Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Vamp ... bluetooth to any speaker

Cool little device.

http://www.psfk.com/2013/03/cube-bluetooth-speaker.html

It's a pity the radios don't have bluetooth built-in... it would be a killer app for squeezebox or community squeezebox or whatever else to be able to be a bluetooth audio receiver and pipe this through waveinput plugin.

Radios couldn't support bluetooth... or could they? Is there enough disk space to support the bluez packages and a kernel module to support bluetooth?

-Ross

Quote Originally Posted by rcampbel3 View Post
    Cool little device.

http://www.psfk.com/2013/03/cube-bluetooth-speaker.html

It's a pity the radios don't have bluetooth built-in... it would be a killer app for squeezebox or community squeezebox or whatever else to be able to be a bluetooth audio receiver and pipe this through waveinput plugin.

Radios couldn't support bluetooth... or could they? Is there enough disk space to support the bluez packages and a kernel module to support bluetooth?

-Ross
    I doubt radio could be made to support bluetooth as there is no BT hardware in radio and no USB.

Getting Bluez is a pain to act as a "speaker" (i.e. send audio from a smartphone to a LMS server to rebrodcast out to all player) - the only documented way is using pulseaudio. Don't know about Windows or OSX based LMS. BT support on linux boxes is also painful as there are many cheap BT adaptors which are not reliable when working with Linux. It may be a killer app but whoever offers to support novice users setting it up needs to have plenty of spare time.

Just pledged to this project ... sounds great!

I've got bt working on Raspi outputting via Squeezelite to speakers - this will further extend the listening choices!
    Last edited by castalla; 2013-03-27 at 15:54.
    Touch, Logitech Radio, Logitech UE Radio, O2 Joggler + SqpOS
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
    AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternative approach, less complex but with small cost, is to use a BT wireless speaker adaptor ( Logitech make one ) and feed output from adaptor into a line-in on LMS server. Then use Waveinput to play audio from line-in port.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Alternative approach, less complex but with small cost, is to use a BT wireless speaker adaptor ( Logitech make one ) and feed output from adaptor into a line-in on LMS server. Then use Waveinput to play audio from line-in port.
    Getting bt to work on Debian isn't too difficult - apart from the vagaries of getting auto-pairing to work! I can't get Fedora 18 to work with autopairing - tried every workaround known to man and beast!
    UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio: PURE Jongo S3x ; Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
    SB Player - Fire TV
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by castalla View Post
    Getting bt to work on Debian isn't too difficult - apart from the vagaries of getting auto-pairing to work! I can't get Fedora 18 to work with autopairing - tried every workaround known to man and beast!
    I agree BT is OK on Debian/Ubuntu is OK - IIRC autopairing vagaries just seems to depend on version of BT on adaptor 2.0,2.1 and 3.0 as well as some chipsets.

Does Fedora 18 use Bluez 4 or Bluez 5 ?

I agree BT is OK on Debian/Ubuntu is OK - IIRC autopairing vagaries just seems to depend on version of BT on adaptor 2.0,2.1 and 3.0 as well as some chipsets.

Does Fedora 18 use Bluez 4 or Bluez 5 ?
    It uses 4 .. and there are no bluez-utils ... I copied the scripts over from Debian but some don't work. The big problem I have is that hcitool auth crashes out with severe errors. I tried blueman from the gui but that fails to see any bt adapters!
    SB Player - Fire TV

It uses 4 .. and there are no bluez-utils ... I copied the scripts over from Debian but some don't work. The big problem I have is that hcitool auth crashes out with severe errors. I tried blueman from the gui but that fails to see any bt adapters!
    Bluez may be good (it work OK in Android) but the documentation is appalling and perhaps Fedora group just wanted to make life easier for themselves.

A few months back I was looking into Bluetooth remote protocol (e.g. to see if Bluetooth remote control could be used with community player instead of IR) and in doing so using also looked at OP suggested because when sending audio from smartphone - typically not only is audio stream sent but also AVRCP is implemented (i.e. smartphone will send pause/play FFW, REW, next track etc commands to LMS)) . To try to get audio from phone to LMS through ALSA, I had to wade through Bluez source code as conf file options are not documented. Furthermore as each Bluez rev some functionality seems to be ripped out but not documented (e.g.I think all ALSA support is gone in Bluez 5) .

When working through the above issues - I avoided the Bluez utilities and used dbus-send (it provided full access to Bluez API), hcidump and ran bluetoothd from a command line with debug enabled. When I knew what I wanted - then I tried to get the Bluez utilities to do what I wanted which was not always successful which is why I wouldn't want to support novice users to use Bluetooth.

Bluez may be good (it work OK in Android) but the documentation is appalling and perhaps Fedora group just wanted to make life easier for themselves.

A few months back I was looking into Bluetooth remote protocol (e.g. to see if Bluetooth remote control could be used with community player instead of IR) and in doing so using also looked at OP suggested because when sending audio from smartphone - typically not only is audio stream sent but also AVRCP is implemented (i.e. smartphone will send pause/play FFW, REW, next track etc commands to LMS)) . To try to get audio from phone to LMS through ALSA, I had to wade through Bluez source code as conf file options are not documented. Furthermore as each Bluez rev some functionality seems to be ripped out but not documented (e.g.I think all ALSA support is gone in Bluez 5) .

When working through the above issues - I avoided the Bluez utilities and used dbus-send (it provided full access to Bluez API), hcidump and ran bluetoothd from a command line with debug enabled. When I knew what I wanted - then I tried to get the Bluez utilities to do what I wanted which was not always successful which is why I wouldn't want to support novice users to use Bluetooth.
    The only way I can get pairing to work in Debian is to follow this hint from Gentoo forum:

Code:
    To solve the HCI-Auth-input-output-thing I did the following steps: 
     Start `simple-agent` (part of net-wireless/bluez) as root. 
     In another terminal start `hcitool cc 00:13:70:D1:XX:XX && hcitool auth 00:13:70:D1:XX:XX`.
    The second part crashes out totally in Fedora.
    SB Player - Fire TV

The only way I can get pairing to work in Debian is to follow this hint from Gentoo forum:

Code:
    To solve the HCI-Auth-input-output-thing I did the following steps: 
     Start `simple-agent` (part of net-wireless/bluez) as root. 
     In another terminal start `hcitool cc 00:13:70:D1:XX:XX && hcitool auth 00:13:70:D1:XX:XX`.
    The second part crashes out totally in Fedora.
    IIRC unmodded simple-agent only works with adatpors 2.0.
    What type/chipset and BT version of adaptors are you using ?