Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

LMS spontaneously stops on WHS v.1

LMS (7.7.2) spontaneously stops running on my Windows Home Server (v.1) system. It can be while I'm playing music or at any time. It just shuts down. When this happens, I use WHS Console to restart LMS. It starts right up and everything is fine. But it is annoying, obviously. This happens about once a week, maybe a little more.

I have been observing this problem for a long time now and looked for clues as to what is going on, but I've come up dry. My WHS runs almost no other software. The few other things I have ever installed on it, like Zumocast, I got rid of, thinking they might be causing the problem. But the problem persists. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions as to how to fix it?

-David

Did this just start happening with 7.7.2? If yes, you may want to consider going back to your last release that ran without issues. All old versions of the server can be found here;
    http://downloads.slimdevices.com/
    If you do this you may also want to change the setting that tells the server not to check for and download updates to the server.
    2 Duets - 1 for upstairs and 1 for downstairs
    Rock Solid with LMS 7.8.0 and WHS 2011

I forgot how.

Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    If you do this you may also want to change the setting that tells the server not to check for and download updates to the server.
    I forget where this do not check for updates feature is...?
    John Marshall
    LMS 7.8 running on a DIY PC, Windows 7 64 bit, (1) Transporter, (4) Booms & (2) CSOS SqueezeliteWands. SqueezePad & iPeng for controllers.
    Music Room setup: Transporter => Rotel RC1070 preamp => Rotel RB1080 2 channel amp => Bowers & Wilkins 805 Speakers.
    Headphone setup: SqueezeliteWandQuad => Mytek 192 DAC => Woo Audio WA22 balanced headphone amp => Sennheiser HD800 headphones.

I run a WHS v1 and don't see this. Are you running plug-ins? Maybe try disabling them and see if that fixes it. If so then try and narrow down the candidate?

CW
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Office), Radio x2 (Lounge and Bedroom)
    Server: 7.8 for Wandboard Dual
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music Information Screen | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone5/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezed_Rotel View Post
    I forget where this do not check for updates feature is...?
    In LMS Settings, click the Advanced tab. In the drop-down on that page is an item "Software Updates."

-David

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkywizard View Post
    I run a WHS v1 and don't see this. Are you running plug-ins? Maybe try disabling them and see if that fixes it. If so then try and narrow down the candidate?

CW
    Thanks for this information. Also, the advice seems good.

The stopping happens only once a week or so. And unfortunately, that something should disrupt it hasn't been all that unusual in my history with LMS. So, I only gradually became aware that this stopping had become a quite regular thing and was happening seemingly for no reason. I did install a bunch of plug-ins at the beginning of last year, most notably MusicIP, and it is plausible that this is the time LMS began stopping on me. Maybe I should do some testing of the sort you suggest. I'd hate to lose MusicIP! Actually, if that turns out to be the problem, I'll just live with it.

Do you run MusicIP?

-David

I have been running WHS v1 for years with no problems. Currently I use LMS 7.8 and it is stable. I have gone through and unchecked all of the plug ins that I have no use for. I do not use I tunes. I only scan for music, no photos or videos. The one thing I have noticed is that the box that says "start server at start up" in the WHS console somehow gets unchecked when the server re boots. The LMS then sometimes doesn't start after say a windows update. You could turn off automatic updates in WHS and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kpumroy View Post
    I have been running WHS v1 for years with no problems. Currently I use LMS 7.8 and it is stable. I have gone through and unchecked all of the plug ins that I have no use for. I do not use I tunes. I only scan for music, no photos or videos. The one thing I have noticed is that the box that says "start server at start up" in the WHS console somehow gets unchecked when the server re boots. The LMS then sometimes doesn't start after say a windows update. You could turn off automatic updates in WHS and see if that helps.
    I don't run MusicIP (try the new SmartMix plugin) and I turn off automatic updates as well. Maybe that's the difference?

Hope you get it fixed

CW
    Squeezebox: Boom x2 (Kitchen and Office), Radio x2 (Lounge and Bedroom)
    Server: 7.8 for Wandboard Dual
    Plugins: Dynamic Playlists | SQL Playlist | Music Information Screen | TrackStat
    Remote: iPhone5/iPad Air running iPeng
    Music: Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Chunkywizard View Post
    I don't run MusicIP (try the new SmartMix plugin) and I turn off automatic updates as well. Maybe that's the difference?
    I don't do automatic updates. But I'm wondering if that's the problem. I found that I have a bunch of updates waiting. I installed them, and I'm going to wait and see. Then, when that doesn't work, I'll disable all 3d party plugins and see what happens.

I only just found out about Smart Mix. Definitely worth a try!

-David

Quote Originally Posted by dpotts View Post
    I don't do automatic updates. But I'm wondering if that's the problem. I found that I have a bunch of updates waiting. I installed them, and I'm going to wait and see. Then, when that doesn't work, I'll disable all 3d party plugins and see what happens.

I only just found out about Smart Mix. Definitely worth a try!

-David
    Try fiddle with the mip settings to cueing to many tracks at the time can make it stall especially if you also use sugarcube .

Keeping the plugins up to date is definetely a good idea , I always auto update my plugins
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html