Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    For those of you who are living together with a spouse or kids, I'd like to understand a bit better how you would like to use premium online streaming services. Ignore what's supported in LMS and Squeezebox today and instead think about how you would like it to work in the future.

One limitation I still want to apply is that with one online streaming account you will still only be able to stream a single song to one device or to multiple devices synchronized, basically no possibility to play different songs to different devices simultaneously as this usually is prohibited by the streaming providers and won't change in the future.

The questions I'm wondering about is related to if you have separate premium streaming service account for each family member or if you are using one account for the whole family.

If you have separate accounts, is the main purpose of that to be able to stream simultaneously or is it mainly to be able to keep track of individual favorites and playlists ?

If you have separate accounts, do you feel it would be important to be able to listen to the music from one of the account on all player devices in the house ?

If you have separate accounts, do you have accounts from different streaming providers or does all family member use the same streaming provider ?

If you have a single account for the whole family, are you severely missing the ability to keep track of individual playlists or favorites for each family member ?

Do you have any ideas how you would like online streaming services to work on your Squeezebox and portable devices from a family perspective ? How would your dream system handle it ?

I'll post a separate thread for local music, so don't use this thread to say that you don't use online services.
    1) one account - spotify

We aren't missing individual playlists for user, its myself & my girlfriend and she will just listen to what I set up - spotify usage is mainly me listening to new albums before I buy, playlist wise its local music and smart/dynamic playlists that are used 95% of the time

Dream system for me would be able to link online/local music more in terms of music discovery, so if I'd had a few Josh Rouse albums in my local library it would aggregate his online & local music and also alert me when he had a new album or single out rather then me always having to review websites/magazines etc. for new music

Quote Originally Posted by erland View Post
    For those of you who are living together with a spouse or kids, I'd like to understand a bit better how you would like to use premium online streaming services. Ignore what's supported in LMS and Squeezebox today and instead think about how you would like it to work in the future.

One limitation I still want to apply is that with one online streaming account you will still only be able to stream a single song to one device or to multiple devices synchronized, basically no possibility to play different songs to different devices simultaneously as this usually is prohibited by the streaming providers and won't change in the future.

The questions I'm wondering about is related to if you have separate premium streaming service account for each family member or if you are using one account for the whole family.

If you have separate accounts, is the main purpose of that to be able to stream simultaneously or is it mainly to be able to keep track of individual favorites and playlists ?
    There is a house Napster/ Rhaposdy account which all used (from 6 up!) Our 15 yearold has a separate free spotify account which she uses mainly to build playlists, I believe - no idea why - probably to do with the brand . We also have a Deezer account (free with my mobile phone contract - useful as it (i) has a slightly different library and (ii) means that I can take music that I don't own offline - e.g. into the car
    If you have separate accounts, do you feel it would be important to be able to listen to the music from one of the account on all player devices in the house ?
    Syncing is important to us (well, me!) - so yes. However the teen's music may follow her around like a bad smell.

If you have separate accounts, do you have accounts from different streaming providers or does all family member use the same streaming provider ?
    As above - Napster/ Rhapsody premium - Spotify free and Deezer as a part of a phone package

If you have a single account for the whole family, are you severely missing the ability to keep track of individual playlists or favorites for each family member ?
    I think the Teen would miss that ...

Do you have any ideas how you would like online streaming services to work on your Squeezebox and portable devices from a family perspective ? How would your dream system handle it ?
    Most of my use cases are covered at the moment...
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One

For me, this is the single most annoying issue with streaming music. My kids want to stream pop hits with Pandora and at the same time, I want to stream something other than pop hits with Pandora.

Quote Originally Posted by mweb View Post
    For me, this is the single most annoying issue with streaming music. My kids want to stream pop hits with Pandora and at the same time, I want to stream something other than pop hits with Pandora.
    Would separate Pandora accounts and separate mysb.com accounts get around this? Or would Pandora still limit it to one stream on the basis of the single outward-facing IP address on the router/modem?