Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Album Appearing multiple times in Album listing

Howdy,

Trying to clean up my music collection and I'm running into a vexing problem with Albums that have multiple artists. The problem is a single Album will show up multiple times in the "Album" view of the web display (or player).

Example Problem:
    Album: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Original Soundtrack
    It has 4 different artists (Strauss, Legiti, etc), all the with same album name.

When I view the album list on the web display or device, I see 4 Album entries:

2001: A Space Odyssey - Original Soundtrack by Aram Khachaturian
    2001: A Space Odyssey - Original Soundtrack by Gyorgy Ligeti
    2001: A Space Odyssey - Original Soundtrack by Johann Strauss
    2001: A Space Odyssey - Original Soundtrack by Richard Strauss

Each one only has 1 or 2 songs.

My music is encoded in m4a and I've confirmed that the only tags that are set on all the titles is @nam, @ART, @alb, @gen, trkn and @too. While trkn and @ART vary between tracks, all the rest are exactly the same (I've cut and pasted them to be triple sure). There is no compilation flag nor is there an albumartist flag.

When I click on one of the above, the header in the web display actually just shows the "2001: A Space Odyssey - Original Soundtrack" so I assume it really does know the album by the "simpler" name. But it is making multiple album entries for it (if I use the CLI interface to fetch albums and ID's, I see 4 entries with 4 different IDs for the above)

I have a number (in fact, most multi-artist disks) that show up this way. It makes playing an album a huge pain (especially for disks with 20+ tracks, all by different artists).

I've checked the "Group by artist" option both ways (though I don't think it's meant for this) with a full clean and rebuild library between and nothing changes.

Any suggestions on how to "coalesce" the albums into a single entry on the Albums listing? Or even pointers? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Gerry

First, make sure that the ALBUM field in each file is identical.

Second, there should be no ALBUMARTIST field in the tagging of these files. If your composer/artist is contained or repeated in the ALBUMARTIST field, you'll get the results that you see. They should only be in the ARTIST field.

Are the tracks for these albums all in one folder per album? LMS can be a little picky about file location and sometimes uses the folder path to consolidate albums. When all tracks for an album are in one folder, it's usually pretty good and would catalog these albums as compilations. Go to the album's track listing page in the web interface. If LMS considers the album a compilation it will show 'Compilation: Yes' in the album info near the top of the page.

You can try adding a COMPILATION=1 tag to compilations. It's not usually necessary, but it might help.

Do you have any albums located under Artists > Various Artists? If so, you might examine the tagging of these albums and closely compare them to the albums that are broken up.

Howdy,

Yep -- Album field is identical -- I cut and pasted the Album tag data and confirmed it with a seperate tool. There is not ALBUMARTIST tag anywhere -- just the once I listed.

They are broken up in different folders as the current layout is artist/album/track. I'll try a test run of folding the tracks from the album into a single folder and see if that helps.

Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_duprey View Post
    They are broken up in different folders as the current layout is artist/album/track. I'll try a test run of folding the tracks from the album into a single folder and see if that helps.
    Yeah, I'm not even sure there's a way to make that work correctly. You might try a COMPILATION=1 tag. Or you might try adding an ALBUMARTIST=Various Artists (or something similar - some people might use ALBUMARTIST=Soundtrack). If neither of those work, I think your only option is to reorganize the folders.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry_duprey View Post
    I use that same layout, but it's not by the artist on each individual track - it's by the album artist. All compilation albums are placed in an artist folder labeled "! Various Artists". (The ! just forces this folder to be sorted to the top in Windows Explorer, so it's easy to locate).

Try not to break up albums into different folders if you can avoid it. The one place where I break up albums is with multi-disc sets. LMS doesn't seem to mind if each disc is in a subfolder. For exanple:

\Santana
    ..\Moonflower
    ..\..\Disc 1
    ..\..\Disc 2
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2014-01-27 at 14:01.

Yep -- it was the fact that with an Artist/Album/Track structure, any album that didn't have all the same artist was broken in multiple albums in LSB. I've taken the advice of the wiki and for those multi-artist disks, manually put all their tracks under the same album under a "Compilations" folder (where Compilations is in the place Artists would be). So overall, I still have artist/album/track format, except for compilations.

I don't love that non-uniformity, but LSB seems to like it.

Thanks for the pointers and help!

Gerry