Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    You can't really make this up

http://www.lessloss.com/laminar-stre...yer-p-207.html

These are the clowns behind the " blackbody " a product I usually link too when we are having fun
    Funny thing is one of your fellow Swedes linked to the laminar streamer on the Stereophile forum back in December (http://forum.stereophile.com/content/i-cant-wait) and of course I responded by calling the product pure BS and of course I was dismissed with some typical audiophile mumbo jumbo. Will audiophiles ever learn?
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Funny thing is one of your fellow Swedes linked to the laminar streamer on the Stereophile forum back in December (http://forum.stereophile.com/content/i-cant-wait) and of course I responded by calling the product pure BS and of course I was dismissed with some typical audiophile mumbo jumbo. Will audiophiles ever learn?
    No they will not , all we can hope for is no new recruits and that that nature will have it's way . the hobby dies with the last confused audiophool , a very rich one a DAC would then cost 3B$ as he have the finance the whole thing at 1 customer.

And a couple of decades later the hobby get resurrected by some cool people (cue riding into the sunshine.... )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj
    ...and of course I responded by calling the product pure BS and of course I was dismissed with some typical audiophile mumbo jumbo...
    What goes around, comes around.

Don't get me wrong, this laminar thing is marketing fuzz at its worst. But I really think you guys sometimes overdo.
    Server/Storage: Synology DS412+ -> SSODS/LMS 7.9
    Living Room: Windows Server 2012 R2 (core) -> AudiophileOptimizer -> Squeezelite -> WDM-KS/HDMI -> NAD M51 -> Rowen Absolute MONO -> Quad 22L
    Sleeping Room: Radio
    Controller: iPad mini -> iPeng 7

Quote Originally Posted by Quad View Post
    What goes around, comes around.

Don't get me wrong, this laminar thing is marketing fuzz at its worst. But I really think you guys sometimes overdo.
    Yes probably , but think of it as a long lever as the majority of the audio hoby have turned into this mess...

But that particular company is very very shady ,have a look at thier blackbody http://www.lessloss.com/blackbody-p-200.html
    And thier power conditioner ,seems equally suspicius ? skin effect filter really

And are we overdiong it in this particular case ?

The whole company seems to totally geared to fool suspectibale audio hobyists , the products are just a mean to ends .
    They just make them to tick all the boxes in the typical audiophile new age belief system and market heavilly from there ? actual performance is not even an issue ?
    They are also selling a speaker brand i actuallynknow nothing about so they have mixed their voodo products with some actually working stuff but thaats just clever .
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Ah, a good one!

"Computer operating systems are extensive and require many services, which all compete for processing time. These processes are allocated according to what are called priorities. It is known through the world-wide consensus of experienced computer audio tweakers that the more services you can disengage, the better the resulting audio. The stream becomes more laminar, less turbulent."

http://www.lessloss.com/laminar-stre...yer-p-207.html

These are the clowns behind the " blackbody " a product I usually link too when we are having fun
    The speaker cable section had me laughing. They bark about preventing the diode effect then go on to talk about directional cables.

Anything conducting better in one direction is a "diode" effect, rectifying the signal and increasing harmonics.

When I was at school I am sure audio signals were AC

Still, if it makes them happy.

I am in the wrong business for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Ah, a good one!

"Computer operating systems are extensive and require many services, which all compete for processing time. These processes are allocated according to what are called priorities. It is known through the world-wide consensus of experienced computer audio tweakers that the more services you can disengage, the better the resulting audio. The stream becomes more laminar, less turbulent."
    That is actually a gem , this is how they do it laminar and turbulent streams are fluid dynamics (hydrodynamics and aearodynamics) it has nothing to do with information ,you could aswell ask about the taste of bits , I want blueberry zeros and vanilla ones

But to non technical people this may actually sound like plausible technobable , but its snipped from something completly different much of the stuff these kind of scammers use for marketting blurb is real but taken out of it's context .

Well much of the blackbody stuff is science fiction

Non technical people may take another viewpiont to see trough this ,does not this look too good to be true , they can solve all "problems" an audiophile seems to have and even some you did not know that you had ?

That is actually a gem , this is how they do it laminar and turbulent streams are fluid dynamics (hydrodynamics and aearodynamics) it has nothing to do with information ,you could aswell ask about the taste of bits , I want blueberry zeros and vanilla ones

But to non technical people this may actually sound like plausible technobable , but its snipped from something completly different much of the stuff these kind of scammers use for marketting blurb is real but taken out of it's context .

Well much of the blackbody stuff is science fiction

Non technical people may take another viewpiont to see trough this ,does not this look too good to be true , they can solve all "problems" an audiophile seems to have and even some you did not know that you had ?
    The funny thing is that there several parallels between electrical current and fluid flow. For example current and fluid both flow from high to low potential. A tank acts like a capacitor, a check valve acts like a diode, etc.

Another strange thing is that sometimes one wants a turbulent and not laminar flow, however I can't think of good example right now.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: SBS on dedicated windows 7 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm