Logitech or the NAS vendor to update images for new versions of LMS, etc. And it's usually less expensive than a NAS. I run mine headless most of the time, but if I want/need to use it as a computer then it's easy to hook up a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

aspendl828
2013-11-19, 10:34
Another fan of the HP Microserver approach.

Available for remarkably little cash - especially with one of the regular cashback offers.

Run mine headless and manage it using VNC. I use it with Windows 8 using a 'storage space' to give data redundancy (yes I also have offsite backup). Totally over the top, I realise, but I enjoyed doing it !

It also provides central data storage for the various family PCs and laptops.

Niccolo
2013-11-19, 12:36
I was expecting somebody will help me to choose one out of three, instead I get the fourth option, which many people seem to support.
Thank you, I will consider it too, but since we get no cashback offers in Lithuania, it seems this may be slightly above my budget.

aubuti
2013-11-19, 15:25
So, EUR 400 is about 1400 Litas, right? With that budget you should be able to get something like the following, with enough left over to upgrade to a larger hard disk. I didn't look around the web sites of other computer shops in Vilnius, but I'm sure that even though this is okay, there are better deals available somewhere.

http://www.skytech.lt/eb1033b0290-asus-eee-boxeb1033b0290-atom-d2550nm10610m2g-ddr3320gno-p-136317.html

But in the end, you're the one who will pay for it and live with it, so decide what works best for you.

EDIT: Or something from here: http://www.komp.lt/kompai/desktop.html . And if you're looking to use it for running LMS and being a basic file server (NAS), then you could install the free Vortexbox software and you should be good to go.

reinholdk
2013-11-20, 05:01
I was expecting somebody will help me to choose one out of three, instead I get the fourth option

You shouldn't be surprised by that when you ask such a question. :)

Mnyb
2013-11-20, 05:11
I've used home built mini-ix server and HP-Microserver (and my regular PC ) with Linux .

Prebuilt vortexbox, plugcomputer ,wandboard , Rasberry -PI ,Mac-Mini, Barebones such as shuttle-PC,Netbook (cheap from ebay) .

.. at least 10 options other than a comercial NAS :)

Linux, Vortexbox ,Freenas ,(or OSX or Win ) to run it with .