PDA

View Full Version : SB3 IR Remote Control problem

dazbarber
2013-11-16, 07:38
Hi all,

My SB3 has been working great until the other day when it was totally unresponsive to the remote control unless I pointed the remote almost directly at the SB3 (and this would only work if I was pretty much directly in front of the SB3).
I blamed the server and switched to mysqueezebox.com - same problem.
I have rebooted the SB3 and the server to no avail.
At one point it seemed to repeat the last key pressed several times and kept scrolling up the menu items (and then rebooted).
If I stand in front of the SB3 it works fine but if I point the remote slightly away, or I'm not in front of the SB3 it won't respond.
Music still plays ok.
I have tried turning off low energy lighting (which has been in place for about 3 years anyway without effect) but there's no change.
I've also tried with the original remote and my universal learning remote (my usual choice for the last few years - which has fresh batteries and no other equipment is suffering).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daz

jimbobvfr400
2013-11-16, 09:36
Bit of a cop out answer but have you tried factory resetting the SB? I've lost count of the times various devices have been cured of weird stuff like this by a reset or reboot.

Also if I remember correctly the SB3 has an additional reset for an xlink reset that is worth a go if a factory reset doesn't solve it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

dazbarber
2013-11-16, 11:10
Bit of a cop out answer but have you tried factory resetting the SB? I've lost count of the times various devices have been cured of weird stuff like this by a reset or reboot.

Also if I remember correctly the SB3 has an additional reset for an xlink reset that is worth a go if a factory reset doesn't solve it.

Factory reset complete. No change I'm afraid :(

bpa
2013-11-16, 14:19
Sounds like batteries in the SB3 remote - I once had a similar remote problem and replacing "new" batteries was needed as "new" batteries weren't good for some reason.
You can check SB3 IR with a digital camera - IR light will appear white. Check that remote IR lights with repeated key presses and with each key.

dazbarber
2013-12-01, 02:27
...and suddenly last night my SB3 died :(

However, I saw THIS (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?99455-Squeezebox-Classic-won-t-power-on) thread and looked at the back of my SB3 to see a faint slowly-flashing red light as did the OP in that thread. That, and the non-responsive remote, makes me think that it could be PSU related. What are the chances?

I'm already on my second PSU... fingers crossed that this is the problem again (what is it with SB3 PSUs? I don't have as many problems with PSUs for anything else).

Daz

dazbarber
2013-12-06, 16:53
Problem solved and SB3 fixed :)

It was indeed my power supply. How odd that everything worked fine apart from the erratic remote problem for a couple of weeks. Then nothing (except for a faint slowly flickering digital audio light).

The supplier of my 1st replacement power supply sent a new one as the culprit had failed during its 10 year guarantee. Well done DigiDave!

Now, back to the music...

Daz