Is Fixing Last.FM Scrobbling a Priority?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeekiM
    • Sep 2008

Is Fixing Last.FM Scrobbling a Priority?

I believe this is a problem that has been around for a bit now, and I am pretty sure a bug has been logged for it...

Is there any ETA on when a scrobble fix is anticipated? Is it a priority?

I'm listening to a lot of music and not getting "credit" for it! (not that this is all that important...but hey...keeps life interesting)

Thanks
    SqueezeCenter Running on HP EX485 MediaSmart Server (WHS)
    - 2 SqueezeBox Controllers
    - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
    - 5 SqueezeBox Booms
  • Siduhe
    • Jun 2005

The bug has recently been marked up as "bug_meeting" which I guess means there's an issue which needs wider discussion...or at least the cause of the problem isn't straightforward.

If you haven't already, may be worth voting for it.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• andyg
      Former Squeezebox Guy
      • Jan 2006

If it's only broken in 7.4, the answer is no. If it somehow suddenly broke in 7.3.3 then yes, but I would suspect the problem may be on the Last.fm side.

Comment

• MikeekiM
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by andyg
        If it's only broken in 7.4, the answer is no. If it somehow suddenly broke in 7.3.3 then yes, but I would suspect the problem may be on the Last.fm side.
        Can anyone confirm? I am running the latest 7.4 WHS, and am willing to revert back to 7.3.3 if scrobbling is working fine...

(BTW, how does that work...when I downgrade to 7.3.3, if the boom and controller firmware needs to be downgraded too, will it do so?)
        - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
        - 5 SqueezeBox Booms

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by MikeekiM
          Can anyone confirm? I am running the latest 7.4 WHS, and am willing to revert back to 7.3.3 if scrobbling is working fine...

(BTW, how does that work...when I downgrade to 7.3.3, if the boom and controller firmware needs to be downgraded too, will it do so?)
          Yes it will do that
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
          Bedroom/Office: Boom
          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• MikeekiM
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mnyb
            Yes it will do that
            Thanks...now the big question... Can anyone confirm that 7.3.3 continues to scrobble correctly? I'm not going to make the move if it doesn't... Thanks!
            - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
            - 5 SqueezeBox Booms

Comment

• iPhone
              • Oct 2007

Thanks...now the big question... Can anyone confirm that 7.3.3 continues to scrobble correctly? I'm not going to make the move if it doesn't... Thanks!
              The bigger question should be, how far back do we need to drop on SC 7.4 to get Scrobbling back.

MeSue was still scrobbling a day ago, I only stopped just after coming back from the long weekend and upgrading. MeSue are you running an SC 7.4 and if so, what revision? So I believe some version of SC 7.4 should still scrobble correctly. Am I right and if so, anybody know what version I need to fall back to?
              iPhone
              Media Room:
              ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
              Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
              Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
              Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
              Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
              Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
              Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
              Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• MikeekiM
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by iPhone
                The bigger question should be, how far back do we need to drop on SC 7.4 to get Scrobbling back.

MeSue was still scrobbling a day ago, I only stopped just after coming back from the long weekend and upgrading. MeSue are you running an SC 7.4 and if so, what revision? So I believe some version of SC 7.4 should still scrobble correctly. Am I right and if so, anybody know what version I need to fall back to?
                Agreed...that is, in fact, the bigger question

And I have not been great about keeping my older builds... I hope someone is willing to make a previous build available to me...(once we figure out which build broke scrobbling)... Or better said, which one is the latest that does scrobble...
                - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
                - 5 SqueezeBox Booms

Comment

• iPhone
                  • Oct 2007

Agreed...that is, in fact, the bigger question

And I have not been great about keeping my older builds... I hope someone is willing to make a previous build available to me...(once we figure out which build broke scrobbling)... Or better said, which one is the latest that does scrobble...
                  I kept the old builds religiously until the SC auto-updating was started recently. I have an older one that should work, but its going to be from what, a month ago? I hope MeSue is running SC 7.4 and not updated so we can at least get her version number if the answer doesn't pop up in this thread. Maybe I should read Bugzilla to see what version the Bug was filled against.
                  iPhone
                  Media Room:
                  ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                  Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                  Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                  Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                  Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                  Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                  Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                  Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• Siduhe
                    • Jun 2005

I first noticed this with v26702 - I have a couple of older builds from the previous week so will try reverting back and seeing if that improves things.

My immediate thought was that this is a last.fm issue, but spotify and other programs that use the API are working fine. As I say in the bug report, the most relevant logs appear to show that SC thinks the track is still playing long after it has actually finished.
                    Who am I on LAST.FM?
                    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• jrichardson
                      QA Puppy -flame retardant
                      • Feb 2008

Update the Bug

James R.
                      QA - breaking things so you don't have to

Comment

• Siduhe
                        • Jun 2005

James, not sure if that last comment was directed to me, but all the details in my last post are the same I gave in the original bug report so not sure what you want me to do to update it.

I've also seen Michael's post and it isn't the case that I have the plugin switched off.

Whilst this isn't affecting everyone, it is affecting a number of people and it would be good to have some more suggestions about how we can try and debug this for you guys if you can think of any more beyond those I suggest in the bug report.
                        Who am I on LAST.FM?

Comment

• MikeekiM
                          • Sep 2008

Good news... I just installed 7.4 build 26010, and it is successfully scrobbling both local library plays, as well as music played via music services such as Rhapsody and Pandora...

I am pretty satisfied at this point, but if I find the time, I may incrementally upgrade to see which build breaks the scrobbling...

Not sure if this "proves" that this is a problem on the SC side, and not the last.fm side... But again, I am happy to report that I am now scrobble enabled!
                          - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
                          - 5 SqueezeBox Booms

Comment

• MikeekiM
                            • Sep 2008

Good news... I just installed 7.4 build 26010, and it is successfully scrobbling both local library plays, as well as music played via music services such as Rhapsody and Pandora...

I am pretty satisfied at this point, but if I find the time, I may incrementally upgrade to see which build breaks the scrobbling...

Not sure if this "proves" that this is a problem on the SC side, and not the last.fm side... But again, I am happy to report that I am now scrobble enabled!
                            Anyone who is willing to help... As I have already confirmed 26010, if you decide to do some troubleshooting, can you install a later build than what I have confirmed and report back...

Please be sure to test both ability to scrobble local library tracks, as well as music service tracks (e.g., Pandora, Slacker, Rhapsody, etc...).

Please confirm that it not only shows up on your last.fm page while it's playing, but that it also records it in your history because there are also problems where last.fm detects a track being played...but won't actually record it...
                            - 3 SqueezeBox Receiver
                            - 5 SqueezeBox Booms

Comment

• snarlydwarf
                              • Jul 2005

Last night's deb doesn't work for me.

When you say 26010 where are you getting it? Is that trunk or the sqllite branch?

(The debs and I believe other binaries are using the sqllite branch, so that narrows the bug down to that branch.)

See the bug report: SC is sending malformed submissions (missing Artist). Lastfm should error them for missing a required field, but it seems they don't.

Comment

Working...