Local software replacement for MySqueezeBox.com services (for OpenWrt router)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klingborg
    • May 2010

Hi there,

lately, more often than not, MySB.com is offline or having troubles.

I have two SqueezeBox Booms that I exclusively use for streaming internet radios, listening to podcasts and as alarm clocks.

I don't use them to listen to locally stored music, don't need exotic transcoding plugins, or use external services like Spotify, Pandora etc. I have a hi-end solution for that.

I am wondering if there exist a *super light weight* software replacement for the services provided by MySqueezeBox.com that I could install on the router itself, which is based on OpenWrt (Linux).

As far as I could find, there exist an OpenWrt package for SqueezeLite (software client to Logitech Media Server/SqueezeBox Server) but not the server itself. As for the server, LMS would be even an overkill for my use.

Any hint?

Thank
    KB
  • toby10
    • Jul 2007

I'm on the US East MySB.com andrun a SB Boom 24/7 on WiFi connected directly to MySB.com (no LMS running), and it streams fine and uninterrupted.

Sure it's not a network issue? Possibly the stations themselves doing frequent IP kicks? I know the EU MySB.com has been experiencing issues lately, if you happen to be on that MySB.com server.

Comment

• klingborg
      • May 2010

Hi Toby and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I am in Europe and connected to the EU MySB.com servers. Everything has been reasonable stable (or maybe just having issues when I was not using the service) until this summer, then I have experienced an escalation of issues.

I am sure it is not my network having troubles, as other entertainment systems/PCs do connect fine. Plus it's evidently MySB.com having issues as per the official service status updates via Twitter (https://mobile.twitter.com/mysqueezebox).

The reliability of the Booms is for me fundamental as I use them to kick myself out of the bed in the morning, and because of the aforementioned issues I have missed an alarm for the first time in 5 years a couple of days ago.

So, considering the small portion of services I need (retrieve list of favorites, settings, podcasts etc., then connect directly to these via internet), I am wondering if there exist a software replacement of MySB.com that I can install locally on my Linux router. If the router is off I have no internet, so no additional impact in losing the software "server" as well.
      Last edited by klingborg; 2016-11-06, 16:21. Reason: correction: "until" this summer

Comment

• pippin
        • Oct 2007

Logitech Media Server?
        ---
        learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
        Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
        at penguinlovesmusic.com
        New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• klingborg
          • May 2010

There exist no pre-compiled LMS package for OpenWrt. I could go down the path of trying to make it work (following instructions for making LMS work on Linux), but I fear the Perl-based thingy would be too hungry for resources to work properly on the router. Also, I don't need all the frills and thrills of LMS, as written in the first post.

What I am really after is a minimal server that mimics MySB.com and gives me the list of settings, presets, alarms and nothing else.

I have read some threads in the LMS section of this forum, and it appears there have been a number of random initiatives (SqueezePlug, Squeezed and others) implemented in various languages that all went into dead ends and none of them seem to be still maintained or even downloadable.

Comment

• OppfinnarJocke
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by pippin
            Logitech Media Server?
            As the OP said: overkill.

I can fully understand what the OP is after. I also exclusively use MySB.com for internet radio and Deezer. I have no locally stored music library. Something extremely light-weight replacement for MySB, that could serve the player(s) running in the router would be a great. Not having to start up a computer just to serve the player(s)...
            // OppfinnarJocke
            SqueezeBox Duet, Controller FW 7.7.3 r16662, Player FW 77
            Main use: Deezer and Radio Paradise through MySB.com

Comment

• klingborg
              • May 2010

You nailed it, OppfinnarJocke.

Comment

• wortgefecht
                • Sep 2014

Why overkill? No locally stored music or streaming services, just internet radio stations. So, get a Raspberry Pi for a few bucks, install LMS on a SD card (piCorePlayer or Max2Play) and hook the Pi to the router. That's it, LMS connects to TuneIn for your radio stations. That's set up in half an hour.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6 mit Tapatalk
                Current setup:
                • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
                • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
                • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Comment

• Mardler
                  • Jun 2012

So, basically, european squeezeboxes are now dead because the servers have been hacked.

Time to go Chromecast Audio.

Why no thread directly addressing the issue?

Btw, once mysqueezebox.com is down LMS won't see your device.

Comment

• pippin
                    • Oct 2007

Only 5 or 6 of them around (threads).

And only Squeezeboxes directly connected to MySB are down, with LMS they still work fine.
                    Why is LMS overkill? I'd have agreed 5 years ago but for today the system requirements are not outlandish anymore. For just services it would run just fine on a 5€ Pi zero.
                    ---
                    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                    at penguinlovesmusic.com
                    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• klingborg
                      • May 2010

> So, get a Raspberry Pi for a few bucks, install LMS on a SD card (piCorePlayer or Max2Play) and hook the Pi to the router.

This is something I considered, but the ideal for me would be to have the software embedded in the router itself, as it is running OpenWrt Linux.

> Btw, once mysqueezebox.com is down LMS won't see your device.

So LMS is not what I need. I need a minimal software replacement of mysqueezebox.com services to run my Booms independently from it.

Comment

• castalla
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by klingborg
                        > So, get a Raspberry Pi for a few bucks, install LMS on a SD card (piCorePlayer or Max2Play) and hook the Pi to the router.

This is something I considered, but the ideal for me would be to have the software embedded in the router itself, as it is running OpenWrt Linux.

So LMS is not what I need. I need a minimal software replacement of mysqueezebox.com services to run my Booms independently from it.
                        LMS does see the devices independent of mysb.com
                        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• kidstypike
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mardler

Nonsense, you can run LMS for your local music and Radio stations without mySqueezebox.com. Max2Play on a Pi makes this dead easy, just tick a box.
                          Attached Files
                          Pi5 .. pCP 9beta5 .. LMS 8.4 -- nomysqueezebox
                          Study - Pi2B .. S.M.S.L SU-1 .. Q Acoustics M20
                          Snug/TV .. DAC32 .. Audio Engine B2
                          Spares - 1xSBTouch, 1xSB3, 4xRPi, AVI DM5 speakers

Comment

• d6jg
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Mardler
                            So, basically, european squeezeboxes are now dead because the servers have been hacked.

Time to go Chromecast Audio.

Why no thread directly addressing the issue?

Total bollox.

1. It looks like a hardware failure with the Load Balancing equipment not a hack.
                            2. All Squeezeboxes will continue to work if you have a local LMS server. Spotify & Deezer etc won't work but radio will.
                            Jim

pCP9.0 / LMS 9.x storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
                            Living Room Joggler & Pi4/Khadas -> Onkyo TXNR686 -> Celestion F20s
                            Office Joggler & Pi3 -> Onkyo CRN775 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
                            Kitchen WiiM Pro -> Topping MX3 - B&W In Ceiling speakers
                            Bedroom (Bedside) Pi Zero+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
                            Bedroom (TV) & Bathroom SB Touch ->Denon AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s + Kef ceiling speakers
                            Guest Room Joggler > Denon RCFN8 -> Celestions F10s

Comment

• wortgefecht
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by klingborg

Well, as mentioned already by others, LMS doesn't need MSB.com at all.

Why on the router? What happens, if you get a new one? With a Pi for $5 you just plug it back into the new router.

But I do understand that fiddling with RPis and Linux is not for everyone.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6 mit Tapatalk
                              Current setup:
                              • EEEBox, Xubuntu 14.04, LMS 7.9, FLAC
                              • Duet > Pro-Ject DAC Box E > AKG Hearo 888 Titan (home office), Boom + Canton ASF 75 SC (master bedroom), Boom (master bathroom), 2 Radios (guest bathroom and garden deck), RPi3 + LibreELEC + XSqueeze > Samsung TV > NAD L53 > Mission 2.1 speakers (living room)
                              • Transporter > vintage Wega Modul 42V amp (42E equalizer, 42T tape deck + Thorens TD 160 Mk II turntable) > Quadral Vulkan Mk II (music room)

Comment

Working...