Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dedicated controller

Hi

Seems I'm one of few who doesn't like using touch devices as controllers.
    I am looking but I can't find anything, does anyone know of a dedicated controller available similar to the DUET model?

I like the physical buttons, the wheel is great, but it has it's issues and since everything is discontinued.... Is there an alternative?

Buy a used Controller? Beyond that your likely options are smart phone, tablet, or web UI from your computer (no touch screen ).

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Buy a used Controller? Beyond that your likely options are smart phone, tablet, or web UI from your computer (no touch screen ).
    Yes, a CONTROLLER (from a duet) will control a TOUCH or any other squeezebox. I've picked up a couple used/new in box from ebay at cheap prices. (My wife prefers the controller).
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win8(64) > LMS 7.9.1 > Squeezelite
    Spares: Transporter, Touch(3), Radio(3), Boom, SB3, CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Well I did mention the controller has it's issues...

Quote Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
    Well I did mention the controller has it's issues...
    can you just use the IR remote that comes with the touch. Of course this requires line of sight. For me, I mostly use SqueezePlay running on my laptop to control my various SB players. Because I'm often sitting in front of my laptop!
    Home: VortexBox 4TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: VBA 3TB (2.4) > LMS 7.9.1 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Controllers: iPhone6 & iPadAir2 (iPeng & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win10(64) laptop
    Files: ripping: dbpoweramp > FLAC; post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes; Streaming: Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    can you just use the IR remote that comes with the touch. Of course this requires line of sight. For me, I mostly use SqueezePlay running on my laptop to control my various SB players. Because I'm often sitting in front of my laptop!
    Hi

I wasn't clear enough, I don't have a touch, I have the Duet Controller, two of them, but they won't last forever, and like I say they have issues, poor screen resolution(not a big deal, just makes it look a bit old), losing wifi when conserving battery which sometimes takes a while to wake up, random crashes(fixed by reboot but still), short battery life, product end of life...

I see lots of development on players and server hardware/software but none on controller hardware side.
    I've tried Android, IOS and WinPhone controller and they just aren't as efficient or good as the Duet controller.

I wasn't clear enough, I don't have a touch, I have the Duet Controller, two of them, but they won't last forever, and like I say they have issues, poor screen resolution(not a big deal, just makes it look a bit old), losing wifi when conserving battery which sometimes takes a while to wake up, random crashes(fixed by reboot but still), short battery life, product end of life...

I see lots of development on players and server hardware/software but none on controller hardware side.
    I've tried Android, IOS and WinPhone controller and they just aren't as efficient or good as the Duet controller.
    What type of player(s) do you have? You still haven't said. Other than the Duet Receiver, they all work with infrared remotes.

You may have seen that development of the Squeezebox line has come to the proverbial end of the road. It's finished. Logitech made only one dedicated Controller (the Duet Controller), and then basically saw that that they couldn't compete against the iThings and Android devices. So if you want a dedicated SB controller, then your only option is another Duet Controller.

Hi

I'd be surprised to see any hardware development on something like a CONTROLLER for only controlling the SB players given the high quality of the various apps that can be used wih smartphones and tablets. You say you've tried iOS controllers and didn't like them. Have you tried iPeng? It is much, much better than the free logitech iOS controller app. And iPeng for iPad is very good as is SqueezePad for iPad. These do everything the CONTROLLER does and a lot more. The only thing they don't do is work for setting up a duet receiver, but there is Net: UDAP for that purpose. (and in terms of dedicated, you can pick up an older iphone or ipad cheap and use them at home ONLY as a controller)

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    What type of player(s) do you have? You still haven't said. Other than the Duet Receiver, they all work with infrared remotes.

You may have seen that development of the Squeezebox line has come to the proverbial end of the road. It's finished. Logitech made only one dedicated Controller (the Duet Controller), and then basically saw that that they couldn't compete against the iThings and Android devices. So if you want a dedicated SB controller, then your only option is another Duet Controller.
    PC -> USB -> i2S -> DAC

But I don't follow your logic about androids and iPhones being used on these and this being the reason for no more controllers. Perhaps on SB3's/Touch's/Transports.
    Looks like the SB Touch was the product which caused the problem.

I am on WinPhone now so no iPeng, I'll try it on my wife's iPhone, but nevertheless that won't be a solution in the long term. I'm actually more wondering along the lines of wireless controllers in use for other products that can be hacked to work on squeezebox's...

PC -> USB -> i2S -> DAC

But I don't follow your logic about androids and iPhones being used on these and this being the reason for no more controllers. Perhaps on SB3's/Touch's/Transports.
    Looks like the SB Touch was the product which caused the problem..
    Huh? Sorry, none of that makes any sense. What problem are you referring to? The logic is that available apps were better than the controller and only $10 instead of $200.

And are you saying you don't have any SB hardware players but are using something like squeezeplay on your PC? The smart phone controllers will control software SB players too.