Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SACD/DSD file support? Generally: How to add support for a new file type?

Is there any activity going on in order to get DSD file (.dsf and/or .dff) support for LMS?

I thought that quick solution could be achieved with dsd2pcm (or dsd modules of mpd or foobar) and custom-convert.conf + custom-types.conf but I just couldn't understand how get LMS to support new file types. I guess plugin is needed for that. However I couldn't find any other (up-to-date) plugin that would add support for a new file type and that I could use as an example. I also quickly looked at Slim::Formats but didn't quite get it how to add support for new file types.

You could look at the PlayWMA plugin. It uses mplayer to provide WMA support (on non Windows servers) for players which do not support WMA .
    You should change custom-types.conf to define a file extension and filetype.
    You should change the custom-convert.conf to use your convert app and also change the filetype.

If you are using Windows as server OS - then the custom-convert.conf has some changes in syntax dealing with the file name.