Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Boom suddenly died

Hi there,

My Boom was working quite happily the other evening. I unplugged it went I went to bed (wish I hadn't) and next morning it simply will not boot up. Looking at other threads, this seems to be a commonish problem.

Symptoms:
    * No display
    * No sound
    * No presence on the network (as seen by logging into my broadband router) with either Wireless or Wired connection
    * Panel buttons are illuminated

What I've tried so far:
    1. Holding down "+" (on panel and remote) whilst power cycling (unplugging the power lead from the back and plugging it back in again)
    2. Holding down "1" (on panel) whilst power cycling (unplugging the power lead from the back and plugging it back in again)
    3. Steps 1 and 2 above with a wired and wireless connections to my router
    4. Opened up the Boom and measured voltages around the power plug - 12V, so that seems fine
    5. Steps 1, 2 above with the internal WiFi module disconnected (I've read elsewhere that faulty WiFi modules can stop the SB Classic from booting)
    6. Re-soldered any dogdy looking joints
    7. Disconnected and connected the memory / clock retention capacitor whilst it was powered-off.

Sadly, no joy!

I've then started playing with Net-UDAP tool (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...iguration-tool). Other threads show this tool can be used to configure a Boom.
    I've tried this with a Wired connection from the laptop (running Window 7) to router and the router to Boom but the Discover command doesn't find anything.
    I've tried this with an Ethernet cross-over cable directly between the laptop the Boom, but no joy. Suspect this won't work without fixing an IP address on the Laptop, but don't what to try. Not sure if this is a supported configuration or not.

I'll keep experimenting, but thought I'd share what I've tried so far to see if anyone else has any ideas. The Boom is a great a piece and I'd like to get it working again without spending ´┐Ż150 on eBay for a "new" one.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Steve
    Last edited by steveg71; 2013-06-22 at 09:42.

Brief Signs of Life

Just replying to my own post.

I left the Boom plugged in for a while (about an hour) and it eventually flashed up "MAC NOT SET" on the display. It then responded to Pressing "+" whilst power cycling and allowed me to set it up. It then worked perfectly. However I then unplugged it to move it to a new location and I'm back to square one. Sadly I haven't been able to recreate this.

So, there's nothing obviously wrong with the hardware, it can and has worked. It's very frustrating.

Next step, to replace the memory retention capacitor - http://www.maplin.co.uk/double-layer...98185#overview

I'll keep you posted. Any thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Steve

The SB3 has been known to have issues where it would appear dead and could be brought back to life by removing the wireless card (it was an option originally). The Boom is based on the SB3 architecture. Perhaps you can remove the wireless card and see if it comes back to life. It may just need the card reseated. Somewhere in these forums is a link to a paper that shows how to disassemble the Boom.

It could very well be that the card just has to be reseated.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just tried that and sadly it hasn't made any difference.

I've also now replaced the memory / clock retention capacitor and again, alas, no difference.

So just why did it tease me by coming back to life briefly the other day?

Refusing to give up, but not sure what to try next.

Steve

It's working again (for now)

Well, it's now back in service.

I was just about to box it up and ebay it for spares when I powered it on for one last time. I then got distracted and left it powered up. Came back to it about 30ish minutes later and the screen said "Factory Reset...". Wobbling the power plug (at the mains, not the unit) seemed to cause the screen to flicker. I then took the international adapter bit off the power supply (the piece with the UK 3 PIN plug on it) and bent the contacts up a bit so they made a better connection.

I then plugged it back in again, pressing "+" on the remote for 10 to 20 seconds. Nothing! However a couple (2 or 3) minutes later, "Factory Reset..." appeared on the screen. I repeated this and the same thing again, it took several minutes for the screen to go from blank to "Factory Reset...".

Anyway, it's now working. Although I haven't dared power it off again!

The only thing left to do is to replace the ribbon cable from the main board to the front button board. I've dismantled it one too many times and the end frayed too much to be reconnected. So no front buttons currently, but the remote works fine as does the iPeng app. Fortunately it can be setup just using the remote.

It could all be coincidence, but if anyone else has the same problem, give the above a try.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks for the update. Much help for me!

Hello,

I have what looks like the exact same issue. Until now, it was working for me to keep the Boom plugged a full night and eventually it was correctly started. Unfortunately, this is not the case anymore.

I've not disassemble anything (yet) on my side. Any news here what could be the problem ? It looks like a common issue.

Kasyc

Wifi or not - It's happening to me now

Hi,

Yesterday I bought a secondhand boom to fit the master bedroom boom we already have, to be used as a pair of speakers (1 boom left and 1 boom right)
    Setup went fine, superdatetime configuration as well.
    While playing, the newly adopted machine was displaying the analog VU meter nicely.
    From my LMS webinterface I instructed the new pair of speakers to bring me stereo dire straits at 320kBps mp3. What a beauty.

I had to leave home for a short time and did not turn off the happily maried couple of Booms, but when I returned home, the new - well, second hand - machine was showing nothing any more.
    Unplugged it, and plugged it in again.
    Result: A boom that gives bright white buttons and doesn't do anything.

What a shame.

(Note: the display was showing a bit worn out and with some horizontal lines a bit more shiny than other horizontal lines, don't think that it is related, but mention it, just in case)

What would be your advice to progress.
    (I already tried leaving it 'on', 'off' and 'on after +reset' , but the diplay just doesn't show anything, and the machine is not visible on the network either.)
    Last edited by Berns; 2015-01-25 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Berns View Post
    Hi,

Yesterday I bought a secondhand boom to fit the master bedroom boom we already have, to be used as a pair of speakers (1 boom left and 1 boom right)
    Setup went fine, superdatetime configuration as well.
    While playing, the newly adopted machine was displaying the analog VU meter nicely.
    From my LMS webinterface I instructed the new pair of speakers to bring me stereo dire straits at 320kBps mp3. What a beauty.

I had to leave home for a short time and did not turn off the happily maried couple of Booms, but when I returned home, the new - well, second hand - machine was showing nothing any more.
    Unplugged it, and plugged it in again.
    Result: A boom that gives bright white buttons and doesn't do anything.

What a shame.

(Note: the display was showing a bit worn out and with some horizontal lines a bit more shiny than other horizontal lines, don't think that it is related, but mention it, just in case)

What would be your advice to progress.
    (I already tried leaving it 'on', 'off' and 'on after +reset' , but the diplay just doesn't show anything, and the machine is not visible on the network either.)

Swop over the power supply?

Boom suddenly died

Hello Berns,

It resets? If it does, something still works.

Or maybe you tried reset, but nothing happened.

Take the power supply from the working boom and try that one.

David
    On Jan 25, 2015 10:10 AM, "Berns" <Berns.6ra5un (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:

>
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yesterday I bought a secondhand boom to fit the master bedroom boom we
    > already have, to be used as a pair of speakers (1 boom left and 1 boom
    > right)
    > Setup went fine, superdatetime configuration as well.
    > While playing, the newly adopted machine was displaying the analog VU
    > meter nicely.
    > From my LMS webinterface I instructed the new pair of speakers to bring
    > me stereo dire straits at 320kBps mp3. What a beauty.
    >
    > I had to leave home for a short time and did not turn off the happily
    > maried couple of Booms, but when I returned home, the new - well, second
    > hand - machine was showing nothing any more.
    > Unplugged it, and plugged it in again.
    > Result: A boom that gives bright white buttons and doesn't do anything.
    >
    > What a shame.
    >
    > (Note: the display was showing a bit worn out and with some horizontal
    > lines a bit more shiny than other horizontal lines, don't think that it
    > is related, but mention it, just in case)
    >
    > What would be your advice to progress.
    > (I already tried leaving it on, off and on after +reset question, but
    > the diplay just doesn't show anything, and the machine is not visible on
    > the network either.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > Berns's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=60795
    > View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=99020
    >
    >