PDA

View Full Version : SqueezePlug on Pi…what am I doing wrong?

the nightfly
2013-10-27, 02:45
After reading and discussing matters here a while ago, I put together a Pi (rev. B) to run SqueezePlug. I got various parts (PSU, WiFi adapter, etc. from the "approved" lists, and put it together using the video instructions at squeezeplug.de. I installed both LMS and SqueezeLite.

THE GOOD: The server portion of this seems to be working well. I can connect to it with iPeng, and play music from the server either in iPeng's internal player, or sending the audio through my SBTouch with no problem whatsoever.

THE BAD: While the server seems to be running fine, the player is the exact opposite. Using the headphone jack (along with good headphones) for audio is a painful experience, the music stuttering and distorted. It almost seems like the Pi is putting out a prodigious amount of RF noise, every bit of which is interfering with the audio. It's absolutely unlistenable, whether playing music on the Pi's internal LMS, or a a server on my NAS.

THE UGLY: Well, maybe that isn't such a problem, as I plan to go straight from the Pi into my AVR's input using HDMI cables. But here's the problem: even if I explicitly have setup configure the Pi to use the HDMI for audio output, nothing comes out when I plug it into my AVR's HDMI input. I have checked said input with other sources, using the same cable, and can verify it works; so the problem appears to be restricted to the Pi.

Any suggestions?

the nightfly
2013-10-27, 20:24
Nobody has any ideas?

Wirrunna
2013-10-27, 21:53
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97803-piCoPlayer-Squeezelite-on-Microcore-linux-An-embedded-OS-in-RAM-with-Squeezelite

cliveb
2013-10-28, 01:50
THE BAD: While the server seems to be running fine, the player is the exact opposite. Using the headphone jack (along with good headphones) for audio is a painful experience, the music stuttering and distorted. It almost seems like the Pi is putting out a prodigious amount of RF noise, every bit of which is interfering with the audio. It's absolutely unlistenable, whether playing music on the Pi's internal LMS, or a a server on my NAS.
I've only ever used the Pi as a player, not a server. What I can confirm is that the quality of the built-in audio output is pretty poor. Distortion and noise are unacceptable. I use mine with a Muse PCM2704 USB-to-SPDIF converter feeding an old QED Digit DAC, and it works fine that way.

You mention stuttering as well as distortion. If it is genuinely dropping samples then perhaps it's simply a case of the Pi running out of steam when you try to run LMS and Squeezelite together? The Pi is a very low power device, after all. One way to check this would be to try shutting down LMS on the Pi and trying it as just a Squeezelite player from another LMS on your network.

castalla
2013-10-28, 02:13
I've only ever used the Pi as a player, not a server. What I can confirm is that the quality of the built-in audio output is pretty poor. Distortion and noise are unacceptable. I use mine with a Muse PCM2704 USB-to-SPDIF converter feeding an old QED Digit DAC, and it works fine that way.

You mention stuttering as well as distortion. If it is genuinely dropping samples then perhaps it's simply a case of the Pi running out of steam when you try to run LMS and Squeezelite together? The Pi is a very low power device, after all. One way to check this would be to try shutting down LMS on the Pi and trying it as just a Squeezelite player from another LMS on your network.

I've run LMS and squeezelite on a Pi without any issues. I've never had sound issues either.

I think it's down to luck whether you get a noisy or quiet Pi!

DaveWr
2013-10-29, 01:22

The Pi built in audio has NO DAC. It uses pulse width modulation of pins in software to create an approximation of an audio signal. Recently this was improved a little with some kernel changes. In order to get good audio, it either a USB or I2S solution required. Many developers have achieved good results now that the kernel patches fof correct USB operation have been done. Google Raspyfi for an insight into PI audio activities.

the nightfly
2013-10-30, 01:06
The Pi built in audio has NO DAC. It uses pulse width modulation of pins in software to create an approximation of an audio signal. Recently this was improved a little with some kernel changes. In order to get good audio, it either a USB or I2S solution required. Many developers have achieved good results now that the kernel patches fof correct USB operation have been done. Google Raspyfi for an insight into PI audio activities.

Given that the audio output is poor (although I'd say this is a lot worse than just "poor"), I should still be able to get digital out on HDMI, right?

DJanGo
2013-10-30, 10:05
Hi,

I've run LMS and squeezelite on a Pi without any issues. I've never had sound issues either.
why i didnt believe you?

I think it's down to luck whether you get a noisy or quiet Pi!
well maybe but good cables (earthing or not) and good peripherie would make a difference too.

Given that the audio output is poor (although I'd say this is a lot worse than just "poor"), I should still be able to get digital out on HDMI, right?

yupp, but you need an HDMI Converter thats nearly the same size as a USB DAC or the Pi itself...

So in my opinion as a real hardware geek - rasp is fine wandboard is even better.

the nightfly
2013-10-30, 14:28
Hi,
yupp, but you need an HDMI Converter thats nearly the same size as a USB DAC or the Pi itself...

So, you can't just use the HDMI port on the Pi itself?

DJanGo
2013-10-30, 14:50
Q:So, you can't just use the HDMI port on the Pi itself?

A:basically yes
Do you have an HDMI Input on your Amp? If not you need a "Converter" if yes you need nothing but a cable.

the nightfly
2013-10-30, 14:56
Do you have an HDMI Input on your Amp? If not you need a "Converter" if yes you need nothing but a cable.

I have an HDMI input on my receiver, which works with both my Oppo player and my laptop as a digital input -- but get no audio when using the Pi.