Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Great news! I'd be happy to help out with beta testing of MyIck.com (ok, bad joke) with my SB3, Boom, Touch & Radio. I stream some players 24/7 so might be a good reliability test, of sorts. What will the annual subscription be and where can I send it now (if you need some development cash)? I understand it's not ready yet, but I'd be happy to help in testing and $$$, just let me know.

This is very welcome news indeed, all the more so because of who is involved. I haven't been in any hurry to worry about what happens post-mysb.com, but I've signed up on your site and am looking forward to following your progress with ickstream. Good luck with it!

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Great news! I'd be happy to help out with beta testing of MyIck.com (ok, bad joke) with my SB3, Boom, Touch & Radio. I stream some players 24/7 so might be a good reliability test, of sorts. What will the annual subscription be and where can I send it now (if you need some development cash)? I understand it's not ready yet, but I'd be happy to help in testing and $$$, just let me know.
    +1

Will this include any custom player fw or is it "only" a server+cloud service with apps thing .

Will the compatibility to all kinds of devices happen in the server software and can you have some kind of synergy with a collection of devices from anyone , this would be almost to good to be true ?

I can imagine that you figured how to serve squeezeboxes as some of the devs involved have mastered the art of making a player for the LMS server , and it's not far fetched to assume that if you understand the player you understand the server protocol .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Really great news

I am very happy to see this initiative, and wish you great success with it. It makes a great deal of sense to go for device independence, but I hope you will have some differentiated hardware in your ecosystem, since the digital streaming music business is quite crowded by now. I am sure you have ideas on how to differentiate yourself from what's already out there.

I did try the obvious to see if I could get a peak at what you're up to, but to no avail.

git clone https://code.google.com/p/ickstream/
    Cloning into 'ickstream'...
    warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.

No surprises there, but it was worth a try. Hopefully, there will be a degree of open community development once the first public release happens...?
    ----------------------
    "Dreamer, easy in the chair that really fits you..."

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ickstream.com/about
    Geschäftsführer: Jörg Schwieder
    I'm confident this project will go in the right direction.
    Congratulations, and thanks.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    This is very welcome news indeed, all the more so because of who is involved. I haven't been in any hurry to worry about what happens post-mysb.com, but I've signed up on your site and am looking forward to following your progress with ickstream. Good luck with it!
    My sentiments exactly. I'm glad you guys announced when you did, so those of us sitting on the sidelines can continue to demonstrate patience until you're able to introduce your product.

I'm hopeful I won't soon have to answer the question, "but how will I replace iPeng and Erland's plugins?"
    2-SB3s, 1-Touch, and a Raspberry Pi B+ with TekDevice dacBerry 3+ running piCorePlayer. Mac Mini as a server (OS X Yosemite). Direct Ethernet connection (1-SB3 and the Raspberry Pi) and power-line (1-SB3 and Touch). iPeng is my controller of choice. LMS 7.8.1

Quote Originally Posted by dsdreamer View Post
    I did try the obvious to see if I could get a peak at what you're up to, but to no avail.

git clone https://code.google.com/p/ickstream/
    Cloning into 'ickstream'...
    warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.

No surprises there, but it was worth a try. Hopefully, there will be a degree of open community development once the first public release happens...?
    As mentioned in the initial post, we really want to keep the community feeling from this community, a big part of that is to allow third party developers to easily enhance and integrate with the platform and also to allow community members to participate in beta testing and influence future functionality. This is also how it currently works for people invited to our beta program.

Unfortunately we can't be more open to the general public at the moment, mainly because we want to avoid a situation where some competitor with a lot more development resources steal our unique ideas and releases something before us. It's going to be less of a problem after the first public release and we should then be able to be more open also to people outside the beta group and get that nice community feeling we are all familiar with. :-)
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Watcher of the Windows build
    Great News! Already signed at ickStream.com. Also glad to hear that MusicIP or similar functionality either native or via a 3rd party plugin is being considered. Looking forward to future news and would gladly provide feedback if admitted as beta tester.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Will this include any custom player fw or is it "only" a server+cloud service with apps thing .
    Kind of in-between. Currently, for the Squeezeboxes, it's an Applet.
    Custom firmware is difficult, lots of proprietary stuff in there that's actually needed so adding to the standard firmware is easier as long as that one still works.
    Will the compatibility to all kinds of devices happen in the server software
    No, it's in the API/on the client side. It might be possible to simulate that, similar to LMS exposing the Squeezeboxes as UPnP devices but me thinks at least syncing will be difficult with such a scenario (but who knows... if the latency is known).

and can you have some kind of synergy with a collection of devices from anyone , this would be almost to good to be true ?
    Well, not anyone. We can't make dumb devices more intelligent. But our system is simple enough to fit into a lot of devices.

I can imagine that you figured how to serve squeezeboxes as some of the devs involved have mastered the art of making a player for the LMS server , and it's not far fetched to assume that if you understand the player you understand the server protocol .
    Well, our "server protocol" is very different from what the Squeezeboxes do. We do NOT have the intelligence in the server. That's the one fundamental decision we have made, we believe that embedded devices these days are powerful enough to be able to have the controller in a controller and to be able to give the player some kind of autonomy.
    This gets us around the problem that the server always needs to be present and reachable, at all times. A problem haunting the Squeezeboxes when you don't run the server 24/7.

It's pretty much what Logitech _should_ have done for the Smart Radio but it involves a much bigger change in architecture.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch