Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qirex
    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by weresloth
    I concur completely. In fact, I feel we should organize ourselves and petition microwave oven manufacturers, as well as cordless phone companies and bluetooth device makers to stop selling their products, as they also operate in the same radio spectrum as wireless network devices.
    Also whoever is responsible for that big ball of gas in the sky that mercilessly broadcasts massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation at the earth for HOURS a day.

Comment

• Mnyb
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by qirex
      Also whoever is responsible for that big ball of gas in the sky that mercilessly broadcasts massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation at the earth for HOURS a day.
      Thats actually an unshielded fusion reactor !!
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
      Bedroom/Office: Boom
      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• mozart_puccini
        • Mar 2010

not too much to joke about

Well, I knew that I would triger such concersations and people starting to make fun of someone trying to be reasonable. I truly appreciate John's useful comments on how to switch off the WLAN devide, that is what I want to do.

BTW, let me give you my thinking concerning the discussion about microwave and all the other things which we are exposed to anyhow:

YES, we are exposed to microwavem YES, we receive UMTS and other micro waves all over. Compare micro wave to radio actrivity. A few waves dont kill you tha tis right, BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body. So the goal must not be to resignate and give up because there is too much radio out there, the way forward shoule be INTELLIGENT use of digital micro waves where we need them. Do I need WLAN in my childs room if I have a CAT7 Ethernet plug in her room? I hope you agree that its foolish to expose a child to more waves if a CAT7 is availabe. Thanks for all the jokes. Time will tell. I hope your jokes all remain jokes in 10 - 15 years from now. In that sense.

Comment

• NewBuyer
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by JohnSwenson
          The Touch DOES do a form of shutting down the wifi radio if that connection is not being used, but that does not necessarily completely disable the radio. If you have a USB or SD card plugged in they are being shared via samba and that might still be accessed via wifi from another device even if the touch's player is currently being fed from a wire. So the wifi is still there but not doing much. Every so often it keeps track of whats out there and if any body wants to connect.

The command I gave shuts it down completely, period.

John S.
          Hi John Swenson - I too am grateful for the extremely helpful information. Thanks!

To Mozart Puccini - Like you (and many others), I prefer to minimize these exposures in my home - there is nothing wrong with that, especially when children are involved. Try to have a sense of humor with some of the other posts around here - it's just a convenient way that some people express their opinion. After all, it is actually kind of an amusing simple line of reasoning, don't you agree? If something's popular, legal, and can't be perceived with the senses, then it clearly must be absolutely & exactly identical to all else that fits that same description, and therefore must "obviously" be perfectly ok and fine - right? I hope so!

Comment

• ghostrider
            • Jul 2008

I can't figure out why you would buy a touch for a five year old.

Comment

• Valentino
              • Mar 2008

Been having fun, have we?

Some people like to turn off radio transmitters they don't need. We don't know yet how well our specimen react to them just yet, so why not provide us waaaay too careful family men with an Off switch?

Comment

• jamesg
                • Jan 2010

The proverbial 'Off Switch' ... the wives of us family men are hoping for one too!

Comment

• JJZolx
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JohnSwenson
                  The Touch DOES do a form of shutting down the wifi radio if that connection is not being used, but that does not necessarily completely disable the radio. If you have a USB or SD card plugged in they are being shared via samba and that might still be accessed via wifi from another device even if the touch's player is currently being fed from a wire. So the wifi is still there but not doing much. Every so often it keeps track of whats out there and if any body wants to connect.
                  I'm pretty sure this is incorrect. The radio may still be on (I have no way to tell), but it's certainly not connected to the network. If you were to set up a Touch from scratch with a wired connection then it wouldn't even have credentials to connect wirelessly. Plus, the wireless and wired interfacs use the same MAC address, so I don't know how it would work in any case.

I just ran a little test, changing from a wireless to a wired connection (so the wireless credentials may still be stored somewhere). As soon as the Touch connected to the wired network it was immediately dropped from the list of connected clients shown on my wireless access point.

Comment

• jstraw
                    • Apr 2008

"BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body."

Well, alrighty then!

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jstraw
                      "BUT the waves accumulate like x-rays in your body."

Well, alrighty then!
                      yeah - I missed that bit... so waves accumulate do they... funny that, I thought they just passed through, like a... like a ... WAVE!

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!. This is total BS. What actually happens is that the chance of spontaneous cell mutation increases with increased exposure. It's a probability thing.
                      You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                      Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                      Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                      Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• erland
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
                        yeah - I missed that bit... so waves accumulate do they... funny that, I thought they just passed through, like a... like a ... WAVE!

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!.
                        But...music waves accumulate in my head and I consider my head to be a part of my body. At least I can often remember them later if they have passed through my head at least once.
                        :-)

However, I can't say I've so far remembered any WiFi waves...
                        Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                        Developer of many plugins/applets
                        Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• Valentino
                          • Mar 2008

Now I wonder what prolonged exposure to Wagner will do to me.

Comment

• jstraw
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Phil Leigh

X-rays do NOT "accumulate" - unlike mercury in the blood stream!. This is total BS. What actually happens is that the chance of spontaneous cell mutation increases with increased exposure. It's a probability thing.
                            "...and I (as a physisist)..."

I should have included that too, for added humor.

Comment

• NewBuyer
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by erland
                              ...However, I can't say I've so far remembered any WiFi waves...
                              That's because they killed those particular brain cells along the way. You shouldn't worry about it though, since you will of course forget all about this by tomorrow...
                              Last edited by NewBuyer; 2010-03-25, 04:17.

Comment

• dennis55
                                • Dec 2006

You will have an irresistible urge to parade down the Champs Elysee in a swaggering manner

Originally posted by Valentino
                                Now I wonder what prolonged exposure to Wagner will do to me.
                                Linn Products Akurate DS/3 Exakt
                                Bonnec Audiosysteme Timpano Preamplifier
                                Linn Products Akurate C4200 Dynamik
                                Totem Acoustics Forest Signature (Biwired/Amped)
                                SqueezeBox Radio's Original Black and a fancy RED one too :)
                                Asustor Lockerstor AS6602T/Minimserver/LMS
                                BubbleDS on Samsung Galaxy Note 20 5G
                                Linn LP12/Cirkus/Ekos2/Dynavector XX2 MK2/Linn Linto/ Lingo1

Comment

Working...