Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

General check for updates

How do I cause LMS to do a general check for plugin updates? Surely there's a way.

I recently checked my Plugins tab, saw I had several updates waiting, selected a few of them, figuring I'd do them a few at a time, and when the first batch were done and LMS restarted, the others had disappeared! That is, although certain plugins, like Trackstat and Spicefly Sugarcube, still have updates waiting, I no longer have an opportunity to install them. I'm not certain I remember which ones have updates, and the ones I do remember, I can't install. I can't see where to go to find or display updates. Any help appreciated.

-David

Quote Originally Posted by dpotts View Post
    How do I cause LMS to do a general check for plugin updates? Surely there's a way.

I recently checked my Plugins tab, saw I had several updates waiting, selected a few of them, figuring I'd do them a few at a time, and when the first batch were done and LMS restarted, the others had disappeared! That is, although certain plugins, like Trackstat and Spicefly Sugarcube, still have updates waiting, I no longer have an opportunity to install them. I'm not certain I remember which ones have updates, and the ones I do remember, I can't install. I can't see where to go to find or display updates. Any help appreciated.

-David
    Not quite sure how plugin updates work, but I have the "Update plugins automatically" box checked. When I click on the plugins tab in LMS > Settings, if there are updates available I get a popup saying that the server is being restarted, I never have to manually update plugins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    kidstypike
    1 x SB3 - 1 x Boom - 1 x (Squeezebox) Radio - 2 x Touch - 2 x piCorePlayer

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Not quite sure how plugin updates work, but I have the "Update plugins automatically" box checked. When I click on the plugins tab in LMS > Settings, if there are updates available I get a popup saying that the server is being restarted, I never have to manually update plugins.
    Yeah, perhaps I should check the "Automatically Update" box, though obviously I haven't. I guess I would like to monitor the updates -- though I'm not particularly concerned about problems with them. I just like to know what's going on.

Surely there's a way of controlling all this? For instance, if one wanted for some reason to install a previous version of a plugin, is that just simply impossible? Isn't there some way for users to have control over plugin versions?

-David

Quote Originally Posted by dpotts View Post
    Surely there's a way of controlling all this? For instance, if one wanted for some reason to install a previous version of a plugin, is that just simply impossible? Isn't there some way for users to have control over plugin versions?
    I think you could turn off the plugin that gives you the convenient Plugins tab -- I forget the name, but it's something like "Download Extensions". Then you would be back in old days of a few years ago, when users (1) downloaded a zip file for a plugin, (2) unzipped it in the correct location on the server, (3) restarted the server, and (4) configured the plugin if needed.

Or, you could leave the plugin for the convenient Plugins tab in place, and just overwrite the current version of the plugin with a previous version, and restart the server. You would keep getting reminders that there is a newer version available.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I think you could turn off the plugin that gives you the convenient Plugins tab -- I forget the name, but it's something like "Download Extensions". Then you would be back in old days of a few years ago, when users (1) downloaded a zip file for a plugin, (2) unzipped it in the correct location on the server, (3) restarted the server, and (4) configured the plugin if needed.

Or, you could leave the plugin for the convenient Plugins tab in place, and just overwrite the current version of the plugin with a previous version, and restart the server. You would keep getting reminders that there is a newer version available.
    Thanks for the info. I couldn't find a plugin that seemed to have any such function as supplying the Plugins tab. Perhaps the functionality is now built in to LMS and not a plugin.

Fortunately, the plugin I was most concerned to update reappeared as available for update. I suppose if I just wait, the others will too. It still strikes me as odd that we can't control this ourselves through the interface.

-David

I had it backwards. It's called Extension Downloader, and it's listed right there among your other active plugins.

In my experience the listing of available plugins updates _is_ automatic. It sounds as if yours is not refreshing the way it should for some reason.

I had it backwards. It's called Extension Downloader, and it's listed right there among your other active plugins.
    I see it now, thanks.

In my experience the listing of available plugins updates _is_ automatic. It sounds as if yours is not refreshing the way it should for some reason.
    One of the errant updates (the important one to me) appeared in the list yesterday. I'll just wait and assume the others will appear in their good time.

-David