Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avgjoe
    • Apr 2012

Request for Solaris package

I'm running Solaris 11 and have tried to get the latest LMS source built and running on my machine but keep running into problems. I followed a few of the solutions posted here but keep running into more and more. Is it possible for someone to create a package for Solaris for us?
  • chincheta0815
    • Jan 2011

Building a package for Solaris is not as easy as one might think.

The hardest part is to get all the modules compiled. Solaris 11 uses Perl 5.12.3 compiled with the Sun C Compilers. All perl modules and libraries needed by LMS work best when compiled with the GNU Compilers. This means that you might consider using your own Perl compiled with GCC... You see it is not that easy.

Another thing is that not all errors and issues are related to Solaris. It seems that there are some bugs in libmediascan as evoz4 wrote earlier... So there is some work in progress.

Anyway: I hope I can post some info on how to get LMS running on Solaris later on in a different post...
    LMS-8.2@raspberrypiOS. 1x Radio, 1x Duet, 1x PiCorePlayer, 1x Tube Radio with PiCorePlayer.

Comment

• avgjoe
      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by chincheta0815
      Building a package for Solaris is not as easy as one might think.

The hardest part is to get all the modules compiled. Solaris 11 uses Perl 5.12.3 compiled with the Sun C Compilers. All perl modules and libraries needed by LMS work best when compiled with the GNU Compilers. This means that you might consider using your own Perl compiled with GCC... You see it is not that easy.

Another thing is that not all errors and issues are related to Solaris. It seems that there are some bugs in libmediascan as evoz4 wrote earlier... So there is some work in progress.

Anyway: I hope I can post some info on how to get LMS running on Solaris later on in a different post...
      Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to your findings. I ran across a blog that had instructions for creating a Solaris 10 package for older (slimserver) builds. I assume it should be possible with LMS. Of course, you would include all dependencies.

At this point, I'd even be willing to take someone's exported zone :banghead:

Comment

• chincheta0815
        • Jan 2011

I uploaded some information and files for getting LMS working. I hope there aren't that much bugs in there. If there are any,let me know...

A lot of work for creating these files was done by evoz4. Without his efforts LMS won't work like it does now on Solaris.

For the files check here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...053#post700053
        LMS-8.2@raspberrypiOS. 1x Radio, 1x Duet, 1x PiCorePlayer, 1x Tube Radio with PiCorePlayer.

Comment

• avgjoe
          • Apr 2012

Originally posted by chincheta0815
          I uploaded some information and files for getting LMS working. I hope there aren't that much bugs in there. If there are any,let me know...

A lot of work for creating these files was done by evoz4. Without his efforts LMS won't work like it does now on Solaris.

For the files check here: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...053#post700053
          Wow! Thanks so much. I'll give this a go later today

Comment

• avgjoe
            • Apr 2012

I'm pretty close, got everything built and installed using the instructions provided. I'm now stuck at getting the service to start up properly

I'm getting

Code:
            svc:/application/lmsd:default (Logitech Media Server)
             State: maintenance since Tue Apr 10 01:24:02 2012
            Reason: Start method exited with $SMF_EXIT_ERR_CONFIG.
               See: http://sun.com/msg/SMF-8000-KS
               See: http://www.slimdevices.com/
               See: /var/svc/log/application-lmsd:default.log
            Impact: This service is not running.
            The lmsd service log shows:

Code:
            Apr 10 01:24:02 Enabled. 
            Apr 10 01:24:02 Executing start method ("/lib/svc/method/svc-lmsd start"). 
            Apr 10 01:24:02 svc.startd could not set context for method:  
            chdir: No such file or directory
            Apr 10 01:24:02 Method "start" exited with status 96. 
            Apr 10 01:25:02 Leaving maintenance because disable requested. 
            Apr 10 01:25:02 Disabled.
            I assume something is wrong with /lib/svc/method/svc-lmsd and it is not retrieving the service properties correctly. I'll try to work on it more tomorrow.

Comment

• chincheta0815
              • Jan 2011

I think I know what is going wrong with the SMF. I think I had a similar problem in the ancient times...

I assume that the user 'lmsd' that you added for running lmsd is not having a home directory.
              On my system I have all lms data in a directory called /export/lmsdata (which is lmsd's home dir). In that directory I have put a directory called 'cache' and other ones called 'repository' and 'playlists' (guess what they are for ;o) ). The only contain symlinks to the real data. I do this for oranizational purposes: Only nicely tagged files are symlinked and then scanned...

Anyway, add a homedir for the lms user and it shoudl start.

Maybe you run in another trouble because the service is not configured properly.

Some hints: set the path to the perl binary , set path to the lms-install-dir and the cachedir.
              You can get all config arg by typing 'svccfg -s lmsd listprop'

I hope this helps.

Comment

• avgjoe
                • Apr 2012

Thanks, chincheta0815. I created a home directory for the lmsd user and also created the cache directory.

I just got in!!! Thanks so much! It took a few hours of work, definitely not as easy as installing LMS on Ubuntu. Maybe Logitech will show us some love and build a pkg for us one day

Comment

• sebp
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by avgjoe
                  Maybe Logitech will show us some love and build a pkg for us one day
                  Hope springs eternal...

As an experienced *NIX systems administrator, I would recommend them to stay far away from Solaris, unless they have masochist tendencies.
                  Sun sure has great ideas and introduced useful stuff, but they missed the main point: they can call Solaris "the most advanced operating system on the planet" (yes, they dared!), from the sysadmin POV it's always been "the most freakin' nightmare on the planet".
                  If you ever spent days patching the OS, trying to compile full-featured PHP w/ SunStudio, or trying to get decent performance from Oracle DB 11g, you'll know what I'm takin' about...

If all you need is ZFS and LMS, you'd better look at FreeNAS.
                  Last.fm

Comment

• avgjoe
                    • Apr 2012

Hehe I feel a bit of your pain but I have to hand it to Sun for zones. I did all my testing in a zone and am so glad not to have to go back and clean the mistakes up

Comment

• 4mula1
                      • Jan 2006

Should this also work for Solaris 10? My Solaris 10 x86 box has been serving up my music for a few years and now it won't boot past Grub, and I have a fear that I might have to reinstall. I've been using SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 because a) it worked and b) I didn't have the time/inclination to try to figure out how to install the newer versions. That time may be upon me so I'm looking for a shortcut...

Comment

• avgjoe
                        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by 4mula1
                        Should this also work for Solaris 10? My Solaris 10 x86 box has been serving up my music for a few years and now it won't boot past Grub, and I have a fear that I might have to reinstall. I've been using SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 because a) it worked and b) I didn't have the time/inclination to try to figure out how to install the newer versions. That time may be upon me so I'm looking for a shortcut...
                        Yes, I think the same instructions would work for you. I would highly recommend leaving your current set up as is and creating a new zone to try the installation on just in case something goes wrong.

Comment

• chincheta0815
                          • Jan 2011

Me, too. It should work as long as you have the gnu-binutils installed. They could reside in, e.g. /usr/gnu/bin or so...

Comment

• evoz4
                            • Mar 2012

Repo available

Checkout the other thread:

Comment

Working...