Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Call for testers! Daphile

Daphile is a audiophile class music server & player OS – targeted to dedicated headless PC.

Daphile is based on the open source Squeezebox Server, SqueezePlay and Linux. This is the first public test release.

Features
    - Headless music server
    - Bitperfect and gapless playback of various audio formats up to 192kHz/24bit
    - Automatic configuration of music player for each audio device
    - Multiplayer support (eg. multiple USB DACs)
    - CD ripping with automatic metadata tagging and cover art
    - Easy configuration and installation through the web interface
    - WiFi hotspot support (if compatible hardware exists)
    - Software update via web interface
    - Whole system image ISO-file is below 200MB

The external file server use as a music source is not yet supported in this release but it will soon be (cifs,nfs). The USB drive use is currently automatic read-only usage, no support in the web interface.

Daphile is available at http://www.daphile.com
    You can find instructions in the attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kipeta; 2013-07-09 at 10:03.

I was reminded about the terms of the Sourceforge site and I think I have withdraw the project from there before I have studied the terms more carefully. I think I was a bit too eager to get this shared. I'll come back with new information later but I think it will be delayed due to the vacation plans.

Don't feel obligated to answer this at the moment, feel free to answer via PM if you want to answer me now but don't want to post the answers in public yet.

Do I understand correctly that Daphile is an OS preconfigured to make a computer a headless music server ? Kind of similar to VortexBox ?

Do you include the standard version of Squeezebox Server or have you patched/added anything to make it better ?

Which Squeezebox Server version will be included ?

Which Linux distribution is it based around ? (I'm assuming it's based on Linux?)

Will it be a free or commercial product ?

I have the possibility to try it both in virtual machines, an old Intel laptop and I also have a Zbox AD04 (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-ad04.html) which might be suitable as a test environment unless a CDROM is required for it to work.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you have accomplished.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    Don't feel obligated to answer this at the moment, feel free to answer via PM if you want to answer me now but don't want to post the answers in public yet.

Do I understand correctly that Daphile is an OS preconfigured to make a computer a headless music server ? Kind of similar to VortexBox ?
    I think the basic idea is pretty much the same.

Do you include the standard version of Squeezebox Server or have you patched/added anything to make it better ?

Which Squeezebox Server version will be included ?
    The test release included the server version 7.8.0-r1372135249 and I have only couple of minor patches.

Which Linux distribution is it based around ? (I'm assuming it's based on Linux?)
    It's based on Gentoo (if it can be said so). The basic idea is more like an embedded image that is mostly built using Gentoo ebuilds. The whole image is updated, not the single packages.

Will it be a free or commercial product ?
    Currently I think that yes - to both. But I don't give any promises.

I have the possibility to try it both in virtual machines, an old Intel laptop and I also have a Zbox AD04 (http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-ad04.html) which might be suitable as a test environment unless a CDROM is required for it to work.

Anyway, looking forward to see what you have accomplished.

Daphile test release is available again

Daphile is now available at www.daphile.com

Hi

Booted Daphile on a VM. Want to install on to disk. According to the instructions in the PDF I should be able to do this by

"Daphile installation to an other drive is possible via the web interface in the ôSettings
    > System Firmwareö section."

I can't seem to find this option. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Name:  Daphile - System Firmware.jpg
Views: 8415
Size:  10.7 KB

Otherwise everything looks very clean and simple. Really liking it so far

I guess you have a bug. I must have accidentally disabled the whole System Firmware section when using the live mode (I was suppose to disable only the updating).

I'm not sure if I'm able to fix it before the weekend. I'm on a short trip and having only my Nexus 7 with me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I managed to fix the installation bug. New image is at http://daphile.com/firmware/testing/. I didn't link it to the home page yet just in case that something went wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

New test version is available

CHANGES
    - New feature: Support (read-only) for external file servers (NFS, CIFS, ssh and ftp)
    - Added configuration for internal and USB disks
    - Some bug fixes and minor changes.

Download from www.daphile.com or update previous version via web interface.

Any feedback is warmly welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by kipeta View Post
    Any feedback is warmly welcomed!
    Running the ISO on VMPlayer 5.0 on Windows 7. Unable to get to the "Setting Menu" using Firefox or Chrome -- request just "spins"
    -MrD
    ===================
    1 Transporter
    2 Squeezeboxen v3
    1 Squeezebox v1
    1 SliMP3
    Linux x86-64 SlimServer 6.5.1