PDA

View Full Version : Playlist iTunes Export Problem and a Workaround

bakerboy
2013-11-15, 09:08
Whenever I export an iTunes playlist (as either .m3u or .m3u8) place it in my /Music/Playlists folder, then do a LMS rescan, it shows up in my SBs as My Music > Playlists, but when selected it shows up as "Empty" on my Duet, Squeezebox Radios and LMS web interface.

Opened in an editor the .m3u format looks fine, based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U .

Those same exported playlists work fine in the VLC (VideoLAN) Player.

If I then save the playlist from VLC as a new .m3u file and do a LMS rescan, it becomes playable by my SBs. Okay, that's my workaround but I don't see why it works.

One difference I can see between the iTunes and VLC playlist files is that the #EXTINF: lines for iTunes have the order Song Title - Artist, while VLC does it as Artist - Song Title. I tried manually editing the iTunes export .m3u to change the order and re-scanned but the SBs still see it as Empty!

Can someone tell me what's going on? Thanks.

Software:
Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 - 1384348383
Mac OS X 10.8.5
iTunes 11.1.3 (8)
VLC (VideoLan) Player 2.0.9

Mnyb
2013-11-16, 01:51
Have a closer look at the file paths in the playlists are they the same ?

bakerboy
2013-11-16, 05:38
Yes, the file paths are identical in the iTunes exported and the VLC saved playlists. Plus, the iTunes exported playlist, which LMS and the SBs show as "Empty" play perfectly in VLC.

fizbinboy
2013-11-16, 20:11
Just tried this today and am having the same problem. One small difference is that after I edited the m3u file, instead of showing the contents of the playlist as Empty it shows the playlist name as being the one item in the playlist.