Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mnyb
    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by pippin
    Kind of in-between. Currently, for the Squeezeboxes, it's an Applet.
    Custom firmware is difficult, lots of proprietary stuff in there that's actually needed so adding to the standard firmware is easier as long as that one still works.

No, it's in the API/on the client side. It might be possible to simulate that, similar to LMS exposing the Squeezeboxes as UPnP devices but me thinks at least syncing will be difficult with such a scenario (but who knows... if the latency is known).

Well, not anyone. We can't make dumb devices more intelligent. But our system is simple enough to fit into a lot of devices.

Well, our "server protocol" is very different from what the Squeezeboxes do. We do NOT have the intelligence in the server. That's the one fundamental decision we have made, we believe that embedded devices these days are powerful enough to be able to have the controller in a controller and to be able to give the player some kind of autonomy.
    This gets us around the problem that the server always needs to be present and reachable, at all times. A problem haunting the Squeezeboxes when you don't run the server 24/7.

It's pretty much what Logitech _should_ have done for the Smart Radio but it involves a much bigger change in architecture.
    It's actualy promising looking forward to see whatever you got , My curiosity is mostly about what use I would have of my current players . But that's transient what really matters is the almost 40000 tracks music collection and associated apps and services
    If I can load an app on my touches I'm happy . What about a boom ? You may answer that later when your ready to release something tangible .

Regarding playlist , I do like the smart mix plugin especially the feature to "never stop the music" much better than mip and sugarcube in my book .And one of the more apriciated plugins in my use is the simple bandcamp plugin that mherger put together sometimes it does not have to be very sofisticated to get a good result , that probably the really hard part to make things apparently " obvius " when it's not .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• epoch1970
      • Apr 2008

We do NOT have the intelligence in the server. That's the one fundamental decision we have made, we believe that embedded devices these days are powerful enough to be able to have the controller in a controller and to be able to give the player some kind of autonomy.
      Sure. But that's not the issue.
      A server-centric architecture advantage lies in end-device lifecycle. I know iPeng still runs on "old" iOS4 devices. That's a laudable rarity, but how old is that exactly ? I was stunned when, by SBS v6.0, the text UI on the almost decade-old ip3k devices was improved (smoother scrolling). I also remember the addition of alarm capability to the SB3 when the Boom was introduced.
      There is a discrepancy between hi-fi gear evolution and cpu evolution. Prices do not halve or performance double at the same rate in each domain. And this creates planned obsolescence, which leads to balkanization (?) when users stop following the trend.

I am not exactly a Luddite. I am simply stating that I wouldn't see the point in buying new hifi gear at the same rate I buy computing gear; and that a stroke of genius like the SB3 is doesn't come by every year. Nor even shall.

Anyways. A powerful, well documented (ahem…) API will probably come to the rescue.
      2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

• garym
        • May 2008

Excellent news. I've subscribed to the site and I'm happy to beta test when the time comes. If the project needs starter funds, happy to invest via something like kickstarter, etc.
        Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
        Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
        Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
        The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
        Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
        Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• pippin
          • Oct 2007

Sure. But that's not the issue.<br />
          A server-centric architecture advantage lies in end-device lifecycle. I know iPeng still runs on "old" iOS4 devices. That's a laudable rarity, but how old is that exactly ? I was stunned when, by SBS v6.0, the text UI on the almost decade-old ip3k devices was improved (smoother scrolling). I also remember the addition of alarm capability to the SB3 when the Boom was introduced.<br />
          There is a discrepancy between hi-fi gear evolution and cpu evolution. Prices do not halve or performance double at the same rate in each domain. And this creates planned obsolescence, which leads to balkanization (?) when users stop following the trend.
          Oh, I still believe we do cover a lot of that.
          You can still add content without touching the actual devices. You will not see new software functionality but here the old SBs have been very limited, too. There is a reason why they have no support for AAC, ALAC or Spotify built into them and the reason is that their hardware was too limited for this. All compensation was on the server side and that kind of content conversion would work for us, too.

Your font example probably won't, that's true, but I'm pretty sure that's more or less the ONLY example you will find where there really was a firmware upgrade adding real device functionality late in the process and nobody will hinder a device manufacturer using ickStream to still provide software updates for his devices after 10 years. And yes, the SBs required SB updates for new functionality, too. Actually I'm almost sure the old SBs will actually be the FIRST devices no longer supported because other than the new ones with their open architecture the community will not be able to provide updates for them. Next time Rhapsody changes their encryption it will stop working on the old devices, I'm sure....
          ---
          learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
          Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
          at penguinlovesmusic.com
          New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• jo-wie
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Peter314
            Not sure about the ickstream name though. Maybe it sounds better to German ears?!
            I would say it sounds like the idiom for I stream when you live in Berlin.
            2 * Classic, 2 * Boom, piCorePlayer on Raspberry PI II B with HifiBerry attached to Objective 2 ( Head 'n' HiFi KIT) with Beyerdynamic DT880, LMS 7.9 on Odroid U3 with Max2Play, 500GB USB HD, controlled by Squeezepad or iPeng on iPad and Orange Squeezepad on Nexus 5x, CD -> FLAC = dbpoweramp, Router AVM Fritz 7490

last.fm/user/jo-wie

Comment

• Corelli45
              • Mar 2012

Will the new software enable similar functionality to the current Ipeng+Squeezebox Touch set up? And will we be able to continue to use current add ons such as Triode's Spotify and Enhanced Digital Output plug ins?
              Steve

Comment

• ModelCitizen
                • May 2005

Originally posted by Peter314
                Good news! I shall follow developments with great interest.
                Not sure about the ickstream name though. Maybe it sounds better to German ears?!
                It is great news. However, it is a real shame the name was not tried out on a native English speaker before being decided upon.

offensive to the senses or sensibilities : distasteful… See the full definition
                Take care of your tongue. It is in a wet place and can easily slip.

Lounge: Naim NDX with Touch as controller, Naim NAP 180, NAC 82, NAPSC, HiCap, Shahinian Arc speakers
                Kitchen/outside: Chromecast audio, Azatom iBigBoy 2 (500W)
                And... SB+, radios & tons of Chromecasts... all run from LMS and controlled via Material Skin on any nearby device and a couple of Touchs.

Comment

• bpa
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ModelCitizen
                  It is great news. However, it is a real shame the name was not tried out on a native English speaker before being decided upon.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/icky
                  Names are very hard to get right and be across many countries and I don't want to be negative but incorrect name can kill a service. I also think the name may be a poor choice for UK & Ireland as the word "icky" is quite common and so when I heard the site first - it did not appeal to me to even read the post except that pippin was the author.

There is also another possible bad connotation probably only for UK listeners who have heard about infamous David Icke as it sounds like his web site.

Comment

• ajkidle
                    • Jul 2008

Next time Rhapsody changes their encryption it will stop working on the old devices, I'm sure....
                    Naive of me to think otherwise, but you've made me nervous again...

Does the ickStream development possibly provide a solution for such an event, or is your focus on the Radio/Touch architecture?

Squeezeboxen: Sadly, I no longer own any Squeezebox
                    Controlled by: iPhone 5S running iPeng
                    Server: MSI Nettop 100 running VortexBox 2.2, LMS 7.7.2
                    Network: AT&T U-verse, Apple Time Capsule A1409, 5 Netgear Powerline AV200 Adapters
                    Music Sources: Local FLACs, Rhapsody, Pandora

Squeezebox is dead. Long live Squeezebox!

Comment

• pippin
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by jo-wie
                      I would say it sounds like the idiom for I stream when you live in Berlin.
                      That was the idea. Plus maybe an "extreme" sound-alike.

[QUOTE=ModelCitizen;743724]It is great news. However, it is a real shame the name was not tried out on a native English speaker before being decided upon.

Well, it was obviously tried out on at least one. How bad is it?
                      ---
                      at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• Julf
                        • Dec 2010

Well, it was obviously tried out on at least one. How bad is it?
                        Well, you *could* have called it "ickypoo"...
                        "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Comment

• erland
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Corelli45
                          Will the new software enable similar functionality to the current Ipeng+Squeezebox Touch set up?
                          Yes

And will we be able to continue to use current add ons such as Triode's Spotify and Enhanced Digital Output plug ins?
                          It's too early to say at the moment, we have mainly experimented a bit with Squeezebox hardware to ensure it works with our platform but the implementation for Squeezebox is still an early prototype. However, it will definitely be possible for a third party developer to provide an integration where these add-ons can be used.
                          Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                          Developer of many plugins/applets
                          Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• pippin
                            • Oct 2007

Will the new software enable similar functionality to the current Ipeng+Squeezebox Touch set up? And will we be able to continue to use current add ons such as Triode's Spotify and Enhanced Digital Output plug ins?
                            With current add-ons we will have to see. There might be a simple but inconvenient (from a UI perspective) way to just use what is currently there (the current Squeezebox UI is not at all content aware so can't support some of the cooler features we are doing).
                            Generally, the idea is that everybody can easily create own content providers for this and I'm pretty sure it will be possible to develop a generalized way to do this from LMS. In this case it would make a lot of sense to directly go through the ickStream interface instead of creating a Squeezebox menu first because, well, it would then support the cool features mentioned above
                            One thing that is different is that long term we envision that 3rd party support for streaming services could be hosted on a web server so that you don't have to run something on an own server to make it work. We don't have a concrete implementation for this today, though.

Originally posted by ajkidle
                            Naive of me to think otherwise, but you've made me nervous again...

Does the ickStream development possibly provide a solution for such an event, or is your focus on the Radio/Touch architecture?
                            Currently the focus is on the Radio/Touch architecture for the reasons mentioned above. There has been an idea on how older players could be supported, too, but we haven't done work on this, yet, and I'm almost sure the very first incarnation will not support it, we might have to rely on 3rd party support here and we have to make a particular change (although we already know we will need that one anyhow).

In a more general sense: there is no way to ever be safe against things like that with any system as long as your service provider uses DRM and keeps his hands on it. This explicitly includes Spotify, too, who are, strictly speaking, prohibiting all of this. The 3rd party plugin probably goes as far as you can bend their rules.
                            So the general rule is: prefer services who are more open and use standard streaming formats like AAC and mp3 so that you only need access to their content lookup because that's what they will always provide.
                            ---
                            at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

• Mnyb
                              • Feb 2006

Actually quite weird name , does not work that well and i'm getting used to all share/free ware that goes with linux , that can be named just about anything and usually have nothing to do with it's function.

Well Sony got away with "walkman"
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                              Bedroom/Office: Boom
                              Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                              Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                              iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                              (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                              server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• pippin
                                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Julf
                                Well, you *could* have called it "ickypoo"...
                                "icky the poo" sounds cute to me

Originally posted by Mnyb
                                Well Sony got away with "walkman"
                                And Apple with "iPad"
                                ---
                                at penguinlovesmusic.com

Comment

Working...