PDA

View Full Version : Help! Have SB3-Trying to Use External HD w/ Laptop & iTunes

btol
2013-11-04, 10:25
Hi Everyone,

First time poster here.

So I am trying this new set up that isn't working so smoothly. I'd greatly appreciate any help you're willing to provide. I have a SB3. I also have binders of CD's and I have started importing them as lossless files into an external hard drive via iTunes on my laptop.

This part is working fine. I have set iTunes to point to the external hard drive and it places any imports into the external HD. Additionally, the only media in the iTunes music library are the lossless files from the CDs that I've been importing over the past few days.

Here's where the problem starts. I also have a ton of songs already in my laptop that iTunes used to show in the music library before I switched it to using the external HD only. As stated above, everything works fine on the laptop and iTunes since only the songs in the external HD are being shown in my iTunes library. However, whenever I'm done importing CD's for the day and have the SB3 scan my library, some tracks/files from my laptop (and not the external HD) are showing up on the SB3. Since these are crappy downloads and not lossless, I don't want them popping up.

How do I get my SB3 to recognize only the songs on the external HD and not include a handful of random artists/tracks from my old laptop playlist?

Thanks a ton in advance for your help!!!

B

aubuti
2013-11-04, 10:51
Welcome. Open the LMS web interface, and click the text on the bottom right that says "Settings". On the first tab of the Settings page, specify the external drive as the location of your music library that you want LMS to use. In other words, you have to point LMS to the external hard drive the exact same way that you had to point iTunes to the external drive.

Then, a couple items below the box where you specify the music library location, select "Clear and rescan" and press the button. This should rebuild the LMS database so that it only includes the tracks on the external drive.

Mnyb
2013-11-04, 11:12
Also make a decision if you are going to use the iTunes integration plug-in or not .

If you dont use it is as simple as abuti put it just piont LMS to a folder where you keep files that you want it to use . You can use combinations of folders and shortcuts (aliases ) to make a more elaborate setup .

If you want to use the iTunes integration you dont set up a folder for your music but make the iTunes integration import information from iTunes and thens it really about what iTunes see .
It has some more settings that i have not explored as i dont use iTuynes at all .

btol
2013-11-04, 11:26
Thanks, folks! I'll try the LMS thing when I get home from work this evening. As far as the iTunes integration plug-in, I'm not quite sure what that does...

B

aubuti
2013-11-04, 11:57
I also don't use iTunes integration, but my understanding is that the main thing it does is make your iTunes playlists, including "smart playlists", readily available to LMS.

But a lot of users have run into various problems with iTunes integration not working the way they expect, for a variety of reasons, including user error, changes in iTunes, and having the wrong expectations. My advice is to avoid iTunes integration at least until you have LMS reading the files you want. Then if you have iTunes smart playlists that are really important to you then you may want to look into iTunes integration.

btol
2013-11-04, 12:45
OK - That's really helpful. I'm going to pass on the plug-in. All I want to do is get my SB3 to play only the files that are on the external HD. I don't really care about playlists.

garym
2013-11-04, 14:52
OK - That's really helpful. I'm going to pass on the plug-in. All I want to do is get my SB3 to play only the files that are on the external HD. I don't really care about playlists.

be sure to "untick" the "videos" and "pictures" items next to the name of your "music folder". And I recall you have to "browse" to the music folder and select it rather than typing the folder name in the space.

p.s. I'd advice going to the plugins tab in Settings and "unchecking" UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin just in case it is checked. This could cause some unintended problems as well (and you don't need it). Have fun!

kidstypike
2013-11-04, 14:56
be sure to "untick" the "videos" and "pictures" items next to the name of your "music folder". And I recall you have to "browse" to the music folder and select it rather than typing the folder name in the space.

p.s. I'd advice going to the plugins tab in Settings and "unchecking" UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugin just in case it is checked. This could cause some unintended problems as well (and you don't need it). Have fun!

All good advice, and I'd also uncheck the iTunes plugin if checked.

btol
2013-11-04, 15:54
You guys are great! I'll let you know how things turn out when I get home tonight.