Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41nick
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Triode
    Sounds like several people are seeing this - can I check which OS and version people are using - is it specific to certain OSs or not?

If you have a local instance of softsqueeze or squeezeplay on the server machine, can you playback without buffering on that?

Triode

Many thanks for the quick response. My issue was using Ubuntu server 12.04 (64 bit). I have not tried with a soft player, but I did connect my radio via wired Ethernet which did not solve the problem.

However, since making this post, think that I have solved the issue. I noticed that the helper application was spotifydnoflac64, and I tried installing flac (apt-get install flac) and restarting. This appeared to ease the problem (rebuffering started after 3 minutes rather than about 15 seconds). So the other thing I did was to go to the Advanced -> File type menu, and put in the following settings:

FLAC -> native
    PCM -> disable

Since doing this, I have had no issues (only 30 minutes testing, but previously it was falling over in a few minutes)

Now I have it working, it seems a first rate plugin!

N

Comment

• Triode
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by 41nick
      However, since making this post, think that I have solved the issue. I noticed that the helper application was spotifydnoflac64, and I tried installing flac (apt-get install flac) and restarting. This appeared to ease the problem (rebuffering started after 3 minutes rather than about 15 seconds). So the other thing I did was to go to the Advanced -> File type menu, and put in the following settings:

FLAC -> native
      PCM -> disable

Since doing this, I have had no issues (only 30 minutes testing, but previously it was falling over in a few minutes)
      Sounds like you have enough bandwidth to stream flac but not uncompressed pcm from server to player. Glad this is now working.

Comment

• 41nick
        • Feb 2012

Its dropped out a couple of times since I made the last post (always a mistake to report "solved" too early).

I dont think that its a bandwidth issue. I am looking at the bandwidth usage on the wireless router, and with just spotify running, the usage is about 1Mbit/sec. If I try to copy a file from the server to my netbook (using NFS), the usage jumps up to about 20Mbit/sec so I don't feel bandwidth constrained. It feels to me like spotifyd64 isn't generating the data as fast as the squeezebox is consuming it.

I also suspect that it isn't the speed of the spotify feed to my house (I have had this issue with self test where I assume that the file is uploaded completely before its streamed). Also no problems using spotify on a pc. This would make me think that my server isn't powerful enough, (its quite old), but if I look at the process list, spotifyd is the "top" process, using 2% of the CPU. The system is showing 98% idle.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

N

Comment

• 41nick
          • Feb 2012

also, there is no change in bandwidth usage before, during or after a playback stall as it rebuffers...

Comment

• Triode
            • Apr 2005

also, there is no change in bandwidth usage before, during or after a playback stall as it rebuffers...
            Rebuffering just means the audio output is paused while more audio arrives - so I wouldn't expect this. It is definately worth testing with a local playback application on the server.

Comment

• Mnyb
              • Feb 2006

Do you have the ialibs32 or whats it called for 32bit compatibility on ubuntu installed ! a lot of transcoding and stuff won't work otherwise
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
              Bedroom/Office: Boom
              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• 41nick
                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Mnyb
                Do you have the ialibs32 or whats it called for 32bit compatibility on ubuntu installed ! a lot of transcoding and stuff won't work otherwise
                ia32-libs - yes

Comment

• 41nick
                  • Feb 2012

Rebuffering just means the audio output is paused while more audio arrives - so I wouldn't expect this. It is definately worth testing with a local playback application on the server.
                  My server is running Ubuntu Server, which has no GUI (or anything very much). Can you suggest a test to try on this system?

Comment

• 41nick
                    • Feb 2012

Ok -- I have installed squeezeslave and plugged some speakers into the server in the basement (had to unplug the freeze to do this).

I can now play music from my library fine, but when I try to play from spotify, I get the following error in the log:

[12-05-12 17:32:08.1175] Plugins::Spotify::ProtocolHandler::new (57) Spotify client not supported: squeezeslave

Comment

• Triode
                      • Apr 2005

Ok -- I have installed squeezeslave and plugged some speakers into the server in the basement (had to unplug the freeze to do this).

I can now play music from my library fine, but when I try to play from spotify, I get the following error in the log:

[12-05-12 17:32:08.1175] Plugins::Spotify::ProtocolHandler::new (57) Spotify client not supported: squeezeslave
                      Needs to be softsqueeze or squeezeplay - squeezeslave is not supported.

Can you instally on another machine and prove it works - then its something specific to this server?

Comment

• 41nick
                        • Feb 2012

Needs to be softsqueeze or squeezeplay - squeezeslave is not supported.

Can you instally on another machine and prove it works - then its something specific to this server?
                        Ok -- couldn't get softsqueeze to work with your plugin on the server -- it would play from the library ok, but spotify wouldn't play, and kept puttling the message "bad player (-5)" in the log

However, I installed squeezeserver (7.7) along with your plugin (2.2.5) on my laptop (linux mint 12) and everything appears fine. So I am assuming that there is some incompatibility with Ubuntu server 12.04.

Does this help?

N

Comment

• Triode
                          • Apr 2005

Ok -- couldn't get softsqueeze to work with your plugin on the server -- it would play from the library ok, but spotify wouldn't play, and kept puttling the message "bad player (-5)" in the log

However, I installed squeezeserver (7.7) along with your plugin (2.2.5) on my laptop (linux mint 12) and everything appears fine. So I am assuming that there is some incompatibility with Ubuntu server 12.04.

Does this help?

N
                          I'm running ubuntu server 12.04 - but the 32 bit version - can't see what is wrong...

Comment

• 41nick
                            • Feb 2012

I'm running ubuntu server 12.04 - but the 32 bit version - can't see what is wrong...
                            Thanks for looking

Comment

• Bafpund
                              • Jun 2012

Triode

However, since making this post, think that I have solved the issue. I noticed that the helper application was spotifydnoflac64, and I tried installing flac (apt-get install flac) and restarting. This appeared to ease the problem (rebuffering started after 3 minutes rather than about 15 seconds).
                              After having installed flac, did you reinstall the spotify plugin? I did and the helper app actually changed from spotifydnoflac64 to spotifyd64.
                              I ran the self test afterwards and it passed the 'streaming to player' part for the first time ever

I will play some music and keep you posted.

Comment

• Bafpund
                                • Jun 2012

My Duet has been playing all day without any interrupts.

My system: Logitech Media Server Version 7.7.3 on Ubuntu Server 12.04 64-bits.

Comment

Working...