Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

2TB HD Compatibility

I'm planning on moving my XP based media server over to a Vortexbox. I have an old Dell but discovered that it won't handle my 2TB drive. There are lot's of used computers out there but I'm concerned about compatibility with the 2TB drive after seeing many comments about this size drive not being recognized, etc. Any advice on what to avoid and which brands/models are compatible would be appreciated. I realize that recent or relatively new machines will probably be OK, but it's often hard to determine this when looking at used or refurb units.

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    I'm planning on moving my XP based media server over to a Vortexbox. I have an old Dell but discovered that it won't handle my 2TB drive. There are lot's of used computers out there but I'm concerned about compatibility with the 2TB drive after seeing many comments about this size drive not being recognized, etc. Any advice on what to avoid and which brands/models are compatible would be appreciated. I realize that recent or relatively new machines will probably be OK, but it's often hard to determine this when looking at used or refurb units.
    keep in mind that the standard vortexbox install assumes an internal HDD rather than an external drive. Is this 2TB drive an internal drive? If so, should work fine. I have Vorteboxes with internal 3TB and 4TB drives.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    keep in mind that the standard vortexbox install assumes an internal HDD rather than an external drive. Is this 2TB drive an internal drive? If so, should work fine. I have Vorteboxes with internal 3TB and 4TB drives.
    It's an internal drive. I saw a low profile HP for sale that looked interesting but the specs say support for 80 to 500GB for the HDD. I then did some searching and came across a number of comments about compatibility/support of larger drives with the motherboard, etc. Just wanted to avoid buying a machine I can't use...have several already!
    Are you using all pre-built VB appliances?

Quote Originally Posted by jfo View Post
    It's an internal drive. I saw a low profile HP for sale that looked interesting but the specs say support for 80 to 500GB for the HDD. I then did some searching and came across a number of comments about compatibility/support of larger drives with the motherboard, etc. Just wanted to avoid buying a machine I can't use...have several already!
    Are you using all pre-built VB appliances?
    yes, mine are prebuilt from small green computer.
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify