PDA

View Full Version : Bose getting into it... yes THAT Bose

klezmer41
2013-10-10, 14:57
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/10/bose-soundtouch-wifi-music-systems/
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/wifi_music_systems/soundtouch_music/soundtouch_30/index.jsp

No FLAC support yet but it looks like it's planned. What looks disappointing though is that you need to have your library managed by iTunes or Windows.

PRGeno
2013-10-10, 15:36
Also disappointing is no audio outputs so you could use an external amp and speakers if you wish. It's all Bose or nothing.

dasmueller
2013-10-10, 18:40
Also disappointing is no audio outputs so you could use an external amp and speakers if you wish. It's all Bose or nothing.

Agreed. The ability to plug into your own amplifier would be a real plus. I would guess that is a conscious decision to tie people to the Bose line of products.

Sync appears to be there which many folks find a critical component of any new system.

audiomuze
2013-10-10, 23:59
With the ability of to pop a Wandboard into the Squeezebox architecture to fee an external DAC I simply don't see the need to even begin to consider other solutions for music streaming. Granted, I don't make use of Pandora etc., my playback is limited to what's in my library, I buy a lot of music and other than in my car I only play lossless.

banned for life
2013-10-11, 07:24
With the ability of to pop a Wandboard into the Squeezebox architecture to fee an external DAC I simply don't see the need to even begin to consider other solutions for music streaming. Granted, I don't make use of Pandora etc., my playback is limited to what's in my library, I buy a lot of music and other than in my car I only play lossless.

Bose = limited fidelity alternative

yeomanspc
2013-10-11, 07:29

I can align with your views as applied to my own situation, but we already have a squeezebox system, and if you are prepared to go the wandboard route that probably makes you like the rest of us and a bit technical. This Bose announcement is exactly what I would have expected Logitech to do a few years back, and it just demonstrates that Logitech did not need to pull the plug and (to my mind) completely missed a fantastic opportunity.

We visited some relatives last week and they had one (yes, one) Squeezebox 3 which they ran off the laptop. I expressed an interest and the guy said he was going to buy a Sonos system because it seemed more capable, less fuss and had a better interface for finding music. He'd never seen the LMS web interface, nor Ipeng, nor SqueezeComander but was using the Logitech Android app. 20 minutes later after a quick demo and offer to give him a R-Pi LMS so he had an "always on" system, his only question was "where can I get additional players now then to extend it?" The documentation and infrastructure for the non technical on Squeeze was always lousy and therefore the non-technical were never able to realise the potential. No doubt Squeeze is far more capable than anything out there, but it's too hard for most. And to be frank, the majority would be just fine without plugging it into an amp, and I'll bet no more than 1% of the market potential either know what a DAC is or care.

Sonos and Bose are both relatively expensive, but it's nice to see someone else in the market, and I think they'll do well.

Craig
2013-10-12, 08:06
Bose = limited fidelity alternative
In professional audio circles it mean Bring Other Sound Equipment!

Craig

jimzak
2014-03-26, 03:41
http://www.cnet.com/news/bose-soundtouch-throws-down-multiroom-audio-gauntlet-to-sonos/

toby10
2014-03-26, 04:44
Yeah, I'll bet Bose didn't like Sonos muscling in on their main marketing ploy: national TV ads selling over priced speakers to the unwitting masses.
Then again, it's good to see more big names jumping into the networked audio market. Further proof Logitech really missed the boat with their complete bungling of the SqueezeBox line.

Side Note: I love the one poster replying to the article saying "yeah, I heard these Bose speakers.... they are OK for casual listening.... If I really want to listen to audiophile sound I pop in a CD, sit on a couch, and listen from a 'true' audiophile system."