PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup NAS for LMS?

shacky
2013-10-03, 16:00
I just picked up a Buffalo Link Station NAS for home backup and I'd like to run it as my LMS/Music files. I have the drive hooked up to wireless router and it's showing up on my computer.

What do I need to do next?

shacky
2013-10-03, 21:03
Think I got this. NAS has LMS built in. I turned it on and player sees it. I was able to switch to it with ipeng on my iphone. This was easy. Let's see how it works tomorrow...

shacky
2013-10-12, 13:56
Well I thought I had it. I enabled LMS on my NAS. Though library looks a little funky - lot's of artists start with A.... - it won't play on my Touch. I get the Touch to connect to LMS on my NAS, it takes a while to load info, I choose song to play, it tries to start, then no sound while player shows it's playing for maybe 20 seconds then stops.

HELP

toby10
2013-10-13, 03:08
Tried just rebooting LMS?

Additionaly....
Had LMS completed it's scan? Anything else running on NAS? Tried deleting the LMS cache folder, reboot LMS, perform a wipe & rescan?

shacky
2013-10-13, 05:53
OK will try those.

shacky
2013-10-13, 13:38
OK I did the suggested actions. Still no play. It seems to be very slow pulling up info. Say choosing artist - it can take 10 min or more to pull up albums. Perhaps this Link Station is just underpowered to use as LMS especially given my files are mostly lossless?

w3wilkes
2013-10-13, 14:03
What kind of power does your NAS have? Sounds like LMS may need more than your NAS can give it.

aubuti
2013-10-13, 16:34
OK I did the suggested actions. Still no play. It seems to be very slow pulling up info. Say choosing artist - it can take 10 min or more to pull up albums. Perhaps this Link Station is just underpowered to use as LMS especially given my files are mostly lossless?
Lossless files that SB handles natively (FLAC and WAV) don't impose any additional processing load on your server. If your lossless files are ALAC that would be a different story.

What interface are you using to choose artist, etc? The LMS web interface is always slow with underpowered server hardware because it takes a surprising (to me) amount of computing resources to serve those web pages, although 10 minutes seems especially extreme. But using the Touch's touchscreen or IR remote should still be fairly quick unless you have a huge library. I would think that other interfaces such as iPeng would also be pretty quick.

Note that "quick" here is still likely to be slower than what you may be used to when using a regular computer for your server. Which LinkStation are you using?

garym
2013-10-13, 17:14
I assume you've waited for LMS to complete the library scan. On my old low power nas, a full scan of 50000+ files could take maybe 8 hours. And during a scan the web interface was extremely slow.

shacky
2013-10-13, 19:30
I am using Apple Lossless files. About 357GB total music folder. Yes I waited for it to complete - it took a couple hours.

LS is WXLAED 2TB set up RAID 1 so it's 1 TB.

I'm using iPeng or Web control to run the Touch.

Mnyb
2013-10-13, 22:07
You have a Touch , it was meant to have native alac support but it's off by default .
If you go to advanced settings file types you may turn it on .
It was some kind of bug that made them do this I don't really know why , it usually works .

Also if you have slow server don't browse by "music folder" it can be really slow use artist, album etc that depends on the scanned database.

aubuti
2013-10-14, 04:17
I am using Apple Lossless files.
That is likely to be a problem for the LinkStation, and may well be a dealbreaker. NASs like this are meant to serve files, not transcode audio.

I tried getting the specs for that model, but I couldn't find that exact model number. And is often the case with consumer grade NASs, even when I looked at the spec sheets on models with similar names on the Buffalo web site, it doesn't list the critical specs for this particular application, which are type and speed of CPU and amount of RAM. Would you happen to know those?

pinkdot
2013-10-14, 06:39
If you have a Buffalo Linkstation you proberbly has 64 mb memory (600MHz), that's not much. I would say it is to little. Transcoding is out of the question. I have a Synology DS110J, 128 mb (800MHz) and transcoding is not possible.

So be sure no other processes are running when playing around with LMS. What version of LMS are you running? To improve some speed, disable all plugins you do not need in LMS, like Itunes, Upnp.

You could post on the Buffalo forum about the combination of your NAS and LMS.

aubuti
2013-10-14, 06:51
If you have a Buffalo Linkstation you proberbly has 64 mb memory (600MHz)
Sorry, but that's an incorrect and not especially helpful generalization. There are many different models of Buffalo LinkStations, with varying RAM sizes and processors. I happen to have two OLD LinkStations, and both have 128MB RAM. One has a PowerPC CPU and the other an ARM. The OP appears to have a newer model, one that may have more computing resources, though still probably too feeble to transcode ALAC.

What would be useful would be to know the actual specs of the OP's specific NAS.