Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Help in confirming a possibly dead squeezebox receiver

Folks - I wonder if you can help or advise.

I have 2 receivers and a squeezebox radio. All work perfectly well and setup was a breeze - complete music revolution for us.

I've now added another 2nd hand receiver but it's not a happy bunny.

Things on this receiver:
    1) Plug it in: Red light slow flashing. Attempt reset - hold front button for as long as I want : No change in red flashing
    2) Plug in network cable: no network lights flash at all
    3) Suspected network card: Removed card from box but get the angry blue flashing light which means it's just not happy. Interestingly I do get network lights on the net cable socket but no actual activity.
    4) Swapped in the network card from a good unit: no difference 'BUT' the type of network card was different and I'm not sure if it must have the identical card type it was shipped with?
    5) Tried a different power supply - and I checked the 3.3V and 1.2V check points - all well there too.

Anything else I can check? Anyone had similar? The slow red flashing light is taunting me....

Quote Originally Posted by faero View Post
    Folks - I wonder if you can help or advise.

I have 2 receivers and a squeezebox radio. All work perfectly well and setup was a breeze - complete music revolution for us.

I've now added another 2nd hand receiver but it's not a happy bunny.

Things on this receiver:
    1) Plug it in: Red light slow flashing. Attempt reset - hold front button for as long as I want : No change in red flashing
    2) Plug in network cable: no network lights flash at all
    3) Suspected network card: Removed card from box but get the angry blue flashing light which means it's just not happy. Interestingly I do get network lights on the net cable socket but no actual activity.
    4) Swapped in the network card from a good unit: no difference 'BUT' the type of network card was different and I'm not sure if it must have the identical card type it was shipped with?
    5) Tried a different power supply - and I checked the 3.3V and 1.2V check points - all well there too.

Anything else I can check? Anyone had similar? The slow red flashing light is taunting me....
    What is the controller saying ????? Red light flashing normally says "searching for network connection"(wireless is default)
    Can you select the receiver on the controller ???
    Callesoroe
    Living room: Transporter, Tact RCS 2.2X digital preamp, Martin Logan Vista speakers, AMPS(Icepower): Acoustic Reality Ear Enigma PLUS(PANELS), Acoustic Reality Ear TWO MKII(Bas)
    Kitchen: Transporter, Prodipe Pro 5 active bi-amp speakers. Bedroom: Receiver+UE boombox, Kids: Receiver+Active speakers, WIMP-HIFI flac streaming.

If it flashes red it needs to be setup .
    you do that with the controller , it should show up as its mac Id .

Reciver does not work without network card , that's an option with the SB3 .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    If it flashes red it needs to be setup .
    you do that with the controller , it should show up as its mac Id .

Reciver does not work without network card , that's an option with the SB3 .
    does the OP have a CONTROLLER to use in setup. If not, you can use this:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...iguration-tool
    Location 1: VortexBox 4TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Location 2: VBA 3TB (2.3) > LMS 7.8 > Touch > Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (all ethernet except Radio)
    Office: Win7(64) > LMS 7.8 > Squeezelite
    Spares: VBA 4TB, SB3, Touch (3), Radio (3), CONTROLLER
    Controllers: iPhone4S & iPad2 (iPeng7 & Squeezepad), CONTROLLER, or SqueezePlay 7.8 on Win7(64) laptop
    Ripping (FLAC) - dbpoweramp, Tagging - mp3tag, Streaming - Spotify

Thanks for the info - I do have a controller and I've used it to setup my other 2 boxes with no issues. I've tried a few other things but the issue remains

- The red light stays on the slow flash mode regardless

- Nothing comes up on the controller even after hours. ( Other squeezeboxes are visible just fine)

- I am very suspicious that there are no flashes even when I plug in a network cable: The boxes normally give a flash on the network port very soon after power is applied.
    ( removing the network card gives a flash on network port but then the box is in error mode for no network card...)

Thanks for the link to the non - controller setup but I suspect it will have the same issu but certainly worth a try.

Thanks for the info - I do have a controller and I've used it to setup my other 2 boxes with no issues. I've tried a few other things but the issue remains

- The red light stays on the slow flash mode regardless

- Nothing comes up on the controller even after hours. ( Other squeezeboxes are visible just fine)

- I am very suspicious that there are no flashes even when I plug in a network cable: The boxes normally give a flash on the network port very soon after power is applied.
    ( removing the network card gives a flash on network port but then the box is in error mode for no network card...)

Thanks for the link to the non - controller setup but I suspect it will have the same issu but certainly worth a try.
    If it's wifi is non functional maybe you can set it up for wired conection with net::udap no wifi would explain why you can't reach it with the controller .

Btw do you run the latest server and controller fw ? You should there is afaik one fw version where the setup procedure is partly broken .

Wonder what the fw version on the reciever is ? If the original owner ever updated it ? ( another reason to why reciever is the worst squeezebox ) what happens if reciever fw and controller fw is very different can you still setup ?

If you get it running wired via net::udap and let it update from your server if needed ,it would then be interesting to know if it would work via the controller if reset it again .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Now sorted!!

Thanks for all the tips - after some debug with a helpful neighbour we reflowed the ethernet chip on the main board and hey presto, it fired up.

This explains why I had the odd situation of no flashing on the network connection when the wifi card was plugged in - must have been a couple of bad connections upsetting the ethernet and making it behave oddly. i.e. nothing wrong with the Wifi card.

Case closed!

Thanks for all the tips - after some debug with a helpful neighbour we reflowed the ethernet chip on the main board and hey presto, it fired up.

This explains why I had the odd situation of no flashing on the network connection when the wifi card was plugged in - must have been a couple of bad connections upsetting the ethernet and making it behave oddly. i.e. nothing wrong with the Wifi card.

Case closed!
    I think I have a similar issue - are you able to explain more about the fix? Is the ethernet chip the same housing the cable goes into or is it a separate chip?

Was it just a case of heating and sucking up the old solder, reseating the socket and re-soldering?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyleinen View Post
    I think I have a similar issue - are you able to explain more about the fix? Is the ethernet chip the same housing the cable goes into or is it a separate chip?

Was it just a case of heating and sucking up the old solder, reseating the socket and re-soldering?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    I had this same problem when setting up my duet which had been packed away for a year.
    At first I blamed a new router but soon enough realised that the problem was with the receiver:
    - Factory reset sequence did not work.
    - Test LED sequence did not work.
    - Ethernet port appeared dead (no lights & not detected by router).
    - Effectively 'stuck' in init mode.

So after reading this thread, I cracked the receiver open to have a look at the soldering around the ethernet chip. The solder looked fine so I tried re-seating the wifi card, which seemed like a more logical first step.

Initially, it still did not work. I went through the following sequence and it worked:
    - Powered it up with the wifi card removed to see if I got the correct purple LED error code. It gave 2 purple flashes as expected.
    - Disconnected the power and tried to get the test light sequence to work with card still removed (by holding down the front button while inserting power connector). The lights flashed as they should.
    - I disconnected the power, re-inserted the wifi card and viola! It works fine.

I'm not sure if it was simply a case of re-seating the card, or if the power up with no card inserted forced the hardware/firmware to re-initialise the card or something.

Anyway, if anyone with similar symptoms stumbles across this post, hope it helps.