Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Streaming tunes from Google Play Music

I'm wondering if my SB Classic can stream files from Google Play. I have all my music stored there (as well as on my home hard drive) and it would be much easier to pull from G Play via MySB than having to connect to my computer every time. I searched the forums and didn't find a word about Google Play. Bad sign?
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Bad sign, indeed.

Google Music doesn't have an API so there's little chance for anything official.
    With iPeng's browser you can play single tracks through from Google Music's web interface but it's tedious and really just a hack for the occasional, single track.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

I'd be interested in tis too - but mainly for taking my Radio out of the house. However am aware that any official support is extremely unlikely.
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One

Google Music on your phone

JonWill, if you want music on-the-go, you can always stream your files from Google Play using the Google Music app on Android or iOS.

I suppose I could do this at home also since I have an input for external sources that plays into my home stereo. But it's a pain to have my phone be the conduit. If I have to make a call or get a call, I have to unhook the cable, etc. Not really practical.

Silly that Google doesn't enable this with an API. I would expect that lots of people would use this to stream their files to SB, Sonos and lots of other devices. Of course, those manufacturers would have to use the API and build it into their products. Unlikely with SB at least.

Well, you don't always have to understand Google. Google+ also still doesn't have an API and its unclear it will ever get one. and that's a service for which I'd say that it depends to 100% on having one....
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8

Quote Originally Posted by Omeriah View Post
    JonWill, if you want music on-the-go, you can always stream your files from Google Play using the Google Music app on Android or iOS.
    That is what I use it for ... what I am talking about is going away and taking my SB Radio and using it as if I were at home - e.g. instead of LMS with my library of FLAC files, have access to the same library through the Cloud, with all the other functionality. You could argue that this is already available with mysb.com and Napster, but there is something familiar about your won tagged library ...

J
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One