Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    So I thought I should start afresh, having probably mucked something up. I downloaded everything again starting with empty folders.

Imagine my surprise when having entered "PERL_524=/opt/perl-5.24.3-LMS/bin/perl5.24.3 ./buildme.sh &> buildme.log" I find it has built 5.26 (in .../build/arch/). I assume when I cloned slimserver-vendor I got a new one and the buildme did something different.

Michael has now released LMS for 5.26 so I'm up and running again, but I would still quite like to get this working if I can, for protection against future changes.

Is there something else I may have done wrong? I had assumed that command would do the job.
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Alternatively Minimserver & Upplay to same & to upmpdcli/mpd PC renderers.
    Squeezelite to Meridian USB Explorer DAC to PC speakers/headphones.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

Quote Originally Posted by PasTim View Post
    So I thought I should start afresh, having probably mucked something up. I downloaded everything again starting with empty folders.

Imagine my surprise when having entered "PERL_524=/opt/perl-5.24.3-LMS/bin/perl5.24.3 ./buildme.sh &> buildme.log" I find it has built 5.26 (in .../build/arch/). I assume when I cloned slimserver-vendor I got a new one and the buildme did something different.

Michael has now released LMS for 5.26 so I'm up and running again, but I would still quite like to get this working if I can, for protection against future changes.

Is there something else I may have done wrong? I had assumed that command would do the job.
    I would think this has happened as the ./buildme.sh script has changed since the first post in this thread to include building for perl 5.26 if it already exists on the host system. See https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...PAN/buildme.sh lines lines 287 to 324. The command you used may have set the variable PERL_524, but if the file ""/usr/bin/perl5.26.0" exists on your host, the script logic sets the variable PERL_526 to this path and then the variable PERL_BIN ends up with the contents of PERL_526 and not the contents of PERL_524.

If you want to build LMS against an earlier version of perl you've built in /opt then you need to alter the ./buildme.sh script. I would think commenting out lines 296 to 306 should work if your case.
    Last edited by Krisbee; 2017-10-25 at 07:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisbee View Post
    I would think this has happened as the ./buildme.sh script has changed since the first post in this thread to include building for perl 5.26 if it already exists on the host system. See https://github.com/Logitech/slimserv...PAN/buildme.sh lines lines 287 to 324. The command you used may have set the variable PERL_524, but if the file ""/usr/bin/perl5.26.0" exists on your host, the script logic sets the variable PERL_526 to this path and then the variable PERL_BIN ends up with the contents of PERL_526 and not the contents of PERL_524.

If you want to build LMS against an earlier version of perl you've built in /opt then you need to alter the ./buildme.sh script. I would think commenting out lines 296 to 306 should work if your case.
    Thanks.

Indeed so. I was just getting round to trying to understand the script (not being really up to speed on the syntax).
    LMS 7.9.1 on VortexBox Midi box, Xubuntu 17.10, FLACs 16->24 bit, 44.1->192kbps. Touch & EDO. 2nd Touch standard.
    LMS plugin UPnP/DLNA Bridge to MF M1 CLiC (to A308CR amp & ESLs) & Marantz CR603 UPnP renderers.
    Wireless Xubuntu 17.10 laptop firefox/upplay or Android 'phone with Squeeze-Commander/BubbleUPnP controls LMS/Minimserver.

I've sorted out the buildme.sh script and now have built with 5.24.3.

I still get:
    Code:
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]:   Image::Scale:
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]: Image::Scale object version 0.11 does not match bootstrap parameter 0.08 at /opt/perl-5.24.3-LMS/lib/5.24.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 210.
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]: Compilation failed in require at (eval 98) line 1.
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 98) line 1.
    The code comments don't help me, and I don't know any perl.

I've sorted out the buildme.sh script and now have built with 5.24.3.

I still get:
    Code:
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]:   Image::Scale:
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]: Image::Scale object version 0.11 does not match bootstrap parameter 0.08 at /opt/perl-5.24.3-LMS/lib/5.24.3/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/DynaLoader.pm line 210.
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]: Compilation failed in require at (eval 98) line 1.
    Oct 25 15:44:41 vortexbox logitechmediaserver[7275]: BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 98) line 1.
    The code comments don't help me, and I don't know any perl.
    That's a bit strange, it looks like an issue in the build script itself.
    Modify the rsync in buildme.sh as follows:
    Code:
    #rsync -amv --include='*/' --include='*.so' --include='*.bundle' --include='autosplit.ix' --exclude='*' $PERL_BASE/lib/perl5/*/auto $PERL_ARCH/$ARCH/
    rsync -amv --include='*/' --include='*.so' --include='*.pm' --include='*.bundle' --include='autosplit.ix' --exclude='*' $PERL_BASE/lib/perl5/$ARCH $PERL_ARCH/
    Rebuild Image::Scale:
    Code:
    PERL_524=PERL_524=/opt/perl-5.24.3-LMS/bin/perl5.24.3  ./buildme.sh Image::Scale
    Check you have this file:
    Code:
    build/arch/5.24/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Image/Scale.pm
    and copy the modules (or just the build/arch/5.24/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Image folder) again to /opt/...

Quote Originally Posted by Roland0 View Post
    That's a bit strange, it looks like an issue in the build script itself.
    Modify the rsync in buildme.sh as follows:
    Code:
    #rsync -amv --include='*/' --include='*.so' --include='*.bundle' --include='autosplit.ix' --exclude='*' $PERL_BASE/lib/perl5/*/auto $PERL_ARCH/$ARCH/
    rsync -amv --include='*/' --include='*.so' --include='*.pm' --include='*.bundle' --include='autosplit.ix' --exclude='*' $PERL_BASE/lib/perl5/$ARCH $PERL_ARCH/
    Rebuild Image::Scale:
    Code:
    PERL_524=PERL_524=/opt/perl-5.24.3-LMS/bin/perl5.24.3  ./buildme.sh Image::Scale
    Check you have this file:
    Code:
    build/arch/5.24/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Image/Scale.pm
    and copy the modules (or just the build/arch/5.24/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/Image folder) again to /opt/...
    Having removed the extra PERL_524= on your build instruction things progressed and it now works! Thank you very much indeed. I rather feared I was never quite going to make it!

I'm very puzzled as to what your change does. Scale.pm is still dated Oct 7 2015. I also notice that .../build/5.24 exists, but I'm not instructed to copy that. Ah well, I assumed that all is as per instructions (ie copy ...build/arch to .../arch), and proceeded, and it now runs.

Being of a slightly suspicious bent I've checked I'm running an older LMS that the one released today (I am). and that my startup script definitely runs that version.
    Code:
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1508251793 @ Tue Oct 17 19:02:38 UTC 2017
    Hostname: vortexbox
    Server IP Address: 192.168.1.12
    Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.24.3 - x86_64-linux-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 1
    Again, thanks very much indeed. What would we all do without you guys?

I've also now managed to produce an init.d script that works both for the current LMS and for the self-built version, using a PATH defined in /etc/default/logitechmediaserver, so it's easy to switch as needed in future.

I had to copy squeezeboxserver and squeezeboxserver_safe from /usr/sbin and change the 1st line in squeezeboxserver to use the older perl version. I also copied squeezeboxserver-scanner and squeezeboxserver-cleanup (I don't know if the latter is ever used) and change the 1st line similarly.

My init.d script is slightly tweaked from standard, but if anyone is interested I'll post it here.

I'm very puzzled as to what your change does. Scale.pm is still dated Oct 7 2015.
    Binary perl modules have a non-binary part (usually .pm files) as well, and these two have to be the same version. The LMS package supplies the non-binary parts (in the CPAN folder), however, if a binary module built by buildme.sh is a different version, the non-binary part needs to be installed as well. buildme.sh should therefore copy this non-binary part to build/arch/, which it does for e.g. DBI, but not for Image::Scale, so one ends up with v0.08 of the non-binary part (CPAN/Image/Scale.pm from 2011) and v0.11 of the binary part.
    My modification ensures all new .pm files are copied to build/arch/

Binary perl modules have a non-binary part (usually .pm files) as well, and these two have to be the same version. The LMS package supplies the non-binary parts (in the CPAN folder), however, if a binary module built by buildme.sh is a different version, the non-binary part needs to be installed as well. buildme.sh should therefore copy this non-binary part to build/arch/, which it does for e.g. DBI, but not for Image::Scale, so one ends up with v0.08 of the non-binary part (CPAN/Image/Scale.pm from 2011) and v0.11 of the binary part.
    this explains a lot! I suspect the Audio::Scan version issues, seen repeatedly in the past, might stem from the same or similar issue.
    Thanks for addressing/fixing.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ge Ba; 2017-10-26 at 09:07.
    Server: LMS 7.9.1-166 Synology @ Sept 04 2017 on DS216Play. SOX mansr ARMv7 & C-3PO. Players: SB Radio, Freecom MusicPal. Multiroom HiFi: Denon AVR-X4000, AVM M30, Nubert NuLine/NuVero 5.1+2

Thanks - I think I now understand a little more.