Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mnyb
    That's sounds reasonable what are the log settings for that ?

And yes there is an unknown factor here we readers are unaware of that surely would explain this when we know it.
    Enable logging for network.protocol.slimproto tpo DEBUG to get full values of "audg" message.

The audg can have a few version but it usually contains in order (amongst other data) the "old volume", "digital volume control", "preamp volume control" and "new volume".

To confirm setting of players are identical check server.prefs and there is a "group" of settings for each player. The volume realted settings are there as well as lots of other settings (in alphabetical order). The volume related settings to check could include analogOutMode, digitalVolumeControl, disableDac, preampVolumeControl, transitionType, transitionSmart, replayGainMode, remoteReplayGain. The "pitch", "bass", "treble" can be ignored as they are for SB1. AFAIK "polarityInversion" is not used by SB3.
    Last edited by bpa; 2017-04-09, 09:30.

Comment

• emalvick
      • Dec 2009

Reading all this, I can't help but think that this is just all due to a difference of hardware between the two players, potentially at the outputs.

The question of 100% and digital output, would only hold if the OP uses a digital output preferably to the same receiver, amp, etc.

Other outputs are not necessarily going to be equivalent because there would be a conversion within the device itself, which is apparently the problem.

However, I would ultimately say this is only a problem if you want to operate the devices at volumes where the differences become problematic (i.e. you are so high you can't compensate).

It is a bit of a curiosity, but unless one wants to disassemble the squeezeboxes to compare parts, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Comment

• Mnyb
        • Feb 2006

Originally posted by emalvick
        Reading all this, I can't help but think that this is just all due to a difference of hardware between the two players, potentially at the outputs.

The question of 100% and digital output, would only hold if the OP uses a digital output preferably to the same receiver, amp, etc.

Other outputs are not necessarily going to be equivalent because there would be a conversion within the device itself, which is apparently the problem.

However, I would ultimately say this is only a problem if you want to operate the devices at volumes where the differences become problematic (i.e. you are so high you can't compensate).

It is a bit of a curiosity, but unless one wants to disassemble the squeezeboxes to compare parts, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
        Thats the thing OP claims that the 100% volume at the same digital input at the same DAC differs between two players digital output ?? Some key info is missing. Or did he realy test at the same input ? even digital inputs can have gain in HT recivers for example
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
        Bedroom/Office: Boom
        Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
        Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
        iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
        (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
        server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• mushupork
          • Mar 2017

MACS: I confirmed all MAC addresses are 00:04:20:xx:xx:xx.

Simple test: Last night I connected the two SB3s that I had connected to the test LMS to the original LMS running the current software version. Both players automatically did a firmware update to firmware 137

I then placed them side by side physically.
          Via the LMS I synchronized them to play a single long music file.
          I also set each to "output level is fixed at 100%".
          I physically connected a simple outboard DAC to my amp.
          I then moved the toslink cable from one player to the other several times to listen for differences.

There is a significant volume difference between the units even when connected to an outboard DAC and when connected via the same cable to the same input on the amp. Without the ability to adjust the volume I can't measure the difference except to say it is significant

I believe this isolates the units themselves as there were no other hardware devices in the chain.
          I believe this rules out software settings too since both untis were synchronized playing the same file from the same server.

I don't know how to enable debug logging on these (slimproto?). Even if I did, if the logfiles say the volumes are the same but they are not audibly the same this doesn't tell me anything. Of course if the log shows differences that is another story - but would it tell me what to change to make the units sound the same?

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by mushupork
            I don't know how to enable debug logging on these (slimproto?). Even if I did, if the logfiles say the volumes are the same but they are not audibly the same this doesn't tell me anything. Of course if the log shows differences that is another story - but would it tell me what to change to make the units sound the same?
            WebUI Settings/Advanced/Logging/network.protocol.slimproto to DEBUG and click Apply.

If log shows a difference then the problem is definitively software and not hardware. Other logs would be used to trace the problem back to origin.

Comment

• onliner
              • Aug 2017

i wil try this when I get home from work.
              Last edited by onliner; 2018-01-25, 14:34.
              best toilet 2017-2018

Comment

Working...